DisneyBand+ Activation for family members?

Forever Disney Girl

Earning My Ears
We're going on the Wish at the end of Sept and we just received our DisneyBand+ for the 5 of us. I checked my Disney Cruise Line app as well as online and it only shows my band as being activated. I manage my husband and kids' account and it doesn't list them having a DisneyBand. I'm also not able to link the band manually. I tried linking on the DisneyWorld app and it states that the MagicBands has been claimed. This is our first time with Disney bands and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. At the time of purchase I was able to designate each person's band.

I'm more concerned about not being able to use the band during embarkation. Do the bands need to be "activated" somehow prior to getting to the cruise ship?

I wouldn't worry about it. They will activate all of your bands as part of the check-in process at the port. You actually don't even use your band during embarkation ( and you still use the KTTW card to get on/off the ship in ports).

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. They will activate all of your bands as part of the check-in process at the port. You actually don't even use your band during embarkation (you still use the KTTW card to get on the ship).
Thank you! I called the MagicBand number and they were able to link each band. Even he was confused why it didn't register on the Disney app. One of the selling points of the DisneyBand+ was to be able to board effortlessly and I didn't want to spend an hour with guest services trying to figure it out! lol

I wouldn't worry about it. They will activate all of your bands as part of the check-in process at the port. You actually don't even use your band during embarkation (you still use the KTTW card to get on the ship).
Have you boarded a ship since DB+ started on DCL? I ask only because on the website it makes it sound like you can use it to get on the ship:

Boarding Made Easier​

Enjoy the benefits of DisneyBand+ from the moment you arrive! When you purchase your DisneyBand+ in advance, you can wear it during your port arrival experience (available at US ports only) and enjoy hands-free convenience as you make your way on to the ship.

Have you boarded a ship since DB+ started on DCL?
Yes we were on the 3rd Fantasy sailing to use MB+/DB+ last month. But I did just realize I said something confusing earlier! You still use your KTTW card for getting on and off in ports. Getting on the ship the first time you are just using your arrival paperwork (no bands, no cards). Of course as I mentioned it was the 3rd sailing so maybe the tech hadn't caught up yet?

Last edited:
Thank you! I called the MagicBand number and they were able to link each band. Even he was confused why it didn't register on the Disney app. One of the selling points of the DisneyBand+ was to be able to board effortlessly and I didn't want to spend an hour with guest services trying to figure it out! lol
I'm not sure why they make it sound like the band helps with boarding because you won't use it at all until you make a purchase or open your room. Ours were all visible as linked in my DCL account but even then they aren't really ready to be used immediately on the ship (this is even after we used them for 3 days prior at Disney). They still have to activate them during check-in. Maybe their intention is that you can use them to board in the future?

Last edited:
We used our bands to board the ship on embarkation day instead of using our card. You only need the card to get on and off in ports of call.

We used our bands to board the ship on embarkation day instead of using our card. You only need the card to get on and off in ports of call.
I did see a YouTube embarkation video where they just waved their DB+ and boarded the ship. Did you activate the band in the terminal at check-in?

I'm not sure why they make it sound like the band helps with boarding because you won't use it at all until you make a purchase or open your room. Ours were all visible as linked in my DCL account but even then they aren't really ready to be used immediately on the ship (this is even after we used them for 3 days prior at Disney). They still have to activate them during check-in. Maybe their intention is that you can use them to board in the future?
That's what they were advertising for this cruise specific Disney band. Maybe they're still working out the kinks!

So did you need your port arrival form (QR code) at all when checking in? How did they check you were there at the correct PAT? This will be my first Disney cruise so I don’t really know all the steps. From videos I watched it, looks like you line up by PAT and then you check-in with your passport and MagicBand+.

Yes you still need your QR code with pat and boarding group number to check in. They pair your magicband after they give you back all your documents. When you board the ship they just tap your magicband. It’s super simple and fast. You use it for the muster drill as well. It was nice not having to carry around a card.

So did you need your port arrival form (QR code) at all when checking in? How did they check you were there at the correct PAT? This will be my first Disney cruise so I don’t really know all the steps. From videos I watched it, looks like you line up by PAT and then you check-in with your passport and MagicBand+.
Yes, they will ask you your PAT and have you line up that way (this is outside). They have lines set up separate for each PAT. They'll then let you in the terminal accordingly (sometimes if the line is short inside the terminal and everyone from the 'current' PAT have gone in, they'll let you in a little early-but don't bank on that). Once inside the terminal they check passports, etc., then you go through security and then up to wait to board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter