Disneyland bubble

LoveDaisy

DIS Veteran
We are talking about going to California to visit some friends and possibly stopping at Disneyland while we are there. One of things I love about disney world is the bubble. My question is if you are in Disneyland can you see the outside world?

I recently did a program at Wharton that ended with a trip to Gettysburg with an expert to talk about Gettysburg and leadership lessons. I found it distracting and it took away from the experience (for me) that I could see a McDonald’s sign while walking around and hearing about Gettysburg. It made me wonder if Disneyland is similar?

The bubble is not the same as at WDW. If you stay on-site, you are kind of in it, and you'd never have to go out into the streets of Anaheim, however you are still very close to the city. You can see out into the city from the ferris wheel at DCA and other rides in that area of the park. It's still pretty enclosed, though a lot smaller. There are only three Disney resort hotels and they don't have Moderate or Value tier pricing. That said, the area of Anaheim immediately surrounding the parks is pretty nice, if super touristy. It's a bit of a different experience, but still good.

I feel the bubble for sure when I stay at the Grand Californian

I just go back and forth from the hotel to the park and I’m in a bubble bliss
But even when I stay across the street I still feel relatively in the bubble, even if there are a few street vendors and fast street cars

But even when I stay across the street I still feel relatively in the bubble, even if there are a few street vendors and fast street cars

Yeah, I think if you are right there on Harbor, you can still feel relatively close to Disney, even if not "in the bubble."

If you ride the monorail you will see the outside world. And as @BrianL from the Pal Around and possibly the Incredicoster and a few others in DCA. But for the most part Disneyland was designed to block out the outside world while indie the park.

Yeah, Disneyland has a berm and is relatively secure from outside intrusion. I think you can see out from The Matterhorn, but you'd kind of have to be looking. DCA is a little more open as it doesn't have a berm. Honestly, seeing out isn't so bad as seeing in from the back - the oustide of Radiator Springs is kind of disappointing! 🤣

There are actually places where you can see out into "the real world" in WDW, but they are rare. One that I can think of is at the top of the Summit Plummet - the tallest waterslide at Blizzard Beach. You can see all four parks, Disney Springs, some buildings in Orlando proper, even the ferris wheel on I-Drive! It's all way out there though, but it's a great view.

Last edited:
When Disneyland was built in the 1950's Walt Disney bought the land he could afford, out in the middle of what was then a lot of orange trees and not much else. As soon as others realized what a cash cow Disneyland would be, all kinds of motels, restaurants, etc. sprang up right on all the streets surrounding DL. Because Walt Disney hated that so much, when he bought property in Florida, he made sure he had plenty of space to create a bubble.

When California Adventure was built on what essentially was once the DL parking lot, the Disney people did their best to enclose the Disney hotels and parks into what felt more like a California version of WDW. But please don't be shocked when you first get to Disneyland. Just be amazed at what a great job the Imagineers did in shielding visitors from the outside world, considering what they had to work with! Once you're inside the Disney complex you'll feel pretty much isolated from all the tackiness. Put on your rose colored glasses, and you'll be fine!

I never notice the outside world when in the parks.

If you stay off site, then yes, you leave the "bubble" but it's not that bad. We did it for decades. If you want to avoid that completely, you'll need to stay at the Grand Californian since it's basically in the park.

Personally, on my recent, first, visit to WDW I felt quiet disconnected from Disney. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED WDW for it's vastness. It did, truly, feel like a World and I loved exploring it, and all the amazing Resorts via all the different forms of transport. But, I did miss the cosy, immersive feel I get as soon as I step into the plaza at Disneyland. That, to me, is a bubble. Surrounded by Disney on all sides; the music, the sights, the sounds, the smells. No matter where I turn, it's Disney. Didn't get that at WDW.

Personally, on my recent, first, visit to WDW I felt quiet disconnected from Disney. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED WDW for it's vastness. It did, truly, feel like a World and I loved exploring it, and all the amazing Resorts via all the different forms of transport. But, I did miss the cosy, immersive feel I get as soon as I step into the plaza at Disneyland. That, to me, is a bubble. Surrounded by Disney on all sides; the music, the sights, the sounds, the smells. No matter where I turn, it's Disney. Didn't get that at WDW.
completely agree. I never understood how at WDW people say you are in a bubble, yet in a lot of cases you have to wait for your bus and then you are in traffic and won't reach a park for at least 10 minutes. At disneyland if you stay onsite you will be in the bubble. If you stay offiste you definitely enter the "real world" once you leave each night.

While Only the parking areas...DTD and the parks are apart of the bubble most the around it feel apart of it still, like at least for me I've never felt unsafe or anything around the walkable hotels near the park

completely agree. I never understood how at WDW people say you are in a bubble, yet in a lot of cases you have to wait for your bus and then you are in traffic and won't reach a park for at least 10 minutes. At disneyland if you stay onsite you will be in the bubble. If you stay offiste you definitely enter the "real world" once you leave each night.

Yeah, but the roads are all Disney roads - it's not like you are out in the city or anything and you don't see all these non-Disney chain stores, etc. There is a McDonalds though, but it's a pretty fancy one. 😁

and a bible thumper with a megaphone. lol

Personally, on my recent, first, visit to WDW I felt quiet disconnected from Disney. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED WDW for it's vastness. It did, truly, feel like a World and I loved exploring it, and all the amazing Resorts via all the different forms of transport. But, I did miss the cozy, immersive feel I get as soon as I step into the plaza at Disneyland. That, to me, is a bubble. Surrounded by Disney on all sides; the music, the sights, the sounds, the smells. No matter where I turn, it's Disney. Didn't get that at WDW.
True, not like there isn't freeways and traffic inside "the bubble" but it doesn't feel as bad as the freeways & traffic outside the bubble.

I definitely feel like I'm in a bubble when I stay on property. You walk from your hotel to the parks through downtown Disney, so there's no need to see much of Anaheim.

You won't see the outside world from inside the parks, aside from what other people have mentioned. But it's not like you're standing in Fantasyland and can see Anaheim roads or anything like that.

Heck, some twit on their phone talking about work while in line can burst the bubble for me for a few minutes - to the point where I'll get out of line lol. But I think if you stay within a short walk of Disneyland you'll feel the Disney magic the whole trip. The parks are more walkable without needing any buses - with many wonderful themes - I think you'll love how similar but different it will feel! It's very cool to realize you have more than one Disney to love :) Enjoy!

Yeah, but the roads are all Disney roads - it's not like you are out in the city or anything and you don't see all these non-Disney chain stores, etc. There is a McDonalds though, but it's a pretty fancy one. 😁

I see people say this a lot about it being "Disney roads" but it just felt like regular non-Disney roads to me. I felt like we were leaving the "bubble" each time we got on the bus. I don't necessarily mind though. I don't need a bubble to have a good time.

I see people say this a lot about it being "Disney roads" but it just felt like regular non-Disney roads to me. I felt like we were leaving the "bubble" each time we got on the bus. I don't necessarily mind though. I don't need a bubble to have a good time.

Well, it's not the roads per se, it's the fact that there is no "city" surrounding them. It's like being in the forest, well, the swamp is more like it. Even the fire department building is themed. It just provides a different feel. Granted, riding a bus is never that special. Of course, if you can use Monorail, Skyliner, or Water Taxi, you are doing a little better.

... It just provides a different feel. Granted, riding a bus is never that special. Of course, if you can use Monorail, Skyliner, or Water Taxi, you are doing a little better.
In Anaheim the ARTS buses are the same buses used to travel between the Toy Story offsite parking area (Mickey and Friends parking structure has a tram) as are used between the area hotels and the park. Cheap, a great App (shows where each bus is in real time - called A-WayWeGo), no car seat needed for kids, and pretty much only people going to/from Disney are on it. Not a perfect bubble, but not bad at all and saves so much in steps and money to be able to use offsite hotels within 5-10 minutes of the park entrance!

Trust me, the second you step into Disneyland you will be COVERED in bubbles! Every other kid has one of those bubble-blaster things and you won't be able to see more than 10 feet for all the bubble magic flying everywhere.

That's what you mean, right?
😂 Oh my gosh, I almost spit out my drink. Ugh, the bubbles! One time they flew into my eyes and then my mouth (gross). It was like an all out bubble assault!

Trust me, the second you step into Disneyland you will be COVERED in bubbles! Every other kid has one of those bubble-blaster things and you won't be able to see more than 10 feet for all the bubble magic flying everywhere.

That's what you mean, right?
😂 Oh my gosh, I almost spit out my drink. Ugh, the bubbles! One time they flew into my eyes and then my mouth (gross). It was like an all out bubble assault!
I agree, the bubbles can be overwhelming. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter