• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World vs Disneyland question.

I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't do your research - sorry if it came across that way. I've just found those podcasts to be very helpful (and usually come with many pictures to see for yourself also). i know I have heard them talk about hotel rooms that fit more than 4 (though I can't speak to their price point).

As to the bolded - I don't doubt that that was true for you on your trip, but in our experience that isn't a universal truth. Our hotel costs are less at DLR (though, as you pointed out, we fit into a room for 4), we don't eat at as many TS places at DLR (because their CS has so many better offerings), and the ticket cost is significantly less at DLR.

What usually makes it more expensive for us, coming from the east coast, is flights. Even that, though, this year won't be a huge increase. We managed to find flights on Southwest that, roundtrip, are appx $850 total for the 3 of us to fly cross country. We're saving about $300 on the flight this year compared to what we spent on the same flights (same time period) last year. All in all, last year (and I expect this year), we didn't spend any more to go out to DLR than we would have to go to WDW.

I didn't take it that way. I know you were just trying to be helpful :)
The 4 person occupancy is what really got us, and it helps that there are several 5 and 6 person rooms (with the pull down beds or cabins) at WDW. I think I checked every one of the usual discount travel websites, DH called every hotel near DLR, and we couldn't find anything less than $250 a night (this was around spring break though). So over $100 more per night than WDW. And we had to get a car (with our own car seats) to get from/to the airport, and pay for parking. (We almost never get a car at WDW.) So that was easily $150-$175 more per night than WDW right there.

We've never eaten at an onsite sit down restaurant at DLR. Until recently, we always also ate quick service at WDW, and have just recently started doing more sit down meals. I really didn't notice any quality difference between DLR and WDW quick service (like I said in an earlier post, we don't usually go for the normal hamburgers or pizza). We did wait in a lot longer lines for QS than we usually do at WDW, though. Prices seemed similar.

I grew up in AK, and family still lives there, so flying anywhere in the US is exorbitant. We're happy if coach tickets are as low as $600 per person. When we live in TX, it's kind of a wash traveling to either CA or FL.

Don't worry, DLR is great, but it won't color your view of WDW. It's great in different ways, and that is a good thing. I find DLR to be a little less "grand" maybe. The castle is smaller (heck, everything's smaller), and you don't get the "bubble" effect quite as much. It does have a more classic feel though and a lot of rides that aren't at WDW. I like to spot the little differences between rides that area ta both parks too. DLR is definitely worth going to.

Now, if you don't want to spoiled for either WDW or DLR, stay away from Tokyo Disney. now, THAT will color your expectations!

I think we can all agree that Cars Land is one of the best themed lands Disney has ever built

Nuh uh. If I had never been to the Tokyo parks, I might have agreed with you. But Tokyo Disney Sea blows all the American parks out of the water. It's breathtaking. Asking which Disney park is your favorite is like asking which of your children you love best. For me, it's the one that requires a 20 hour plane ride to get to. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy my visits to the other ones, too.

Both parks have a lot of similarities, but to me, they 'feel' different. I love both, but Disneyland has a certain charm that WDW doesn't. That being said, WDW has Epcot, which is my favorite park. I don't like one more than the other, but I like and prefer different aspects of each.

Nuh uh. If I had never been to the Tokyo parks, I might have agreed with you. But Tokyo Disney Sea blows all the American parks out of the water. It's breathtaking. Asking which Disney park is your favorite is like asking which of your children you love best. For me, it's the one that requires a 20 hour plane ride to get to. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy my visits to the other ones, too.

I haven't been back to WDW or DLR since my time at Tokyo Disney...I'm a little afraid to! ;) You are 100% right about DisneySea. Greatest Theme Park in the World!

I did not grow up going to Disney parks. I went to DL one evening while at a convention in Anaheim, and DH and I went to Epcot one day as part of a convention he attended. All prior to DD.

When DD was very young, she loved Cars - so we took our first Disney trip to DLR... and it was lovely! We really enjoyed DCA - so much to do with a four year old who was skittish about dark rides. And just the atmosphere of DCA... there's just nothing like it at WDW.

But we have also now done two WDW trips (with another planned for later this year). I love that we don't need a car or to leave the property at all. I love AK - nothing similar in California.

So really, they are both great in their own ways! Being in MN, it is not particularly easy to get to either one, but the time change to Eastern is a little easier. But I am thinking that after our next WDW trip, we will head back west!

Sure it will change your perspective of WDW - but that's not a bad thing.

Any fan of Disney will love Disneyland which is "Walt's Park" and DCA is amazing. I'm so glad I made the trip. On the other hand it made me more appreciate some of the things WDW offers that you can't get at DLR.

Last edited:
I put this elsewhere on line a couple years ago.....maybe you'll find it helpful?

Space Mountain, Pirates, the refurbed Big Thunder, and Small World all better out west.
DL +1

Queues – DL had some just awful queues. Some of them are holdovers from the early days when Imagineering wasn’t concerned with queue entertainment. But the TSM queue, for example, is nowhere near how awesome it is at WDW. In fact, it’s just a snaking line and almost entirely outside.
WDW +1

Cast members – I had heard that they were out-of-this-world at DL. But what I found was the same mix I find at WDW: Some great, a lot good, and a few who shouldn’t be there. I even had one ticket-taker grumpily say, when I asked how he was doing, “I’ll be better in 30 minutes.”
Wash

The Castle – Oh, there was a castle at Disneyland? Huh. You sure? That pink thing?
WDW +1
BUT Sleeping Beauty Castle has a neat walkthrough attraction. Not enough for a wash, so I maintain WDW +1

Everything being all close together – I walked from Toontown (in the back of DL) to Luigi’s Flying Tires (in essentially the back of DCA) in 16 minutes. That includes standing in a bit of a line to get in to DCA. Compare that to going from Splash Mountain to, say, the American Pavilion at Epcot, which would be...much longer than 16 minutes.
DL +1

Escapism – I’m less than a mile from pulling in to the DL parking lot and I see…Tinkerbell? The Beast? No, a 7-11. It’s just not as escape-from-the-world as I’d like or as you get at WDW.
WDW +1

Carsland/Radiator Springs is one of the most immersive themed environments that accurately represents the source material that I’ve ever been in. You are plopped down into that movie. It’s just stunning. At night when all the neon is on it looks just like that evening scene in the movie
DL +1

Downtown Disney - Most malls near us are bigger than the one at DL.
WDW +1

TSM has much shorter standby lines at DL, but no Fastpass, so you don’t wait for 2.5 hours...but still have to wait 50 minutes to an hour.
Wash

World of Color, the DCA evening show - just amazing. Really amazing. AND there is also Fantasmic and fireworks out west. Even with Illuminations at Epcot, nod goes to DL.
DL +1

Wayfinding - This is probably just my familiarity with MK vs. unfamiliarity with DL, but I found the signage/wayfinding at DL to not be particularly good. And I felt like I was forever searching for restrooms when I needed them.
WDW +1

Earthquakeyness - WDW, essentially zero chance. We experienced a 5.1 while at DL. If you live through it and it's not destructive, in hindsight it's pretty neat to experience. And hurricanes aren't as awesome, what with that annoying wind and rain and predictability. So
DL +1

Exposure to that awful Autopia - At WDW you always smell/hear it. At DL...they have Autopia?
DL +1

Things seemed a little crowded and on top of each other at DL and some of the theming of the separate lands kind of ….bumps into each other. You even notice this from the hub.
WDW +1

One park STILL HAS Mr. Toad and Snow White. That park is…
DL +1

Tarzan Treehouse vs. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
Wash

Streetmosphere and shows
Wash

Toontown is awesome, awesome, awesome if you have a little one.
DL +1

Dual Dumbos with better waiting area.
WDW +1

Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters/Space Ranger Spin has better scenes out west AND the guns are freemoving, not anchored.
DL +1

RnR vs. California Screaming
Wash

Crowdedness - DL occupies 85 acres vs. MK's 107 and MK only outdraws it by a little bit on a per-day average. Thus, DL is going to feel more crowded. Consider that we usually go to WDW during slower times and our DL trip was around spring break and thus I'd estimate that DL was probably 30 percent more crowded than we've ever experienced MK being. Tomorrowland at DL is really charming, but at the height of the day you could barely get through it. So, just based on that, I give
WDW +1

Other odds-and-ends:
DCA is really gorgeous and we found each land to be very, very well done and unique and immersive. It really exceeded our expectations.

We rode the Matterhorn because it is a classic attraction. There is nothing special about the Matterhorn.

Blue Bayou theming > San Angel Inn theming, but it's very, very close. On food, it is not at all very, very close. (And you know which wins.)

Character lunch at Ariel’s Grotto was not something we’d do again. The princesses came around and we got a few minutes with each. It didn’t feel rushed, but they just didn’t hang out (I’m sure tables with 7yo girls get more time). The food was downright eh. Character breakfast at the Plaza Inn was great - it’s just breakfast food but there were lots of characters throughout and lots of character interactions. My son was happy showing off his two little Chip and Dale figures, and many of the characters interacted with them, including Rafiki doing his whole broken-fruit-voodoo-forehead-swipe anointment thing.

Overall, we really enjoyed our three days, of course, and could easily have spent another couple days there. There were still things we didn't get to, and that's with our open-to-close park touring style. I have to say that I expected to be blown away by DL vs. MK, and wasn’t, really. DCA exceeded expectations, as I noted. It may be because it’s where I’ve been most frequently, but I just really prefer WDW. Primarily and obviously because there is SO much there that DL/DCA just can’t replicate. Four parks, a huge downtown Disney, the World Showcase, and several hotels that are fun to just explore, even if you’re not staying in them. Plus, the whole sense of being removed from the world is just more palpable at WDW. I would never make a trip to Southern California just to visit Disneyland, but would certainly plan a few days there during a trip I'm already taking there.

Oh yes, not all kids love dark rides and I do love CA for having so many kid appropriate non dark rides. Bugs land it adorable and while tame.... The rides aren't necessarily kiddie rides. Good family rides. My kids loved them at 2.5 and 4 and just as much at 5 and 7.

I feel like all the Disney parks outside of the US have a one up

Now, if you don't want to spoiled for either WDW or DLR, stay away from Tokyo Disney. Now THAT will color your expectations!

Please elaborate! Is it better or worse than the American resorts?

Please elaborate! Is it better or worse than the American resorts?

Ohhh...much, MUCH better! Tokyo Disney is absolutely amazing, especially DisneySea. The service, upkeep, and cleanliness are taken to an even greater degree than the US parks (which I do think do a pretty good job, it's just even more over the top in Japan). DisneySea is amazingly designed, just beautiful to be in, plus they have some great rides not found elsewhere (Journey to the Center of the Earth is the BEST!). Ther Disneyland is similar but designed with wider walkways, and is just bigger and more open. It's like the best layout of any of the Kingdom style parks (though I did miss Main Street USA which is supplanted by the similar but not quite as charming World Bazaar).

If you've ever thought about going, do it. You will not regret it. It makes the US parks look like a Six Flags, and Six Flags look like a mall parking lot carnival. Maybe that's overstating it, but, have no doubts, it will blow you away!

Ohhh...much, MUCH better! Tokyo Disney is absolutely amazing, especially DisneySea. The service, upkeep, and cleanliness are taken to an even greater degree than the US parks (which I do think do a pretty good job, it's just even more over the top in Japan). DisneySea is amazingly designed, just beautiful to be in, plus they have some great rides not found elsewhere (Journey to the Center of the Earth is the BEST!). Ther Disneyland is similar but designed with wider walkways, and is just bigger and more open. It's like the best layout of any of the Kingdom style parks (though I did miss Main Street USA which is supplanted by the similar but not quite as charming World Bazaar).

If you've ever thought about going, do it. You will not regret it. It makes the US parks look like a Six Flags, and Six Flags look like a mall parking lot carnival. Maybe that's overstating it, but, have no doubts, it will blow you away!

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will keep this in mind. Would like to visit every Disney park at least once. Don't know if we will ever make all of them though.

We have visited Disneyland Paris. Was nice. The cast members weren't like the ones in the US. And the guests were even more rude. We didn't last a half day before we left and went back into the city.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will keep this in mind. Would like to visit every Disney park at least once. Don't know if we will ever make all of them though.

We have visited Disneyland Paris. Was nice. The cast members weren't like the ones in the US. And the guests were even more rude. We didn't last a half day before we left and went back into the city.

One word about the guests in Tokyo, you will never find a more well behaved, courteous, and helpful group of people anywhere. Even with the language barrier, they are friendly and willing to help you if you need it. It's cultural and ingrained. You will find zero rude guest behavior there, and the CMs are even better than that.

This even applies to teenagers and kids. Our hotel was hosting some school groups while there, and there were a lot of pre-teen/teen kids in the lobby. Sounds like a nightmare, right? Nope. These were the quietest, most well-behaved kids you ever saw. They were having fun, but not at the expense of others' peace and quiet. Even in a subway car full of kids you could hear a pin drop. It is simply the way it is there, and it is wonderful.

One word about the guests in Tokyo, you will never find a more well behaved, courteous, and helpful group of people anywhere. Even with the language barrier, they are friendly and willing to help you if you need it. It's cultural and ingrained. You will find zero rude guest behavior there, and the CMs are even better than that.

This even applies to teenagers and kids. Our hotel was hosting some school groups while there, and there were a lot of pre-teen/teen kids in the lobby. Sounds like a nightmare, right? Nope. These were the quietest, most well-behaved kids you ever saw. They were having fun, but not at the expense of others' peace and quiet. Even in a subway car full of kids you could hear a pin drop. It is simply the way it is there, and it is wonderful.

Very interesting and Thanks for your input! Be well!

I really want to take a trip to Disneyland someday. I just always go to Disney World. Mainly because it's closer and I love Florida.

My one fear of Disneyland is I'm worried about how it might change my view of Disney World.

For those of you that have made the jumps (either FL to CA or CA to FL) did it change how you felt about your "home" park?

Disneyland is my home park, lived there 37 years. First trip to WDW last year and was disappointed. I expected WDW to be grander, imagining the Magic Kingdom to be the crown jewel; and while a larger park its not better. Going back this year with obviously a different outlook. Disneyland to me is more organic and magical, less a theme park, more an experience, I have not been back to DL since we moved so it also may have changed. I have so many good memories from mine and my kids' childhood that I think that clouds my opinion. Will be going back to DL in 2018 and will be interested to see if its how I remember. However, the Matterhorn> SDMT, small world and pirates arent even comparable and will I am ok with no Mr Toads Wild Ride, I oddly missed the Alice in Wonderland ride.

Interesting cuz I disliked Space Mountain at WDW. So much I think is what you grew up with. We arent even doing Space Mtn this time around.

I didn't "grow up" with either Space Mountain since I didn't get to visit a Disney park until I was an adult. I've been to WDW and DL probably an equal number of times. And I definitely prefer Space at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter