Disneyland Christmas trip

sapphiresmiles

Earning My Ears
Hello!! I am an international Disney fan, who has done multiple trips to Disneyland and other Disney parks around the world. I’m eager to get my Disney fix, but due to work and school commitments, I’m unable to head to Disneyland until Christmas time. As a Disney (and Christmas) fan, would it still be worth making the trip at this time if year?
I am aware prices will increase and crowds will be crazy, but is that really a good enough reason to not go?

All advice and tips would be appreciated.
Thank you! :)

Are you talking about like the days between Christmas and New Years?

Yes those days are crazy busy with the park often hitting capacity, but I always say a crazy day at Disney is still between than a day at work!

We took our very first trip during this time and had an amazing trip you have to be willing to get there early, not leave if the park is at capacity, and bring a lot of patience.

We found dinning reservations for show packages and to see characters very helpful. Character lines were long and got long very fast.

The days that’s really seem to get slammed are the 26th- 29th...

We have people here who go every year Xmas-NYE so yes it’s possible to still have a good time. Do your research so you know what exactly you’re taking on, have an outline of a plan. Personally I wouldn’t do it as I can’t stand crowds like that but like I said, others can & have a great time. DLR is gorgeous during the Christmas season!

We go almost every year for five days or so at Christmas. Yes, it is crowded hitting park capacity almost every day. We plan for the crowds. It is still a lot of FUN and quite enjoyable. :cool1:

I love Christmas time at Disney! If you love Christmas and Disney, then it is definitely worth going, especially if you haven't been during this time yet. Special shows and special food! SO FUN!

I've gone for NYE a couple times. Yes it is super busy, but still worth it! If you cant go early during the holiday season, just plan for it to be crowed. At least you know what you are in for :crowded:

Kriss :tink:

With Christmas Day on a Wednesday this year, I’m taking the Mon/Tue off so I can arrive on Saturday and enjoy a few days before the super huge crowds descend between Christmas and New Year. It will still be very very busy but not manic. Last time I went at Christmas (in the 90’s) DL was a ghost town, that isn’t the case any more. I’ve since been at other times when the parks have reached capacity and while it’s obviously super busy, it’s manageable if you plan well.
Just make sure you have a few days for the park, a 1 day parkhopper is not the way to go. Get a 3, 4 or 5 day parkhopper, get and use MaxPass and arrive an hour before opening to take advantage of rope drop. I’m using my Magic Morning on Christmas Eve this year and booking a lunch for Christmas Day, making that an early start as well and leaving after lunch. You’ll also notice many will head to Tomorrowland, Fantasyland (or maybe Galaxy’s Edge soon) so first thing it’s often a good idea to head to other areas of DL first for at least a couple of your days. Head to your preference between TL/FL or SW:GE during your MM day and/or on a NON early entry day (Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun). If the crowds get too much, with a parkhopper you can escape to DCA in the afternoon, arranging fast passes through the app with MaxPass before you leave.
All the best.

We went at Christmas time and were at the parks on Dec 27 and 28. We went in knowing it would be very busy. So we made a short list of `must dos` ( like 3 -4 items each) and then everything else we get to do was èxtra` .

So as long as you set you expectations right, then it will be fine.

There’s nothing like Christmas time at Disneyland. Christmas time is the most magical time of the year and Disney is the most magical place there is. And the most magical time to be at Disneyland during Christmas is at night. You gotta be there for the fireworks either on main street or in front of the castle. Main Street might be better because it doesn’t require waiting an hour and a half for a good spot. Also if you’re there for the last hour it’s open lines will be shorter. There’s nothing like walking down Main Street as you’re leaving with Christmas music playing, the tree all lit up and not that many people left in the park. I’ve kinda made it a tradition the last couple years to be there until closing on Christmas Eve. People are probably back home or in the hotel with their kids getting ready for Christmas morning but it is almost empty. I have pictures from last year of paths all over the park completely empty on Christmas Eve

Are you talking about like the days between Christmas and New Years?

Yes those days are crazy busy with the park often hitting capacity, but I always say a crazy day at Disney is still between than a day at work!

We took our very first trip during this time and had an amazing trip you have to be willing to get there early, not leave if the park is at capacity, and bring a lot of patience.

We found dinning reservations for show packages and to see characters very helpful. Character lines were long and got long very fast.

The days that’s really seem to get slammed are the 26th- 29th...
I would probably go the days before Christmas and have two days after Christmas before flying home. Thank you for your advice ☺️

We have gone during Christmas fro the past three years. We have gone the days before Christmas the week of Christmas and the days between Christmas and new years. The busiest was probably the days between Christmas and new years. Last year we went with 12 people and did every single ride we wanted to do. All thanks to Max Pass and EMH. We would get there early go on like 8-10 rides at DL then head over to DCA and do 1 or 2 rides then head back to the hotel, pool, or DtD for shopping. Then we would go back to the parks and do which ever rides were available.

Christmas time at DL is beyond packed, but we would not change it for anything. The decorations, the music playing, I love. Chirstmas at DL is my favorite!away.
I have said i will not go during this whole SWGE mess or during the whole summer, but who am i kidding if i get the time off and can pull it off there is no doubt i will be there in 2 seconds.

I went December 28th (2017) with a parkhopper, and it was packed. DL even got to full capacity.
We followed an online guide, and I forget which one, but we added our preferences to it and it was seamless.
Between 9am-12am, we got 19 rides done (both parks), including all E-tickets besides matterhorn.
Get maxpass if you can afford it, we truly believe it was the reason that we were able to hit so many rides on SUCH a busy day.

This does not apply directly to the OP because of the dates they are asking about, but we went on January 2 this year. The Christmas decor is still all up, they were still doing the Christmas fireworks and snow on Main Street, etc. The food booths were still going at DCA for the holiday treats. It was very busy but not close-to-capacity busy at all. This just happened to be when we could go, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Missed the horrific crowds but got to experience the decor, music, overlays on rides, food and so forth. No Christmas parties was the only drawback to going at this time compared to the actual Christmas time.

This does not apply directly to the OP because of the dates they are asking about, but we went on January 2 this year. The Christmas decor is still all up, they were still doing the Christmas fireworks and snow on Main Street, etc. The food booths were still going at DCA for the holiday treats. It was very busy but not close-to-capacity busy at all. This just happened to be when we could go, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Missed the horrific crowds but got to experience the decor, music, overlays on rides, food and so forth. No Christmas parties was the only drawback to going at this time compared to the actual Christmas time.

We frequently go in the days after New Years before the Holiday season officially ends for the reasons you mentioned and always enjoy it. There are no Christmas parties at DLR (only at WDW) so you didn't miss anything, actually.

Disney at Christmas time is seriously one of our favorite times to go! It is everything you love about Disney and Christmas combined into one .. making your trip even MORE magical! I'd say GO!

We frequently go in the days after New Years before the Holiday season officially ends for the reasons you mentioned and always enjoy it. There are no Christmas parties at DLR (only at WDW) so you didn't miss anything, actually.
Ha ha thanks for pointing that out about the Christmas parties!! We live in Dallas and go to both parks often enough that I sometimes get confused on what we did where!! Agree that it is a great time to go!

That’s what we are planning on and hoping for ourselves this year. Actually planning on arriving New Year’s Eve, but not going into the parks till New Year’s Day, which also happens to be my DW’s birthday. Hoping it won’t be as bad NYD (at least in the morning) because everyone was partying the night before. Planning to stay through 1/5. Been debating on driving or flying (we’re in AZ). Thinking driving to avoid airports that time of the year.

We went at Christmas time and were at the parks on Dec 27 and 28. We went in knowing it would be very busy. So we made a short list of `must dos` ( like 3 -4 items each) and then everything else we get to do was èxtra` .

So as long as you set you expectations right, then it will be fine.
We’re going to Disneyland right before Christmas this year. Last time we visited a Disney park it was WDW June 2015. I knew it would be hot, humid and crowded. So I planned (or tried to) accordingly. This will be first Disneyland visit, so I’m trying to find wise planning tips. Max Pass obviously. We’re staying at the DL Hotel. Fortunately we gain theee hours flying from eastern standard time, I see that parks do reach capacity, so be there at rope drop.

I’ve been at Christmas time before and I didn’t feel it was really that crazy. I hate crowds so if it had been that chaotic it would have been a big deal to me. We were there over New Years and on New Years Day it was pretty quiet by the evening. We got on some of the big rides over and over again with no wait. Anytime is a good time to visit Disneyland and you’ll love all the decorations and activities they add at Christmas!

I’ve been at Christmas time before and I didn’t feel it was really that crazy. I hate crowds so if it had been that chaotic it would have been a big deal to me. We were there over New Years and on New Years Day it was pretty quiet by the evening. We got on some of the big rides over and over again with no wait. Anytime is a good time to visit Disneyland and you’ll love all the decorations and activities they add at Christmas!
Good to know! I’m really looking forward. Checking/re-watching all relevant Dis Unplugged shows. I’ve recently started listening to the “Connecting with Walt” podcast. What a treasure Michael Bowling is with all things classic Disneyland. ✨

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter