Disney World Mugs Peeling

dhardawa

DIS Veteran
We we’re in DW in September. As usual, I bought two coffee mugs. The design on both mugs is peeling off. It’s like they used stickers on them. Anyone else have this happen? I’m not happy. These were $20 each. Even Dollar Tree mugs don’t peel.

Attachments

• 7FF887C6-9DC2-4D1B-9E97-F6210F44FB81.jpeg
    7FF887C6-9DC2-4D1B-9E97-F6210F44FB81.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 95
For comparison, this is what it originally looked like. The eyeball at the top fell off the first time I used it.

I did realize both mugs are either glow in the dark (ToT) or color changing (Pandora). Maybe that has something to do with it. Still not okay.

Attachments

• FE575AD9-8ADA-4BD3-AF8D-E6D64F9C5C9F.jpeg
    FE575AD9-8ADA-4BD3-AF8D-E6D64F9C5C9F.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 68

Sorry about your mug. I wouldn't buy anything else from Disney. Their merchandise is cheap stuff. Last year I bought my DH a Mickey t-shirt from the Disney store and a Universal t-shirt at Universal Orlando. They were about the same price. My DH had to stop wearing the Mickey shirt because it is so thin I was afraid he was going to wear through it before our trip in a few weeks. That was about 2 months ago. His Universal shirt he has been continuing to wear without issue. It is still pretty thick. Also I never put the Mickey shirt in the dryer but I do put the Universal shirt in the dryer. Lesson learned.

I like the idea of trying guest services to see if you can get another one or a refund.

Agree on the Disney quality, pure junk. I bought a Hakuna Mata shirt and wore it twice before the neck was stretched out

Sad. And yet I have a Polynesian Resort sweatshirt that is approaching 30 years old and still in great shape. I remember really thinking hard about dropping $50 on a sweatshirt back in 1991, but I thought it was beautiful and fairly unusual so I went ahead. At least I can say I have gotten value for my splurge. I don't see myself parting with $50 for any of the Disney clothing today, despite that being much more in line with normal pricing these days. Of course I wouldn't find a beautifully embroidered, resort specific item of such quality at any price today.

It’s not been in the dishwasher or microwave. Maybe my wash water is just too hot!
It's possible. I have a Gettysburg mug that I accidentally rubbed to get it dry when it was pretty warm out of the dishwasher (and mine was top rack dishwasher safe) and I was so upset to see the ink had been rubbing off. It's now very faded.

In any case it could be a combination of poorer quality and water temperature IDK. I was also going to suggest contacting guest services to at least explain the issue; can't hurt really.

contact guest services, they will send you a refund via a disney gift card. I was in WDW in April for Flower and Garden, bought a Minnie F&G mason jar flower vase, the picture on the mason jar just washed off if you run water over it, it looked like one of those cheap kiddie tattoos. I emailed guest services with the pictures (didn't have receipt but was staying on site) and they sent me a giftcard.

I collect Disney mugs,and I've had a few lessons over the years about what to avoid.... (I'm looking at you muppets mug) some are just cheap sticker like stuff slapped on a cheapo mug. Some are that super delicate shiny painted stuff that chip and crack with almost no use(I'm look at you splash mtn mug) I always hand wash my mugs, since I lost a few to dishwasher fading. And yes, the old ones I find while thrifting(prizes) are much better quality. That said I LOVE my new "UP" mug I just got from the shop disney...funny I also collect all the old McDonalds Disney glasses (thrifting) and those are fine in the dishwasher...I love those glasses.

I don't buy any kitchenware that has a raised design like that. They all peel off eventually. I only buy the mugs that are completely smooth. There were some really nice glass tumblers with attraction posters on them that I loved, but they were decals, and had to be hand washed, so I didn't buy them.

My husband had an AKL mug that he used at work for years, always hand washing it. The first time he brought it home and put it in the dishwasher the design shredded and flaked off. I contacted guest services asking if they could tell me if they still sold it so I could try to track it down and replace it for him and they responded that they couldn’t refund me for a years old mug. Um, no kidding, but that’s not what I’m asking! :sad2: So they were less than helpful. I bought the replacement from eBay and now it’s used for decorative purposes only. Lesson learned, we don’t buy those decal style mugs anymore.

I also collect all the old McDonalds Disney glasses (thrifting) and those are fine in the dishwasher..
We had a set of giveaway Disney glasses from the 80s, I thought they were from Burger King but they could have been from McDonalds. Over the years they all got broken but not from washing or microwaving, they'd just get dropped on the floor and break.. There is one glass remaining and it looks every bit as good as new. The stuff they used to giveaway is more durable than the merch they make now and charge a premium for.:scratchin

I collect shot glasses and have several Disney ones in my collection. They seem to be the ones I need to be most careful with because they peel very, very easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter