• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World eliminates outside vendor drop off services

I suppose but I think this gives them more control. More knowing how many are coming in on given days and such. They don’t have to worry about several different deliveries each day from different companies.
It sounds like now they are going to have vendors coming and going all day as opposed to one or two visits a day.

I think a lot of people are upset about this change, because it is a change. But over the years, I have noticed that Disney always changes things to break people of their "habits" or maybe behaviors that seem to be spreading. I think about the changes to the Disney stroller rentals, mostly due to people renting tons of strollers just to carry their stuff. Fastpasses constantly seem to change because people figure out the best way to work the system. I see this as being the same thing. Lots of people using grocery, stroller, ecv rentals and taxing the resorts manpower and probably generating lots of complaints from guests (bell services was slow, lost something, damaged something, etc etc).

If they are not preventing the delivery of these items and are only requiring guests to be there, I don't see a complaint. Yes, you might waste some of your vacation time waiting for your deliveries, but I am not sure how that is a Disney issue. If you need a mobility device, you can get assistance to your room from the resort until it arrives. The companies delivering items will have to figure out how to best serve their customers, but again, that is a service issue for the company.

As for a money grab, I am not sure how people figure this. I mean, if preferred companies were paying Disney for the service and are not going to now, Disney will actually lose money. Or if Disney charged X number of dollars for bell services to receive deliveries, then I could see calling it a money grab. At most, you can make a case that this a degradation of service from Disney, but in the end it is not their responsibility. I have been at many other non Disney hotels and resorts that wouldn't accept certain deliveries, especially if I have not even checked in yet.

So it had nothing to do with space or with freeing up bell staff. Just a money grab.

It's a bit...odder than that.

ScooterBug was the least used company in terms of ECV and stroller rentals at the hotels during my time. At the hotel(s) I'd work at, we'd see maybe 8-10 ECVs from them a week and next to no stroller rentals (As in, under 5 strollers) in that same period. Buena Vista Scooters was by far the most common ECV company we worked with (35-40+ a week), and Kingdom Strollers were by far the most used stroller rental company (20+). Cutting those two companies from the official partners list definitely reduces clutter in luggage holding areas.

The decision to partner exclusively with Scooterbug is definitely related to the policy change. But I'm not sure whether Scooterbug wanting more control/exclusivity at the resorts led to the policy change, or if the policy change led to Disney opting to work with only one company in hotel delivery and storage.

I think a lot of people are upset about this change, because it is a change. But over the years, I have noticed that Disney always changes things to break people of their "habits" or maybe behaviors that seem to be spreading. I think about the changes to the Disney stroller rentals, mostly due to people renting tons of strollers just to carry their stuff. Fastpasses constantly seem to change because people figure out the best way to work the system. I see this as being the same thing. Lots of people using grocery, stroller, ecv rentals and taxing the resorts manpower and probably generating lots of complaints from guests (bell services was slow, lost something, damaged something, etc etc).

If they are not preventing the delivery of these items and are only requiring guests to be there, I don't see a complaint. Yes, you might waste some of your vacation time waiting for your deliveries, but I am not sure how that is a Disney issue. If you need a mobility device, you can get assistance to your room from the resort until it arrives. The companies delivering items will have to figure out how to best serve their customers, but again, that is a service issue for the company.

As for a money grab, I am not sure how people figure this. I mean, if preferred companies were paying Disney for the service and are not going to now, Disney will actually lose money. Or if Disney charged X number of dollars for bell services to receive deliveries, then I could see calling it a money grab. At most, you can make a case that this a degradation of service from Disney, but in the end it is not their responsibility. I have been at many other non Disney hotels and resorts that wouldn't accept certain deliveries, especially if I have not even checked in yet.

I don’t think Disney is wrong to be making this decision as much as I don’t like it, but I disagree that an unhappy guest isn’t a Disney issue.

The best comparison I can think of, though admittedly not a fantastic one, would be kind of like Disney disallowing Uber or Lyft from coming into their resort lots, instead requiring a further drop off point. They’re competing with Minnie Vans aren’t they? Of course people would be pissed at the inconvenience even though this service is not Disney run nor “Disney’s problem”.

A happy, satisfied guest, is (should be) the goal.

I didnt read everything, but garden grocer stated that their services werent changing- it's just mobility and strollers

While this reduces competition (sorta) and that is never a good thing, I also feel Disney does have the right to control the habits of their customers.

Lets admit that WE the guest, do things that force Disney to change their policies, because fanaticism and sharing info on the internet make something that was nice blow up into a large behemoth.

Look at dining reservations. So much in demand Disney had to push them out to 180 days. These scooter and stroller services (and grocery services) have blown up over the past few years, and where it may have just been a few guests doing this new thing, now it is almost the norm. I dont blame Disney not wanting to staff and take responsibility over something like this that has blown up over the years in usage.

While I think this looks pretty skummy (especially the timing), if making one company the exclusive stroller provider helps Disney control this exploding service, so be it.
No different than Disney ONLY offering Coke products in the resorts. If I want a Mountain Dew, I have to go take responsibility myself, pick it up and bring it to my hotel myself.

I don’t think Disney is wrong to be making this decision as much as I don’t like it, but I disagree that an unhappy guest isn’t a Disney issue.

The best comparison I can think of, though admittedly not a fantastic one, would be kind of like Disney disallowing Uber or Lyft from coming into their resort lots, instead requiring a further drop off point. They’re competing with Minnie Vans aren’t they? Of course people would be pissed at the inconvenience even though this service is not Disney run nor “Disney’s problem”.

I agree that guest satisfaction is an issue for Disney. But, inconveniencing a guest does not necessarily mean you lose that guest. Will this change make people decide (in large enough amounts) that they will not stay on site and rather go somewhere else. I think this is definitely one of those things that affects people on these boards way more than the "average' Disney guest. In fact, it probably affects DVC members like myself more, as they are the ones that return on site year after year and develop these "habits" or "routines" on their Disney vacation, meant to maximize their time there. Keeping in mind a large amount of people only go once every couple of years and probably vaguely remember if they could or could not do something.

Even the Uber or Lyft thing, actually a lot of places do in fact have a separate place for them to pick up and drop off. Leaving the main entrance at the resort for a taxi stand or other contracted service. Almost every hotel in vegas is this way, a lot of airports and other places as well. Why they have in their app the location to walk to for your ride. Even if Disney did this, I don't think it would be unprecedented and would not drive down guest satisfaction to a point of losing money.

Well I expect any day now Disney will announce their new strollers and ECV Vehicles of course they will be about 100% more than people now pay. I am betting Iger is doing his best to recapture income lost when he did his last price gouge.

Only one dealing with bell hops, but now all the others will come by many many times a day, instead of just a couple of times.

Not without charging significantly more, ... additional trips means extra labor and gas costs, and those are significant operating costs for rental agencies. I doubt there is enough cushion in the profit margin to just eat that expense.

This will force guests to either be less flexible with drop-off times, or go to the approved Disney vendor, ScooterBug, who will still be able to drop-off and pickup the old way.

Yes. Absolutely.

Honestly, would Bell Services store and deliver a lift chair? How would one normally get a bulky or heavy piece of medical equipment to a hotel room? Wouldn't deliver be directly from the vendor?

But Buena Vista doesn't deliver groceries, and there's still no official announcement.

I am 100% confused as to why you wouldn't be able to rent a wheelchair for your entire stay?

You have been extremely fortunate Im personally not aware of any airport's RedCaps who will meet you at your car. How do they know when and at which car to meet you? Which airport? As for DME, there are several threads on the disABILITIES forum where ostershave been completely UNable to get transported from the DME dropoff.
All you have to do is call. If you contact the airport or airline, they will give you the direct number to wheelchair services for your airline. I don't know why others had problems doing this but we fly frontier out of MCO every year and they meet us at the DME drop off or at the Starbucks on that level. Since we are on topic, if anyone needs it here is the number for Prospect at MCO (for frontier) 407-825-3855.

Edit: I just searched the disABITILIES fourms and lots of people including the moderators said they had no issue getting picked up by wheelchair assistance as DME drop off.

Last edited:

Please see the article above, they have now partnered with Scooterbug and will allow only scooterbug to use bell services for 3rd rentals. They basically dropped the other authorized providers. It wasn't a bell services issue, it was them creating & promoting one vendor over others.

Also, relying on bell services to take someone to their room isn't the "fix" to guest who arrive after normal business hours. They would be even more problematic for bell services plus they would only be able to get you so close, for most resorts, you would still be required to walk a decent way to your room.

But I like Scooterbug and as long as the option to have a device there when we arrive, I'm content. Regardless of the cost.

Well I expect any day now Disney will announce their new strollers and ECV Vehicles of course they will be about 100% more than people now pay. I am betting Iger is doing his best to recapture income lost when he did his last price gouge.
Scooterbug has always been the cheapest option so I'd book now just in case they change their prices.

Minnie Vans are actually run by Lyft, so I doubt Disney would ban them, though Uber on the other hand.... I could totally see Lyft becoming the official ride-share platform of WDW and offering tiers of service including Minnie Vans - not that I'm advocating that.

Minnie Vans are actually run by Lyft, so I doubt Disney would ban them, though Uber on the other hand.... I could totally see Lyft becoming the official ride-share platform of WDW and offering tiers of service including Minnie Vans - not that I'm advocating that.
They are run by Disney, through the Lyft app.

What types of scooters does Scooterbug use? I looked at their website and it's not very clear as to what brand they use. I wonder if they will have those set so they can't go more than 3 mph or whatever they have done to the in-park ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter