Disney World Hot Takes

I think they took the heart out of HS when, one way and another, they removed the movie-making aspects (big and small).
So true! I did used to love going in to see the artists create, all the notes and such:love:. I remember when the whole place started to cover itself with paper to prevent images from getting out. That was then this is now & at this point bootlegging and hacking is so prevalent and the idea of secrets so silly they might as well just bring it all back and let park goers enjoy watching things be created. I think the last thing I saw there was Nightmare Before Christmas being drawn there. It was so much more accessible to the fan base.

I very much dislike the DDP. Not for me as a purchaser of it, never have, never will. But what it did to the severe dumbing down of the dining experiences at WDW. Less.and less incentive for Disney to provide uniqueness and quality in its dining division. It feeds on itself to lower the dining at WDW.

I very much dislike the DDP. Not for me as a purchaser of it, never have, never will. But what it did to the severe dumbing down of the dining experiences at WDW. Less.and less incentive for Disney to provide uniqueness and quality in its dining division. It feeds on itself to lower the dining at WDW.
The food did take a deep dive when this happened, I won't touch anything on a dining plan. It isn't even about the money, I'd happily pay for better options but there aren't any. On our last trip finding low sodium and fresh was such a chore that we'd leave the property, go find fresh breakfast and ask them to pack salads or sandwiches to go and leave food in the car on ice then have lunch when we hopped parks mid day. Some restaurants tried to help but the parks were by and large a nutrition wasteland.

My hot take is the food at Disney isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I've had far fewer bad meals there then I've had trying restaurants at home. Overpriced definitely but not bad.

I also really like Genie + though I understand the feeling that you are now paying for something that was free.

Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park and it isn't even close.

Last edited:
My hot take is the food at Disney isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I've had far fewer bad meals there then I've had trying restaurants at home.
Overpriced definitely but not bad.

I also really like Genie + though I understand the feeling that you are now paying for something that was free.

Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park and it isn't even close.

I agree on the food. For the most part it's pretty good. Some things aren't that great, but not too bad really. The in-park burgers are a bit dry and those sad little pizzas ar eprtty rough, but there is plenty to find that actually is good.

Don't miss the Ratatouille ride!
I think Ratatouille is overrated. I don't remember it being that big of a hit either. I would have rather had a Beauty & the Beast or Aristocats attraction.

Hollywood Studios is the worst park at WDW. That really hurts to say because it was my favorite as a kid but unfortunately it's how I feel about it these days.
Hard agree. It's a half day park for me.

I agree on the food. For the most part it's pretty good. Some things aren't that great, but not too bad really. The in-park burgers are a bit dry and those sad little pizzas ar eprtty rough, but there is plenty to find that actually is good.
I think part of the issue is its nothing like it was, the food is not usually bad, but it is very average.
For the most part its the same thing I can get at a chain restaurant.

There was a time - and I'm mostly talking about Epcot - where the chefs had daily specials and had meals based on what they could get for ingredients.
The prices were also very reasonable.

Once the DDP came along many items were removed from the menus - one of the reason - people just ordered the most expensive thing and then would send it back because they did not know exactly what they were ordering.
So many of those things disappeared from the menu and ultimately they removed the appetizers from the DDP
Much of the food started to be ordered from a central kitchen - so for example everyone had Lamb shanks with a slightly different sauce.

One of the issues - and I had long talks with someone from both Mexico and Italy over a drink or two - they had to work within the money they got from the DDP. That gave them very little room to do much of anything - and any waste was a problem - they still need to run a profit. the amount they got was shockingly low.

They have also done other things over the years - for example the sawdust buns for hotdogs and burgers when they went on that health kick - they were so bad people brought their own buns.

German in Epcot used to make their own pretzels in the pavilion and they were amazing - buttery and hot. Then they went to pretty much the same pretzel you got everywhere else. They have a pretzel now that looks better, but still nothing like it was. I'm not even sure they are using lye or even baking soda - the unique pretzel taste is just is not there - they are very bland.

The food and Wine Festival used to be amazing - something I went to and looked forward to every year - and now its just overpriced and average at best.

When I was there recently I tried Space 220 lounge - I ordered the pork belly. All I can say is it was more like a very overcooked piece of Salmon than pork belly. To ruin a piece of meat like that is a crime.

I've been very lucky and eaten at some amazing restaurants all over the world, but still shockingly - one of the best if not the best meals I ever had was in Epcot. Even much more shockingly - it was at the Coral Reef.
Yeah - I know - I loose all credibility with that statement.

Anyway - they had a daily special that was a whole fire roasted piranha. It was a simple dish, but I've never had fish anywhere that was as good as that. I can still remember how good it was.

I was blown away and it not something I have ever seen on a menu anywhere since.

I don't expect much in most of the places, but Epcot I expect a lot more.

I too like Genie+. Once we got the hang of it we found it easy to use.

My Hot Take: Rise of the Resistance is not as much fun as I thought it would be. I find it overrated.
Exactly my feelings on ROTR. I’m not a Star Wars fan and actually have never seen any of the movies but with all the hype for this ride I gave it a shot and wasn’t impressed.

I also like Genie+ and find it beneficial and easy to use.

Guardians of the Galaxy is my new favorite ride, edging out Everest and FoP.

Ale & Compass is one the the best restaurants on property. Always able to get an ADR there as I don’t think it’s well known.

I think they took the heart out of HS when, one way and another, they removed the movie-making aspects (big and small).

Getting rid of GMR killed the park for me. Yes, the ride was dated but it didn't deserve to go. I would've loved a refurb over what we got instead.

I was afraid I'd feel that way on my recent trip, but was pleasantly surprised. It was our first time with the new Star Wars land, and we found it really immersive! Rise went off without a hitch for us, and we found the "two and half D" tech of Mickey & Minnie's fun and cool.

DHS has grown over the years from our "OK to skip" park when DS was little to one we really look forward to now that we're all adults.

The amount of emphasis people put on the “Disney Bubble” is ridiculous. We just stayed on-site for the first time. We can rent a 3 bedroom condo with all Disney theming (much more than our Disney Hotel room) with free washer and dryer, two bathrooms, and a full kitchen for over $1000 less than we paid last week (using next year-same week). We would travel the same roads that our Disney bus traveled with the exception of about 5-7 minutes. So even paying for a rental car and parking we would come out ahead. We would even be able to get to Animal Kingdom faster than the bus. The only advantage the bus has is at Magic Kingdom. We hated having to wait for the bus, wait for the scooters to load, and then most likely have to stand for up to 20 minutes with aching feet and legs. After you get to your resort you still have to walk quite a ways to your room. The early entry was nice, but not worth the extra money spent.

I guess I am a an outlier. I love ROTR, especially for the cast interaction. I like the rest of the ride too, although parts of it don’t work any longer which is kinda a bummer.

I do like ROTR a lot, however I can agree that it is a bit overrated. That's not to say it's not good - it certainly is - but I think it got a bit too hyped up.

I miss all the talent that used to make HS special. Back when the park was young, they had talent that entertained you while you sat and waited for a show. At Indy, there was Rosie and she supposedly “cleaned” the seats. She was hilarious as she interacted with the families that came in early to wait for the next show. She also worked at the Fantasmic theater and did her best to embarrass guests and get us all laughing while we waited. At the Beast theater, there was a sound check routine that was my FAVORITE part of that entire show. We would come early to make sure we saw them. I was heart broken when Disney dropped them. They were an awesome group of musicians and really entertained the waiting crowd.
I also miss the Canadian musicians, Off Kilter. They were fantastic and we always loved to listen to them on every trip.
Disney was horrible to a ton of actors and musicians when they stripped the budget years ago and the parks are less because of it.

Edited to fix typos.

Last edited:
nd we found the "two and half D" tech of Mickey & Minnie's fun and cool.
That's another hot take that I have. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is lackluster. It's not a bad ride (a bad ride for example is something like Figment or Speedway) but it's very mediocre.

The queue in the Disneyland version looks very fun and creative but other than that, one and done.

I enjoyed Coral Reef the last time I was in Epcot. We joined the walkup list and were seated within 10 minutes. It was air conditioned and quiet. Two at our table had the salmon and said it was tasty. I loved the shrimp and grits! They also brought my niece a dessert called a "brookie" - a brownie/cookie combo topped with ice cream. She was delighted. I'd definitely go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter