Disney World Pin Trading since COVID

gryphon3261

Obscure Disney History Aficionado
My family is headed back to Disney World in a few months for the first time since before the pandemic; we used to have a great time doing lots of pin trading and I wondered what the status is on trading in the parks and resorts (We are staying on-site at the GF).
I've seen the odd post mentioning that the pin boards still exist but that cast members don't carry lanyards anymore and that trading in generally is rarer than it used to be. Is this still the case in Feb 2022, and does anyone have any suggestions for places where there might be opportunities to trade?
Any tips would be much appreciated :)

We used to have so much fun pin trading! Sadly, it’s not what it used to be. There are pin boards scattered throughout a few stores and outside areas. The outside areas are usually on some sort of schedule. It’s still fun, but not as spontaneous and plentiful. Also, it’s been a long time since they released any new hidden Disney/Mickey pins.

We used to have so much fun pin trading! Sadly, it’s not what it used to be. There are pin boards scattered throughout a few stores and outside areas. The outside areas are usually on some sort of schedule. It’s still fun, but not as spontaneous and plentiful. Also, it’s been a long time since they released any new hidden Disney/Mickey pins.
Sad news but not surprising unfortunately :( seems like the pins were another casualty of the pandemic/the general reduction in services at Disney...glad we aren't the only ones who miss it! Maybe the pins will make a comeback some day. In the meantime we'll enjoy whatever pins we can find :D
Thanks for the insight!

I’m not a pin trader but I did notice the boards around.

There was one in dinoland at AK at an outside hut (just a hut not at a shop) to the right of a merch shop.

There was one in HS also at a hut-like merch shop on that road leading to tower of terror on the left when you’re facing the tower.

saw a board at Coronado Springs gift shop. If you stay on site ask the gift shops if/when they’ll take boards out. It seems to they have ones.

Also saw at MK but can’t remember where.

I wonder if it comes up in a search on Disney app for times and locations.

Took 10 of us down in August. 6 had pins to trade. Kids had a great time doing it. They were determined to trade every time they had an opportunity. The cast members did not have them but the boards were all over the place. I believe the maps had the locations on it. Not nearly as big as it was but it still is doable,

Sounds like they’ve increased the number of boards since I went in April 21. They were scarce then. Awesome!

So about pins- we bought pins for the kids to trade. the ebay post said they were legit (i know, i know- you get what you pay for- but these were not that cheap). well shockingly they weren't authentic - i mean they cannot be. they do not look legit at all - colors are off, some are missing coloring in certain areas- you've seen them before- you know the drill. But now what? scrap 'em? Or trade anywho and let the CMs scrap 'em? This was a just meant to be a fun side attraction thing for the kids- we are not trading for valuable pins here. But the kiddos were kinda excited about it so...

So about pins- we bought pins for the kids to trade. the ebay post said they were legit (i know, i know- you get what you pay for- but these were not that cheap). well shockingly they weren't authentic - i mean they cannot be. they do not look legit at all - colors are off, some are missing coloring in certain areas- you've seen them before- you know the drill. But now what? scrap 'em? Or trade anywho and let the CMs scrap 'em? This was a just meant to be a fun side attraction thing for the kids- we are not trading for valuable pins here. But the kiddos were kinda excited about it so...

the CMs do not scrap them. They end up on the boards with so much trash. It’s so sad. The CMs can not tell a kid they can’t take their fakes.
It is my opinion that you toss them and get real ones from Disney. We started with a few for our daughter to trade, and she swapped them out multiple times as she found ones she liked better. Yes it is more expensive, but you aren’t filling boards with trash like so many other people. My daughter only trades for real pins on the boards (it is so easy to tell), and if she happens to end up with a scrapper.. she trades it away pretty fast. She is pretty good at spotting fakes now.

So how can I get inexpensive real ones? Only buy from Disney? Anywhere else?

Watch shopdisney for sales. I’ve gotten pins for less than $3 a few time, pre-pandemic anyways. There’s usually a limit of 10. The official outlet stores in Orlando have pins on occasion but a few months ago I read on here that the lines for the stores are insane. Dunno if that’s still the case. But if you are already going to the mall anyways to look in other stores that might not matter. Sometimes they’ll have specific pins half off or BOGO at the registers on property, not exactly cheap but if you have an AP or Disney Visa the discount helps. If all else fails, buy the (starter) sets; those are usually cheaper per pin than individual pins.

Most you get from somewhere else will be fakes. We always watch the sales to get deals. We got some recently for less then $2 a pin.
We got some from Disney- they were on sale about 7 pins for $9.99. I got two sets- one for each of the kiddos. Thank you all

We got some from Disney- they were on sale about 7 pins for $9.99. I got two sets- one for each of the kiddos. Thank you all
Wow, can you link that sale? 😳 Are you sure it wasn’t a blind set that comes with 2 or 3 of the 7?

Yep those blind ones get you. Usually the good deals are 4-6 packs non-blind packs on sale, using a 30% off bonus code.

Are there any good lanyard kits with a medal available in the parks? I'm keen to do a little pin trading and possibly purchase some new ones as well, but the Disney store has none that really interest me. Does anyone know if the selection is better in WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter