Disneyland and DCA really need to rethink their mobile ordering / cashless system. It's now counter effective

15th or later, likely later.

but part of the reason for mobile orders is to keep people physically out of buildings that have the capacity restrictions. As people migrate from mobile to in-person as those restrictions fall, it should be closer to what it was before (that is, functional), subject to staffing.

So what's the excuse for places with outdoor registers like Hungry Bear, Pacific Wharf area, Paradise Garden Grill, Hollywood Lounge, Award Weiners, Cozy Cones, Tropical Hideaway, Bengal BBQ, etc?

After our visit this week I sent this to the Feedback section at Disneyland.
Those specific examples are what DL needs. You told them exactly what was wrong and what it would have been like if they were the customer. It's definitely not a good experience, especially at their price point. As a business manager, I agree that all the problems are because of management or lack thereof.

So what's the excuse for places with outdoor registers like Hungry Bear, Pacific Wharf area, Paradise Garden Grill, Hollywood Lounge, Award Weiners, Cozy Cones, Tropical Hideaway, Bengal BBQ, etc?

Staffing - that’s more of a September/October solution more than anything.

Staffing - that’s more of a September/October solution more than anything.

Why, specifically Sept/Oct? I have seen reports that CMs that were called back have refused to return to work. Don't you lose your unemployment benefits if you refuse to come back when called?

Why, specifically Sept/Oct? I have seen reports that CMs that were called back have refused to return to work. Don't you lose your unemployment benefits if you refuse to come back when called?
I know this is off topic, but being a California employer, I wanted to answer this. There's a high probability that the EDD will never know if someone was called back to work and refused. Employers get a notice after the employee files a claim and we have 10 days to respond. After that, we get a notice about how much money we are liable for from our unemployment compensation account and then we don't hear about it ever again. The employees have to certify every week that they were able to work, but couldn't find any work by checking a box. The EDD has never asked me if I have or haven't called people back to work.

I know this is off topic, but being a California employer, I wanted to answer this. There's a high probability that the EDD will never know if someone was called back to work and refused. Employers get a notice after the employee files a claim and we have 10 days to respond. After that, we get a notice about how much money we are liable for from our unemployment compensation account and then we don't hear about it ever again. The employees have to certify every week that they were able to work, but couldn't find any work by checking a box. The EDD has never asked me if I have or haven't called people back to work.

this is correct, and gig work is even more notoriously difficult to track. I have friends/acquaintances collecting UI and working under the table (tutoring, door dash, babysitting, etc…).

I think while some of this will ease June/July, it will really be September when you have the combination of back-to-school and expanded UI benefits falling off before food lines are before-times normal again.

On top of that, you are not currently required to look for work in order to receive UE compensation.

We can argue all we want about Disney should pay workers more but at the end of the day they were working for Disney before for the same amount of money so what has changed? The biggest factors are the extra unemployment and schools being closed so childcare is an issue.

And no, I don't think Disney needs to pay more but that is up to Disney to decide.

What has changed? Higher cost of living, for one thing. Prices are going up. Gas alone in California is $4.50 a gallon some places.

If you’re referring to unemployment benefits, that’s not causing the shortage. Low pay is, among other things.
Also, California has been really slow at reopening schools. Parents who have to watch their kids and oversee distance learning aren’t out in the work force, at least not in jobs that you can’t do from home.

How are things at Craftsman Grill and DTD?
On our recent resort-only stay at VGC (out of state visitors), we ordered breakfast every morning from Craftsman Grill. The longest wait to order was 30 minutes, and food was ready before, or a few minutes after clicking the button and walking over from the villas.

On our recent resort-only stay at VGC (out of state visitors), we ordered breakfast every morning from Craftsman Grill. The longest wait to order was 30 minutes, and food was ready before, or a few minutes after clicking the button and walking over from the villas.
Was it only mobile order?

The hotel just opened to non guests today. Curious how that will change mobile order wait times.

Re a post upthread.....so if you try to order in person (due to food allergies) they'll turn you away at some places due to 'mobile order only'? Wowsers. We just got back from WDW and I was able to walk up to at any eatery and order in person. Allergy-ordering was available but I was advised by more than one CM that it was safer to order in person. I also never saw huge lines of people waiting for their mobile orders at any of the 4 parks either. Nor was my wait any longer than normal (for an allergy order).

DL must not have their ducks in a row on this issue! Of course WDW has been open for almost a year now. Hopefully DL will wake up and smell the mobile-ordered coffee and work on their food service issues.

Also, the last time I checked the DL app (pre-pandemic) a lot (if not most) of the mobile order eateries didn't even list their allergy menu, it told you to walk up and speak to someone.

Re a post upthread.....so if you try to order in person (due to food allergies) they'll turn you away at some places due to 'mobile order only'? Wowsers. We just got back from WDW and I was able to walk up to at any eatery and order in person. Allergy-ordering was available but I was advised by more than one CM that it was safer to order in person.

Also, the last time I checked the DL app (pre-pandemic) a lot (if not most) of the mobile order eateries didn't even list their allergy menu, it told you to walk up and speak to someone.
Yes, there was a woman dealing with this at Bengal BBQ when I was there on Thursday. I didn’t entirely hear the situation, but she was trying to get to the counter to talk about an allergy, but they wouldn’t let her until her order was ready and she then waited in line like everyone. When she got up front, she said she needed then sauceless due to an allergy, so they dumped an entire tray of skewers in the trash - like 6-7 of them. Then she was there for a long time while they prepared sauceless ones.

Everyone involved was annoyed - the woman mentioned that she’d been dealing with this all day because you can’t customize the orders, they tell you to talk to someone in person, but then you can’t GET to anyone in person. The CMs were frustrated. It’s a dumb system.

Yes, there was a woman dealing with this at Bengal BBQ when I was there on Thursday. I didn’t entirely hear the situation, but she was trying to get to the counter to talk about an allergy, but they wouldn’t let her until her order was ready and she then waited in line like everyone. When she got up front, she said she needed then sauceless due to an allergy, so they dumped an entire tray of skewers in the trash - like 6-7 of them. Then she was there for a long time while they prepared sauceless ones.

Everyone involved was annoyed - the woman mentioned that she’d been dealing with this all day because you can’t customize the orders, they tell you to talk to someone in person, but then you can’t GET to anyone in person. The CMs were frustrated. It’s a dumb system.

Wow. Just WOW! I hope she gets in touch with DL's special diets team as well as guest services. It's really ridiculous to have to order something you know you can't eat (and see good food tossed) just to be able to place an order in person. If WDW can figure this out there's no reason DL can't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter