• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Bound Roadtrip Playlist

Bubblegum1286

Mouseketeer
We are driving from West Texas (Amarillo, Lubbock area) to Anaheim as a family of SEVEN in nine days. I'm so excited I could burst! One tradition we have is creating the perfect playlist for the road, and I've been working hard on this one.

This trip is VERY special, because our destination is a complete surprise for our kids (ages 6, 4, and 3). They don't have any clue that we're going to Disneyland or even to California. They know we're going to the Grand Canyon (we had to come up with an explanation for why we were buying all of these vacation snacks and beach towels), but that's all the know.

So I have a TON of songs from Disney movies (subliminal messages for the kids on the road maybe?), and a few songs about California. Any other suggestions??

Let me know your favorites that get you in the mood for a trip to DLR and California! Maybe I can add to our growing play list! :)

When Can I See You Again? by Owl City (from Wreck it Ralph). Once you see PtN, you will never get it out of your head. Beach Boys is also great for a trip to CA.

Enjoy your trip! I wish I could surprise my kids, but it's never worked out. Somehow my oldest always finds out. I think it's awesome that your kids have no idea so far.

When Can I See You Again? by Owl City (from Wreck it Ralph). Once you see PtN, you will never get it out of your head. Beach Boys is also great for a trip to CA.

Enjoy your trip! I wish I could surprise my kids, but it's never worked out. Somehow my oldest always finds out. I think it's awesome that your kids have no idea so far.

Oooooh! That's such a great one! That's one that we dance to when it comes on. :) Love it! Thanks. Got it!

I also downloaded "Grim Grinning Ghosts," "Yo Ho Yo Ho," and "On the Open Road" (from A Goofy Movie). I'm still open for suggestions, everybody! :)

Oooooh! That's such a great one! That's one that we dance to when it comes on. :) Love it! Thanks. Got it!

I also downloaded "Grim Grinning Ghosts," "Yo Ho Yo Ho," and "On the Open Road" (from A Goofy Movie). I'm still open for suggestions, everybody! :)

I made a playlist for our Star Wars Half Marathon trip in January. Not entirely kid friendly, but some of it is! We tried to pick stuff that made us think of SoCal, either through the band, the lyrics, or the video. A few suggestions..
  • Katy Perry - California Girls
  • Len - Steal My Sunshine
  • Dru Hill/Will Smith - Wild Wild West
  • Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealin
  • Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
  • Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swingin

Since you'll be driving that route- Rt 66! added bonus that it's in Cars. Also from Cars- Life is a Highway.
Our family likes to play Holiday Road from the Family Vacation movie on our road trips.

I also downloaded... "On the Open Road" (from A Goofy Movie).

Best choice EVER! Actually, the entire "A Goofy Movie" soundtrack is awesome. If you are so inclined, you can set-up Disney stations on Pandora that play a good selection of stuff. You should have something that you can queue up when it's time for the reveal, like when you can see DL and the kids realize what's going on, like "When You Wish Upon a Star" or something (or whatever they would automatically associate with Disney).

We always drive to Disneyland and every single trip, as soon as we pull out of the driveway, I put on "Welcome" from Brother Bear, but the version from the Parade of Dreams (I still mourn the loss of that parade). The trip literally does not officially start until that song has played. Sometimes I wait until we get on the freeway if we have to make a few stops first.

I also like "Celebrate You" by Corbin Bleu and "Good Life" by One Republic. Gotta love Disney campaign songs!

After a few "I'm pumped because my vacation has started" songs, we usually put a book on. It keeps DH's attention without distracting him and makes the drive seem shorter to us.

California Girls of course, by the Beach Boys! A few other Beach Boy surfing songs....
I am following for new ideas, though. :)

--Lori

I love that you are keeping the DL surprise from the kids. We drove to DL with our DD when she was about 5 and we didn't tell her until it was obvious that we were not going her grandmother's... like we said we were.

We got into the car at 3AM and she slept for about half the trip... We made her guess but when she figured it out, she was very happy. It's an 8 hour drive from home to DLR.

songs from Disney movies (subliminal messages for the kids on the road maybe?), and a few songs about California. Any other suggestions??

Let me know your favorites that get you in the mood for a trip to DLR and California! Maybe I can add to our growing play list! :)

"California Dreamin" from Mamas & Papas

PS that will be a wonderful trip[/QUOTE]

We always drive to Disneyland and every single trip, as soon as we pull out of the driveway, I put on "Welcome" from Brother Bear, but the version from the Parade of Dreams (I still mourn the loss of that parade). The trip literally does not officially start until that song has played. Sometimes I wait until we get on the freeway if we have to make a few stops first.

I also like "Celebrate You" by Corbin Bleu and "Good Life" by One Republic. Gotta love Disney campaign songs!

After a few "I'm pumped because my vacation has started" songs, we usually put a book on. It keeps DH's attention without distracting him and makes the drive seem shorter to us.

You sound just like me! Love these two. I made our WDW family video to these two songs, and I totally get waiting for the freeway, haha.

I also just love some of the upbeat Disney songs-

Just Can't Wait to be King
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride
Trashin the Camp
Zippidy do da
Under the Sea
Be our Guest
Gaston's song (don't know real name)
Happy Working Song
That's how you know you love her
Life is a highway
Real Gone

Too many good ones, you might already have all these.

I love to listen to the ride music. I have the Disney Classics album and my favorite is the Splash Mountain music.

I don't have any songs to add, but will say I love this thread. I will be downloading these song suggestions for my next trip. And I have to say that I love the surprises. It gets harder as the kids get older, but still fun. I just got back from a trip with my 20 year old son. He thought we were staying at a non-Disney hotel that had a 15 minute walk to the parks. I'll never forget the look on his face when our taxi drove up to the Grand Californian.

I love Elizabeth South's recent Disney album. Elizabeth won Ryan Seacrest's Frozen Cover contest and her voice is made for Disney. I actually think she's better than some of the original singers. Here is a link to the video of her Disney medley, which is on the album. It's like she's channeling princesses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter