• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland and DCA really need to rethink their mobile ordering / cashless system. It's now counter effective

This is why I am glad we are not going till September. We went to Disney World in March over spring break but we had sit down's reserved for each dinner but for lunches we had to figure out right when we got in the park each day what the heck we wanted which is hard if you just ate breakfast because it doesn't always sound good when you are not hungry yet. But it did work fairly well. We placed our orders as soon as we got there and always made them for around 11. Pretty much the first available window. We made sure to get there as soon as our window opened and we had to wait a little bit but not too bad. It sounds like chaos at Disneyland and I am hoping with the state opening up in June that they do away with this.

On the other hand, we mobile ordered a green milk in GE with an immediate return window and it was handed to us within 30 seconds. Why can't the Dole Whip stand do this? It's the same thing.
And this is how Mobile Order always worked pre-Covid. I swear our food was always ready within a couple of minutes!

Do you think they should be paid less than that? To deal with thousands of people a day to barely make ends meet? We want CMs to be happy and cheerful all day, and I bet they would be more inclined to do so if they didn’t have to worry about making enough money to pay rent. And it’s not a situation where paying more would cause the company to go out of business. Disney could 100% afford to pay more; they just don’t want to. Those are also the facts.
Yep, this! I charge at least $25/hour to babysit these days (though not tax free sadly; I claim the income). And families will pay it. People would still pay the price if Disney increased prices a bit more to cover higher employment costs. Or just take some from the higher ups lol but that will never happen.
They don’t need to increase prices that much to pay a higher wage. And there may be outcry from some, but many others will happily pay it. We live 6 hours away, in the Bay Area, and save for months in order to afford going for just 2 days. If we’re willing to do it on a below-median income for our area, I guarantee others are willing to do it too. A few extra dollars won’t bother me for a once a year trip.
If they wanted/needed more employees, they could do it. It’s not like Disney is some small business where they can’t afford to pay $20+/hour. Same goes for Walmart or other huge corporations; they just don’t want to do it. Don’t get me wrong, I understand why they don’t want to. But they don’t actually have a good reason not to pay better, other than they know they can pay less and still have people willing to work (for now at least)
We can argue all we want about Disney should pay workers more but at the end of the day they were working for Disney before for the same amount of money so what has changed? The biggest factors are the extra unemployment and schools being closed so childcare is an issue.

And no, I don't think Disney needs to pay more but that is up to Disney to decide.

We can argue all we want about Disney should pay workers more but at the end of the day they were working for Disney before for the same amount of money so what has changed? The biggest factors are the extra unemployment and schools being closed so childcare is an issue.

And no, I don't think Disney needs to pay more but that is up to Disney to decide.

The starting wage at DLR for a full-time worker is more money than unemployment (even with the extra federal money). Plus they receive benefits, which you don’t get while on unemployment. The situation is much more complex and there are many factors contributing to it. For example, some DLR workers are local college students. A lot of college students opted to to live at home and attend school online for the last year rather than pay the high Orange County cost of living. Outside of college students, some people have taken this opportunity to move out of the area permanently. While things are reopening and a vaccine is available, there is still a pandemic and there are some people who just don’t feel comfortable with the exposure level that comes with being a DLR employee. This could be because they or someone in their household is unable to get the vaccine, they or someone in their household has a compromised immune system, or they are in the age group more likely to develop a serious case of COVID if they have it.

Last edited:

Are the dining reservations still showing up at 60 days? Or are they delayed a bit?

I'm so spooked about dining I'm preparing for this like I'm going to war and going to set an alarm to get all our dining reserved!

On 4/30, we put in an order for dole whip at the Tropical Hideaway. Never actually clicked “I’m here” (we forgot about it, otherwise we would have cancelled because hopefully that opens up availability?)

At the end of the day, I got an email that the order had been cancelled that says, “You will not be charged.” I didn’t get any other emails about that order. Not sure about the credit card and whether anything went pending at any point, but we didn’t get charged for it in the end.
This was really helpful information, thank you!

Are the dining reservations still showing up at 60 days? Or are they delayed a bit?

I'm so spooked about dining I'm preparing for this like I'm going to war and going to set an alarm to get all our dining reserved!

Definitely not. It's really random at this point, it seems.

After our visit this week I sent this to the Feedback section at Disneyland. The situation to get food was bad. With many places closed, others at 1/4 capacity, very limited menus, and sit down restaurants booked, the few open were overwhelmed. They were FULLY staffed but the order system made it difficult for both customers and cast. Example: Before on a busy full Disneyland day you could go to Gibson Girl and get ice cream in 20 minutes at the longest, with same amount of Cast members. (3-4 customers vs 1 served at a time). My example of the Gibson Girl shows this.

"It was fun visiting Disneyland for a few days again. The Cast Members were all great, but only able to provide experiences and food at a POOR (F grade) level.

The Mobile Order system, as put in place by management, was very badly designed and run. It would be over run and shut down often during the day (Bengal BBQ, Gibson Girl, Tropical Hideaway, etc.) Management put in rules and procedures that hindered efficiency.

Examples: Bengal BBQ: Ordered at 11:35am for 1:45 pickup. At 1:37 received that order was ready and let the system know you are "Here". Went to click on Here, and got a screen that the system was down. Walked over to staff, backed out and retried and was able to click here. Was told to leave and wait about 20 minutes until the "Purple" Screen showed ready to return. The screen showed Purple ready for pickup. Returned an told to wait next to the River Bell Terrace wall to be placed into the line by another Cast Member. That person than put you in a line to get to the first cast member again, for the third time!!! After that you were "checked in" again and were assigned another line to stand in!!! When you got through that line you were again asked your order number you just gave to the other Cast Member. Then your order was looked up again, and the Server began to filling the drink order and waited for the order to finish being prepared. She was hampered by cast members discussing that the system had shut down orders again, standing in front of the final prep area. We got our "ready" food after standing around for an additional 38 minutes??? WOW

Gibson Girl was almost as bad, The Cast Member gatekeeper was only allowing one or two orders at a time in the store. You had a full staff (8-9) mostly waiting to fill one order at a time. Cast members were bored with 4 or more waiting for an order that did not come, some were resting on their elbows or yawing. What a Joke. It took more than an hour to get a ice cream cone.

The Cast was trying, and had a good attitude. MANAGEMENT procedures prevented them from doing better than PISS POOR.

I know Management will never read this, or allow this to be forwarded to them. Even before restrictions, the food service was in great need of improvement, and has not kept up with modern procedures used in fast food (IN N Out).

Ps: Having to walk to and from the M&F parking is a great hindrance to returning again soon.

Thanks for allowing me to suggest what needs to be improved.

Now you can press the button to send me the reply that Management wrote. On how Management is working to provide wonderful experience (RETURN ON INVESTMENT) and will blame and punish the Cast for the problems."

Jack ....................

After our visit this week I sent this to the Feedback section at Disneyland. The situation to get food was bad. With many places closed, others at 1/4 capacity, very limited menus, and sit down restaurants booked, the few open were overwhelmed. They were FULLY staffed but the order system made it difficult for both customers and cast. Example: Before on a busy full Disneyland day you could go to Gibson Girl and get ice cream in 20 minutes at the longest, with same amount of Cast members. (3-4 customers vs 1 served at a time). My example of the Gibson Girl shows this.

"It was fun visiting Disneyland for a few days again. The Cast Members were all great, but only able to provide experiences and food at a POOR (F grade) level.

The Mobile Order system, as put in place by management, was very badly designed and run. It would be over run and shut down often during the day (Bengal BBQ, Gibson Girl, Tropical Hideaway, etc.) Management put in rules and procedures that hindered efficiency.

Examples: Bengal BBQ: Ordered at 11:35am for 1:45 pickup. At 1:37 received that order was ready and let the system know you are "Here". Went to click on Here, and got a screen that the system was down. Walked over to staff, backed out and retried and was able to click here. Was told to leave and wait about 20 minutes until the "Purple" Screen showed ready to return. The screen showed Purple ready for pickup. Returned an told to wait next to the River Bell Terrace wall to be placed into the line by another Cast Member. That person than put you in a line to get to the first cast member again, for the third time!!! After that you were "checked in" again and were assigned another line to stand in!!! When you got through that line you were again asked your order number you just gave to the other Cast Member. Then your order was looked up again, and the Server began to filling the drink order and waited for the order to finish being prepared. She was hampered by cast members discussing that the system had shut down orders again, standing in front of the final prep area. We got our "ready" food after standing around for an additional 38 minutes??? WOW

Gibson Girl was almost as bad, The Cast Member gatekeeper was only allowing one or two orders at a time in the store. You had a full staff (8-9) mostly waiting to fill one order at a time. Cast members were bored with 4 or more waiting for an order that did not come, some were resting on their elbows or yawing. What a Joke. It took more than an hour to get a ice cream cone.

The Cast was trying, and had a good attitude. MANAGEMENT procedures prevented them from doing better than PISS POOR.

I know Management will never read this, or allow this to be forwarded to them. Even before restrictions, the food service was in great need of improvement, and has not kept up with modern procedures used in fast food (IN N Out).

Ps: Having to walk to and from the M&F parking is a great hindrance to returning again soon.

Now you can press the button to send me the reply that Management wrote. On how Management is working to provide wonderful experience (RETURN ON INVESTMENT) and will blame and punish the Cast for the problems."

Slow clap for you.

This is why I strolled over to Salt & Straw and got 2x better ice cream in < 3 minutes start to finish.

And as a shareholder I do appreciate the shareholder value being created:duck:

I gotta think the Disneyland leadership team is working hard to solve this major pain point if for no other reason than lost revenue. People are being punished for wanting to buy Disneyland food. This will suppress $ spent per guest, and so they will be highly motivated to resolve.

I gotta think the Disneyland leadership team is working hard to solve this major pain point if for no other reason than lost revenue. People are being punished for wanting to buy Disneyland food. This will suppress $ spent per guest, and so they will be highly motivated to resolve.

Highly doubt it. Its been a month. It's been bad this whole time and just getting worse as they have increased capacity.

All they need to do is go back to operating like they used to. It doesn't violate any covid protocols to have open registers with humans taking food orders.

Probably spending zero time/effort/resources on this problem because the whole issue will go away sometime on or after June 15th.

I wouldn't spend time on this, either.

Probably spending zero time/effort/resources on this problem because the whole issue will go away sometime on or after June 15th.

I wouldn't spend time on this, either.
How is this going away on 6/15? They might have fewer restrictions, but they'll also have more guests.

How is this going away on 6/15? They might have fewer restrictions, but they'll also have more guests.

Once they drop dining capacity and distancing restrictions (earliest legally allowed is 6/15, but will likely persist until Disney Q4 per Chapek, but who knows), that should shuttle more orders away from mobile and more at counter.

Once they drop dining capacity and distancing restrictions (earliest legally allowed is 6/15, but will likely persist until Disney Q4 per Chapek, but who knows), that should shuttle more orders away from mobile and more at counter.
Except the mobile ordering isn't a state mandate now. They can take orders at the counter now and they are just choosing not to. I hope they move it more back to normal, but the 15th isn't a magical date for that.

They also just need to open up more places. Part of the problem is that they only have like 50% of the restaurants open and everyone is fighting for food from the same few places. I mean, back on slower days pre pandemic, they still had every food place open for business.

Except the mobile ordering isn't a state mandate now. They can take orders at the counter now and they are just choosing not to. I hope they move it more back to normal, but the 15th isn't a magical date for that.

15th or later, likely later.

but part of the reason for mobile orders is to keep people physically out of buildings that have the capacity restrictions. As people migrate from mobile to in-person as those restrictions fall, it should be closer to what it was before (that is, functional), subject to staffing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter