Disney World in February Questions

I am only speaking for myself and my own experiences but I have spent a week there in February 2009 and 2 weeks last December and I didn't wear any sunscreen at all and I am super fair and as white as can be and will normally burn in the summer, BUT I did not get any sunburn at all in all my time in Disney in Feb. and Dec. and I didn't wear any sunscreen.

I understand people always say to wear it because you're in Florida, but I decided to at least try not wearing it on my first day in Feb. based on my instinct and perception of how the weather felt to me, and see what happens since there wasn't much sun at all, and I was fine. So for me, it's one of those things where people are being over-protective but it isn't rooted in reality. Feel free to disagree if you're tried not wearing it in Dec-Feb and gotten burned but as a test case of a super fair person who has spent a total of 3 weeks during that time in various fluctuation of weather, I feel pretty confident in saying you are safe without any sunscreen.

I mean, there are people who tell you you "need" to wear sunscreen all year long no matter where you are, England or Alaska, but I am sorry I feel that is ridiculous. Like, today in Orlando, the UV index is only around 4 at the hottest point of the day. If you check out the UV Index online, you will see that 4 is no big deal, really, and you don't need sunblock for it. It's considered "moderate" risk. Most of the day is actually not even in the moderate range but in the 'Low' range.

I have gone to Disney in June and August and seen how bad the sun can be if you don't wear sunscreen on a single part of your body. You will get burned, especially if you are super fair like me. One of the major reasons I now go in the winter months is so I don't have to worry about the sun and the heat ans sunburn. Most sunblocks affect my allergies so I hate wearing them unless I have no choice. I'll take the cooler temps in Dec-Feb, by far.

Haha, I'll bring some sunscreen just in case! :rolleyes1

I brought the sunscreen both times as well. After the first day in both Dec. and Feb., I was thrilled to see I didn't need it, though. Use your best judgement, of course.

Be sure to get up and to the parks early as they close earlier in the winter. My tip is to pack hot cocoa mixes and tea bags to add to hot water at your resort after a day at the parks. Sipping a warm drink and watching a Disney movie is a great way to wind down. I would suggest skipping rides like Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain. Walking around after dark in damp clothes is no fun.

Be sure to get up and to the parks early as they close earlier in the winter. My tip is to pack hot cocoa mixes and tea bags to add to hot water at your resort after a day at the parks. Sipping a warm drink and watching a Disney movie is a great way to wind down. I would suggest skipping rides like Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain. Walking around after dark in damp clothes is no fun.

I'm definitely getting to the parks early, but I made FastPass+ Rezzies for Splash Mountain already, whoops! I'll just pack extra clothes haha. Thanks for the tip about hot cocoa! :coffee:

We are also headed there for the first week of Feb. It is our first trip in many years without the kids. I am actually looking forward to the earlier close times. We tended in the past to be warriors, we wouldn't make park opening(close, but not quite rope drop), but we would be the last ones out of the parks. Getting back to the room and relaxing a bit every day after the parks sounds very nice.

We were there last year for the end of Feb, first of March. Headed back this Feb after valentines day again. The weather can be varied as all others have posted. One thing i use when I travel and question the weather is WeatherUnderground, on their website you can search the history of a location, be it last year or for years if you like. And regardless of the weather, have a great trip.

We were there last year for the end of Feb, first of March. Headed back this Feb after valentines day again. The weather can be varied as all others have posted. One thing i use when I travel and question the weather is WeatherUnderground, on their website you can search the history of a location, be it last year or for years if you like. And regardless of the weather, have a great trip.

Thank you very much! Have a great trip as well! :woohoo:

1.) How should I dress? As a resident of Southeastern Massachusetts, winter clothing is right up my alley. However, I've never been to Florida in the winter, and I'm wondering how cold it gets during the day and night, and how I should dress.
Lived in Plymouth MA :wave: for 65 years before moving to FL in early 2014. Prior to that we made many, many trips to WDW in January/February. We experienced wide differences in FL weather over the years so there's really no good advice to give you this far out. You can check the averages on www.weather.com but again, your actual experience can't be forecasted right now. The best recommendation is to pack layers. Some combination of shorts & t-shirts (some days) or long pants, polo, sweatshirt/sweater and windbreaker will likely be appropriate.

Hello! It's official, I've booked a WDW Vacation from Feb.12-20, with a side trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on Feb. 17. This is only my 3rd trip, the past two times I've been are Sept. 2004 and April 2009. Because those are very warm months in Orlando, I have a few questions/concerns about going in the winter.

1.) How should I dress? As a resident of Southeastern Massachusetts, winter clothing is right up my alley. However, I've never been to Florida in the winter, and I'm wondering how cold it gets during the day and night, and how I should dress.

Along the lines of #1, 2.) Is sunscreen still necessary?

3.) Are the hotel pools and resort water parks still open?
I will be staying at the Beach Club if that helps answer this question.

Thank you! If anyone has any other tips that I should know about, please let me know! :tink:

We went the third week of February last year. The first few days were in the high 60s and partly sunny. It was warm enough for us to be in a shirt and pants without a coat most of the day. Then the next 2 days were like 45 degrees in the morning and 50 degrees tops and pouring down rain. Very chilly and drizzling the whole day. Most of my pics those days I have on a north face coat. And we ended up not going to any parks the next day of rain. The trip finished up the last day at about 72 and sun. It was the most beautiful day ever! Early mornings were chilly but it warmed up fairly quick.

There were actually people swimming in the resort pool the first few days. I'm not sure how they were doing it.

Basically you'll need to bring all kinds of clothing. Jackets/coats, along with short sleeves. I probably won't be brining shorts this time, we are going again Feb 28. But if it ends up being "warmer" I'll be in jeans and a tshirt. It could be anywhere from 30 degrees to 80 degrees.

Last edited:
Lived in Plymouth MA :wave: for 65 years before moving to FL in early 2014. Prior to that we made many, many trips to WDW in January/February. We experienced wide differences in FL weather over the years so there's really no good advice to give you this far out. You can check the averages on www.weather.com but again, your actual experience can't be forecasted right now. The best recommendation is to pack layers. Some combination of shorts & t-shirts (some days) or long pants, polo, sweatshirt/sweater and windbreaker will likely be appropriate.

Hello fellow New Englander! :cool1: Thank you very much!

We went the third week of February last year. The first few days were in the high 60s and partly sunny. It was warm enough for us to be in a shirt and pants without a coat most of the day. Then the next 2 days were like 45 degrees in the morning and 50 degrees tops and pouring down rain. Very chilly and drizzling the whole day. Most of my pics those days I have on a north face coat. And we ended up not going to any parks the next day of rain. The trip finished up the last day at about 72 and sun. It was the most beautiful day ever! Early mornings were chilly but it warmed up fairly quick.

There were actually people swimming in the resort pool the first few days. I'm not sure how they were doing it.

Basically you'll need to bring all kinds of clothing. Jackets/coats, along with short sleeves. I probably won't be brining shorts this time, we are going again Feb 28. But if it ends up being "warmer" I'll be in jeans and a tshirt. It could be anywhere from 30 degrees to 80 degrees.

Glad to hear you had a fairly warm trip! Thanks for the advice and have a great WDW trip February 28! :mickeyjum

I went down in February last year and wore shorts the entire time I was there, although the weather did drop a bit at night and I may have regretted it at times. Can't vouch for any pools or anything as I was visiting my dad and staying with him.

As for sunscreen, that will depend on the sun. I personally, didn't wear any, but you never know.

I went down in February last year and wore shorts the entire time I was there, although the weather did drop a bit at night and I may have regretted it at times. Can't vouch for any pools or anything as I was visiting my dad and staying with him.

As for sunscreen, that will depend on the sun. I personally, didn't wear any, but you never know.

Thank you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter