Disney World needs to reopen and STAY OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
Back when Disney World closed, the covid new daily cases was around 200 in Florida. A few months later when they announced reopening, the cases were around 1000. Now, Florida is making it to10,000 case per day.

You know what this means? It means all these months of closing was a complete waste of time, appealing to emotions and irrational fear rather than actually caring about reducing disease spread. It also means that covid spread cannot be stopped by closing the parks. Closing the parks just means that covid will spread somewhere else, and spread it will. The freeborn Americans are good for a few months of being locked up, but that’s it.

Disney World can require masks, and people will wear it for a few days of first opening, but within a week or two they will simply stop. Some years ago there was a national speed limit of 55. On some highways, everybody drove at 70, and the cops did nothing about it. It’s like an unwritten law of ignoring the official decree. Mask wearing will go that way too. The time will come when Disney requires masks while nobody wears them, and this time will come right away, being that WDW is reopening in July in Florida. I can’t breathe in the Florida heat even without a mask.

Disney needs to stop pretending that they care about covid spread. That’s the government’s job, let the government deal with it. In fact, nobody can stop a pandemic. I know some island nations have locked themselves up tight and kept their numbers low, and they are rather smug about it. Let’s see how long they stay locked up. In the mean time, Disney is a business. They exist to make money, or they die. Maintaining Disney World costs money, even if there’s nobody in there. Opening Disney World will speed up covid spread. There’s nothing Disney can do about it. They need to accept it and move on.

My DS21 works for a gun manufacturer. Back in March, he got laid off because his company shut the whole outfit down for fear of coronavirus, even gun sales had increased drastically and there was much money to be made. He said that quite a number of his supervisors were old, and they were scared of dying. I said at the time that that was ridiculous. If the old supervisors didn’t want to work, they needed to be fired and replaced with young supervisors. If the business don‘t make money, they are going to die. On the very next day, DS21 told me that he was back to work -- the company decided to stay open, there was too much money to be made. His company has stayed open through the entire Montana lockdown from March to June. (Turns out, gun making is an “essential business” because it is important for “national defense.” Even our liquor stores stayed open because… I don’t remember the logic there. Yeah, our lockdown wasn‘t much of a lockdown.)

Now that WDW is going to open in the face of spiking cases, they need to stick with it and not chicken out again like Disneyland is doing. It doesn’t matter how much covid spikes, it will eventually go away if Disney just holds on. If people don’t catch covid in Disney World, they’ll catch it somewhere else. Covid will continue to spread no matter what WDW does. Sooner or later, everybody will have caught it. If people die, they die, and Disney World will die right along with them if WDW stays closed much longer. If the cast members get covid, they will get over it, they are young. Even the young can’t get over starving to death, though.

And once Disney World reopens, they need to be determined to stay open no matter what covid does -- in fact, no matter what else happens, no matter how much Disney World spreads covid around the world. They need to learn from the musicians on the Titanic and play to the end, all the more because we are not on the Titanic. Most people will make it through, and as Epcot used to say, “we go on!”

On an unrelated note, Skyliner is opening when WDW reopens, even though most of the gondola hotels won‘t open till later. I am very happy to hear it. It probably means the Skyliner really does cost less to run than the buses, though at this point, I no longer care. My pre-covid obsessions seem less significant now. Now I just want to see Disney World stay alive.

Another unrelated note: the Mulan movie is being boycotted in some areas because the main actress criticized the Hong Kong protests. I used to live in Hong Kong, and I can tell you that the actress is right, though I don‘t know exactly what she said. Hong Kong shouldn’t be protesting because you don’t protest against a dictatorship, it’s a waste of time, like shutting down the parks during covid. A dictatorship cannot exist if they honor peaceful protests -- if they give in, it will encourage other protests elsewhere until the dictatorship crumbles. The only way to overcome a dictatorship is by force, and Hong Kong doesn’t even have a military. So Hong Kong needs to just suck it up, but Hong Kong has never been under communism, the British and the Americans taught them too much democracy, so…this will not end well. Because at the end of the day, neither Britain nor America nor anybody else can come to Hong Kong’s aid. China will make an example out of Hong Kong to show the world that nobody tells China what to do. In fact, if America does something to embarrass China, China might do stuff like shut down American businesses in China to teach America a lesson. I am talking about Shanghai Disneyland.

I learned at a young age to not protest against dictators. One of my earliest memories was around when I was 5 years old, in 1975. My family went to Beijing to visit relatives. One night, I went to bed, and before I fell asleep, I heard my mother talking with a neighbor in whispering voices. I naturally perked up and listened carefully while pretending to be asleep. The neighbor said that some time ago, there was a protest in Tiananmen Square, though it was not in the news. Hundreds of students were protesting against the government and spending the night at the Square. The neighbor’s house was right along the Square, and one night in the dark, she saw the lights around the Square suddenly turned off. The army came in bearing clubs, and they clubbed all the students to death. It took 3 days to wash the Square clean of blood.

To this day, I have not so much as asked my mother about what I heard that night. I’ve never told anybody, except that recently, I did tell my kids about it to make the point that they must never go back to China, like the way the Bible tells the Israelites to never go back to Egypt. My kids immediately looked up Wikipedia and found that there was indeed a record of such a protest at the time, though it says “there were no injuries.” Um, whatever. My point is, you don’t protest against dictators.

In the face of all these problems, it is very important that Disney keeps Disney World alive. Of all Disney’s accomplishments, Disney World is the most amazing private accomplishment in the world, and must be preserved at all costs.

Back when Disney World closed, the covid new daily cases was around 200 in Florida. A few months later when they announced reopening, the cases were around 1000. Now, Florida is making it to10,000 case per day.

You know what this means? It means all these months of closing was a complete waste of time, appealing to emotions and irrational fear rather than actually caring about reducing disease spread. It also means that covid spread cannot be stopped by closing the parks. Closing the parks just means that covid will spread somewhere else, and spread it will. The freeborn Americans are good for a few months of being locked up, but that’s it.

Disney World can require masks, and people will wear it for a few days of first opening, but within a week or two they will simply stop. Some years ago there was a national speed limit of 55. On some highways, everybody drove at 70, and the cops did nothing about it. It’s like an unwritten law of ignoring the official decree. Mask wearing will go that way too. The time will come when Disney requires masks while nobody wears them, and this time will come right away, being that WDW is reopening in July in Florida. I can’t breathe in the Florida heat even without a mask.

Disney needs to stop pretending that they care about covid spread. That’s the government’s job, let the government deal with it. In fact, nobody can stop a pandemic. I know some island nations have locked themselves up tight and kept their numbers low, and they are rather smug about it. Let’s see how long they stay locked up. In the mean time, Disney is a business. They exist to make money, or they die. Maintaining Disney World costs money, even if there’s nobody in there. Opening Disney World will speed up covid spread. There’s nothing Disney can do about it. They need to accept it and move on.

My DS21 works for a gun manufacturer. Back in March, he got laid off because his company shut the whole outfit down for fear of coronavirus, even gun sales had increased drastically and there was much money to be made. He said that quite a number of his supervisors were old, and they were scared of dying. I said at the time that that was ridiculous. If the old supervisors didn’t want to work, they needed to be fired and replaced with young supervisors. If the business don‘t make money, they are going to die. On the very next day, DS21 told me that he was back to work -- the company decided to stay open, there was too much money to be made. His company has stayed open through the entire Montana lockdown from March to June. (Turns out, gun making is an “essential business” because it is important for “national defense.” Even our liquor stores stayed open because… I don’t remember the logic there. Yeah, our lockdown wasn‘t much of a lockdown.)

Now that WDW is going to open in the face of spiking cases, they need to stick with it and not chicken out again like Disneyland is doing. It doesn’t matter how much covid spikes, it will eventually go away if Disney just holds on. If people don’t catch covid in Disney World, they’ll catch it somewhere else. Covid will continue to spread no matter what WDW does. Sooner or later, everybody will have caught it. If people die, they die, and Disney World will die right along with them if WDW stays closed much longer. If the cast members get covid, they will get over it, they are young. Even the young can’t get over starving to death, though.

And once Disney World reopens, they need to be determined to stay open no matter what covid does -- in fact, no matter what else happens, no matter how much Disney World spreads covid around the world. They need to learn from the musicians on the Titanic and play to the end, all the more because we are not on the Titanic. Most people will make it through, and as Epcot used to say, “we go on!”

On an unrelated note, Skyliner is opening when WDW reopens, even though most of the gondola hotels won‘t open till later. I am very happy to hear it. It probably means the Skyliner really does cost less to run than the buses, though at this point, I no longer care. My pre-covid obsessions seem less significant now. Now I just want to see Disney World stay alive.

Another unrelated note: the Mulan movie is being boycotted in some areas because the main actress criticized the Hong Kong protests. I used to live in Hong Kong, and I can tell you that the actress is right, though I don‘t know exactly what she said. Hong Kong shouldn’t be protesting because you don’t protest against a dictatorship, it’s a waste of time, like shutting down the parks during covid. A dictatorship cannot exist if they honor peaceful protests -- if they give in, it will encourage other protests elsewhere until the dictatorship crumbles. The only way to overcome a dictatorship is by force, and Hong Kong doesn’t even have a military. So Hong Kong needs to just suck it up, but Hong Kong has never been under communism, the British and the Americans taught them too much democracy, so…this will not end well. Because at the end of the day, neither Britain nor America nor anybody else can come to Hong Kong’s aid. China will make an example out of Hong Kong to show the world that nobody tells China what to do. In fact, if America does something to embarrass China, China might do stuff like shut down American businesses in China to teach America a lesson. I am talking about Shanghai Disneyland.

I learned at a young age to not protest against dictators. One of my earliest memories was around when I was 5 years old, in 1975. My family went to Beijing to visit relatives. One night, I went to bed, and before I fell asleep, I heard my mother talking with a neighbor in whispering voices. I naturally perked up and listened carefully while pretending to be asleep. The neighbor said that some time ago, there was a protest in Tiananmen Square, though it was not in the news. Hundreds of students were protesting against the government and spending the night at the Square. The neighbor’s house was right along the Square, and one night in the dark, she saw the lights around the Square suddenly turned off. The army came in bearing clubs, and they clubbed all the students to death. It took 3 days to wash the Square clean of blood.

To this day, I have not so much as asked my mother about what I heard that night. I’ve never told anybody, except that recently, I did tell my kids about it to make the point that they must never go back to China, like the way the Bible tells the Israelites to never go back to Egypt. My kids immediately looked up Wikipedia and found that there was indeed a record of such a protest at the time, though it says “there were no injuries.” Um, whatever. My point is, you don’t protest against dictators.

In the face of all these problems, it is very important that Disney keeps Disney World alive. Of all Disney’s accomplishments, Disney World is the most amazing private accomplishment in the world, and must be preserved at all costs.
I can't believe I wasted my time reading that drivel.

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that drivel.

I stopped after the first paragraph. I could see where it was going, and that it was completely wrongheaded. Florida NEVER really shut down, and then opened up to "normal" far too quickly. They are reaping their reward for that behavior. Further opening it up is going to lead to more "rewards." It's idiotic, but fortunately, I have zero plans to visit Florida (or any other hot spot state) anytime soon. Just please don't be on here a month for now, OP, asking for prayers for you (or someone you love) fighting Covid.

I find it curious that people feel the need to comment on this post to share what a waste of time it was to read this post... that's why you "wasted" another minute to post in reply to it?!?

I chose to read it because I am interested in understanding other people's options and points of view, even when I do not have to agree with it.

A question though to BabybetterDisney. You wrote, "Disney World can require masks, and people will wear it for a few days of first opening, but within a week or two they will simply stop."
How does that line up with Universal being open for a month now, with people still wearing masks?

Wikipedia!?!? I’m with the majority here, waste of time to read it.

For the too long didn’t read set: this guy has all the answers. Disney closes for no reason. Masks won’t be worn after a few days. And Wikipedia is accurate.

Wikipedia!?!? I’m with the majority here, waste of time to read it.

For the too long didn’t read set: this guy has all the answers. Disney closes for no reason. Masks won’t be worn after a few days. And Wikipedia is accurate.

??????

Unfortunately, the best case scenario for the shutdown was for everyone to feel like it was a wasted effort. That meant it worked. And it did work in the many states that were hit early and have been slow to re-open. It worked in many countries - not just islands - but as everyone re-opens, we are seeing increased cases. The cause-and-effect is pretty clear cut. Huge number of cases + shutdowns = flattening the curve. Unfortunately, areas with less cases didn't see the curve flatten because there wasn't much of one to begin with. But holy cow, the curve is HUGE now in some places. Actually, governments can slow and possibly stop pandemics. If they choose.

The BEST thing that Disney and Universal have going is that they are requiring masks and will likely stand behind those requirements. That's not happening in the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter