Disney Wonder Panama Canal with young children (<5 y/o)?

PTX

Earning My Ears
First, apologies if any of the questions I post here breach any etiquette. I've spent a number of hours Googling and reading up on old messages before writing this but would like to get some current input. This will be our first Disney cruise. My wife and I have been on much smaller adventure cruises pre-kids (~150 people), so we're not complete cruise novices, but this would be our first time on a "big" cruise ship and the first time as a family.

We're thinking about booking the eastbound Panama Canal cruise on the Wonder in Fall 2019. The kids will be 4 years old and 1.5 years old at the time. We're having a few reservations after reading things here and on cruise review sites.

There are a lot of days at sea--5 in a row including the canal transit. I'm worried about the 4 year old's ability to stay entertained. As a 3 y/o now, if he does the same thing a couple of days in a row, he starts to get bored and even refuses to do things. Does the Oceaneer's Club/Lab offer enough to keep a preschooler's attention day-after-day? Obviously he's not going to be in there all day long, but I'd figure at least half of his days are going to be there. What exactly happens during the kids-only time? Do the staff just let them roam about and do whatever they want or are there organized activities? What if he doesn't want to participate? It may change by next year, but his separation anxiety is really strong. Will the staff accept a crying/screaming child who doesn't want to leave mom and dad and help him calm down, or will they simply not let him in?

If the older one is willing to stay in the kid's club, we'd also plan to leave the younger one with the nursery at times. The DCL website says space is limited and reservations are taken well in advance. Is this likely to be an issue with this specific itinerary? I read somewhere that there's space for only 16 toddlers at a time. (Quick aside: Are diapers and wipes available for purchase if we run out before the cruise is over or should we plan to bring enough for the whole trip?) I'd expect she'd be eating simple table food by then or at the very least baby food pouches. I've read conflicting things that said that food is provided if they are there during meal times, but also that parents had to prepare meal plates for their children and bring the food to the nursery. Which is it?

We're looking at a room with a Deluxe Oceanview Verandah (category 5). I know the sofa converts to a small bed and there's a top bunk that stows in the ceiling. Ideally the 1.5 y/o would sleep on the bottom with added railing while the 4 y/o sleeps up top. However, I'm worried that the 4 y/o will be frightened of sleeping up top, in which case he'd sleep on the bottom and the 1.5 y/o would go in a pack-and-play, which she might not fit in by then. So because of this, I'm thinking of booking a Deluxe Family Oceanview Verandah (category 4) to have the option of the bottom sofa bed plus the Murphy bed. Overkill? The difference in cost is not an issue. Does every category 4 have the Murphy bed? It looks like there are forward 4B staterooms under the spa near the bridge available as of now (8014, 8002, 8500, 8502, 8518). Are there any issues with noise in the early morning or late evening in that location? Would any one of those be better than the others?

Thanks for reading such a long post. I hope the community here will be able to help. I know more questions will be coming as I think of them.

Sorry, can't answer the child questions directly as my children are grown. But, my husband and I will be on the cruise you will be looking at this October, in a few weeks! I can confirm there are a lot of young children and many that will be nursery age. Since it's 2 weeks through the panama canal there are less children than normal, I hear. And, most will be pre school aged or home schooled. This will be our 6th disney cruise and although I've seen some melt downs and some children not well behaved, from what I saw there was so much to entertain them all the time! One note, I have heard that excursions are hard with younger children, as there is not much they can do. If there is anything specifically you would like me to check out in October, I would be glad to do that!

We did Panama Canal in January 2011 when our kids were 5 years and 1.5 years. They both had a great time. We did have two grandmas, 1 grandpa, and a great grandma with us. The kids clubs have a mix of organized activities and free range activities. The nursery time wasn’t an issue as there weren’t that many toddlers on our cruise. There tend to be fewer kids on the longer cruises, especially if during typical school year. A few times we dropped by the nursery to see if they had time available, and the answer was always yes. Several times she was the only child in there. We had a regular verandah room. The 19 month old slept on the lower bed and the 5 year old on the bunk bed. 19 month old ate food from regular menus, we did not bring baby food. We packed diapers and wipes, but you can buy them onboard if you need to.

(Quick aside: Are diapers and wipes available for purchase if we run out before the cruise is over or should we plan to bring enough for the whole trip?) I'd expect she'd be eating simple table food by then or at the very least baby food pouches. I've read conflicting things that said that food is provided if they are there during meal times, but also that parents had to prepare meal plates for their children and bring the food to the nursery. Which is it?
You can purchase diapers & wipes, but the size you need may not be available onboard. And the cost will be high. It's a good idea, if possible, to bring what you're going to need. You can also purchase such items in ports of call, probably cheaper than onboard.

In the nursery, you must bring the food you want your child to eat. In the Oceaneer's Club/Lab there are lunch and dinner mealtimes (not necessarily coinciding with your dinner seating) but the kids are not made to sit down and eat. Basically an announcement is made "dinner is here". It's up to the child to stop what they're doing and go and eat.

We did Panama with a 3 year old, and have cruises a few time with a baby/toddler.

As above said, there will be far far less kids than normal (our sailing had less than 250 which is insane for Disney). The longer cruises with less kids tended to have more structured activities than usual in the Clubs and the counselors got to really know our little one. We were pretty spoiled with the level of attention he got on this cruise compared to normal.

You’ll be able to pre book 10 nursery hours but once onboard you’ll be able to add a lot more. We’ve never been turned away dropping in and that’s on packed cruises.

Our toddler was a finicky eater so we always take care of that before nursery drop off. They can feed them any food you leave and I believe we’ve always checked off that other snacks (applesauce, goldfish, etc) are okay to give her so I assume they have some snacks.

Oh the beds. At 4 my son LOVED the top bunk so that’s a possibility. What we’ve done though is put the baby in the bed with one adult and the other one sleeps on the sofa (it’s not a pull out but a converted bed (similar to a train bed) so we’ve always been comfy. You could have the 2 kids and one parent in the bed if it really came to it.

You can buy diapers and wipes but they are expensive. We stopped at a Walmart or Target (can’t remember which) on the way to port and picked up a big box of both.

We really liked the longer cruise with a little one. Plenty of pool time, club time, the pace was slower. I think it’s worth it for sure.

You’ll be able to pre book 10 nursery hours but once onboard you’ll be able to add a lot more. We’ve never been turned away dropping in and that’s on packed cruises.
10 hours is for a 3/4 night cruise. For a Panama Canal cruise it's more:

Max hours:

3 or 4 night cruise – 10 hours

7 night cruise – 18 hours

14 night cruise – 35 hours

You might consider the westbound Panama Canal instead, as you gain an hour of sleep on three occasions, where you lose it on the eastbound trip. That could make for pretty cranky kiddos.

re: diapers, you’ll undoubtedly be going to Puerto Vallarta, where you can see WalMart from the dock.

Thanks for all the replies so far. We've never co-slept so I didn't even think that one of us could sleep on the top bunk if the 4 y/o refuses to do it. That gives us more cabin options. Hopefully by that age, we'll be able to avoid a pack-and-play for the younger one, especially since bed rails are available.

I like the idea that our kids could be getting extra individualized attention if the cruise really is as light on children as reported. Any comments about separation anxiety and temper tantrums at drop off at the club? If he's totally refusing to stay and having a meltdown, will they take him and help him calm down, or would we have to put our adult plans on hold until he's willing to stay?

Any advice about strollers? I know they have them available to borrow, but the pictures I've seen show they are pretty large. We have a very light umbrella stroller, but it would be one more thing we'd have to deal with pre- and post-cruise.

Will it be an issue getting a dining table for ourselves for our family of 4? Not that we want to completely avoid other people, but we probably won't be very good dining companions having to tend to a toddler and a 4 year-old. I read this review by a couple who said their dinners were ruined because they were seated with a young family that couldn't hold a conversation with them, but they just sucked it up for the whole cruise instead of asking to be reassigned. That's more on the couple than the family, but the last thing I want is disgruntled people glowering at us over dinner for bringing kids on a Disney cruise...

From my observation, the club staff will try to help, but if he's completely refusing to stay I don't know that they will take him anyway. I would encourage you to take him to open houses on the first day and throughout the cruise so he gets used to the space and is familiar with things like where the bathroom is, how to wash his hands, what he can do. Chances are that he will be fairly happy. They can get a hold of you if he's unhappy. I will say that in my experience the staff did not do much to engage my kids in activities; i learned to send them to an activity with instructions to ask about that activity and listen for announcements carefully.

Around the ship itself you may find a stroller to be unnecessary. For ports though, I think having a light umbrella stroller is useful - plus maybe you'll need it at the airport itself?

For sleeping, consider a Kidco Peapod - basically a travel tent. We had one big enough to fit our nearly 3yo. A comfy place to sleep that takes up less room than a pack & play and no risk of falling. Folds up pretty small.

And as for dining: definitely make a request for your own table. We always do. I dislike eating with strangers on my family vacation!

You should be able to get a table for just the 4 of you. However, if you are seated with others, in all likelihood they will have children about the same age and you will all be dealing with toddlers

Thanks for all the replies so far. We've never co-slept so I didn't even think that one of us could sleep on the top bunk if the 4 y/o refuses to do it. That gives us more cabin options. Hopefully by that age, we'll be able to avoid a pack-and-play for the younger one, especially since bed rails are available.

I like the idea that our kids could be getting extra individualized attention if the cruise really is as light on children as reported. Any comments about separation anxiety and temper tantrums at drop off at the club? If he's totally refusing to stay and having a meltdown, will they take him and help him calm down, or would we have to put our adult plans on hold until he's willing to stay?

Any advice about strollers? I know they have them available to borrow, but the pictures I've seen show they are pretty large. We have a very light umbrella stroller, but it would be one more thing we'd have to deal with pre- and post-cruise.

Will it be an issue getting a dining table for ourselves for our family of 4? Not that we want to completely avoid other people, but we probably won't be very good dining companions having to tend to a toddler and a 4 year-old. I read this review by a couple who said their dinners were ruined because they were seated with a young family that couldn't hold a conversation with them, but they just sucked it up for the whole cruise instead of asking to be reassigned. That's more on the couple than the family, but the last thing I want is disgruntled people glowering at us over dinner for bringing kids on a Disney cruise...

Separation issues- I recommend going to an open house time when parents and kids play in the club together. They can get a feel for it, introduce them to conselors, and then play the “you’re so lucky you get to come here all the time. Normally it’s for kids only” spiel. Then make it sound like it’s a real treat for big kids to get to get to go play at the club now.

In our experience if you’re dining at the adult restaurants, doing one of the adult tastings, etc and let them know at drop off they will do what the can to avoid calling you. Otherwise anytime your child is either upset (other than a quick bump,and shake it off) they’ll call you. Keep in mind that it’s set up so that at anytime your son can walk up and say I’m done playing call my parents and they will. It’s structured so they call the shots when they want to go and stay (that said if you’re at Palo they’ll try to talk them into staying).

We avoid strollers like the plague. There just isn’t great space to store them in the cabin and you can’t really park them around the ship. At most a small umbrella for port excursions would be the most wed ever do.

When you reserve have them note you’d like a table alone and say something like we’ve got a toddler and sometimes meals are interesting...that should do the trick.

From my observation, the club staff will try to help, but if he's completely refusing to stay I don't know that they will take him anyway. I would encourage you to take him to open houses on the first day and throughout the cruise so he gets used to the space and is familiar with things like where the bathroom is, how to wash his hands, what he can do. Chances are that he will be fairly happy. They can get a hold of you if he's unhappy. I will say that in my experience the staff did not do much to engage my kids in activities; i learned to send them to an activity with instructions to ask about that activity and listen for announcements carefully.

Around the ship itself you may find a stroller to be unnecessary. For ports though, I think having a light umbrella stroller is useful - plus maybe you'll need it at the airport itself?

For sleeping, consider a Kidco Peapod - basically a travel tent. We had one big enough to fit our nearly 3yo. A comfy place to sleep that takes up less room than a pack & play and no risk of falling. Folds up pretty small.

I didn't know about the open houses. He'll be much better if he can get acclimated with use there ahead of time. I'm hoping all this worrying is for nothing since I'm trying to extrapolate how he is at 3 years-old compared to how he'll be at 4 years-old. We'd not leave him there all the time unless he wants to be there, but it would be nice to have at least a couple of adult meals.

If we borrow a stroller from the ship, do we have to store it in our cabin the entire time or can it be checked-in and out of wherever they are distributed?

The Kidco PeaPod looks intriguing. I've not come across that before. Thanks for the recommendation. We have another trip planned when the baby will be around 8 months old and that seems a lot better than trying to lug around a pack-and-play.

There will be open houses throughout the cruise at which anyone can go, so it's a great way to get him used to the spaces and the bonus is that the little one will get to play as well, as long as parents remain to supervise.

Definitely the Kidco Peapod is a great little device!

If you haven't already, check out disneycruiselineblog.com - Scott collects Navigators there (the daily itinerary sheet) and if you look for the past EBPC cruises you can get an idea of what is offered in terms of activities on a daily basis.

FWIW, I love strollers for that age in airports. A small one might be worth the trade off of keeping it in the room.

I think the stroller is going to be useful for embarkation and disembarkation, plus the ports and the airport, so we'll probably take it if we go and just figure out how to stow it in the cabin.

I think the stroller is going to be useful for embarkation and disembarkation, plus the ports and the airport, so we'll probably take it if we go and just figure out how to stow it in the cabin.
There is a lot of storage room under the bed--it fit all 4 of our checked luggage and we had room for more stuff. I'd think if it's an umbrella or a small folding stroller, it'd fit fine!

Recently sailed the WBPC and while we didn't have kids that age, we did notice far fewer kids on the ship. I can't remember the number, but we were told it was very low. Overall the ship was far less crowded than typical cruises, even though every cabin was sold. You should have no problem getting nursery time or other reservations. We did notice a lot of the cruisers on board had cruised MANY times and there were a lot of DVC members too. Those veterans get priority booking, but we still did fine with availability.

I recommend you do bring a stroller, but maybe make it one of the small "umbrella" strollers that are much smaller than the full strollers. You may want that stroller for shore excursions, but I would try and avoid using it on board. You could (and some do) but spaces can feel a bit tighter at times with a stroller.

As for purchasing incidentals that you may run out of, I echo what has already been stated. There are some small quantities of diapers, wipes, lotions, medications, etc. available on board, but they are more expensive and really intended to fill a temporary gap.

As for entertaining your child when there are several sea days in a row. It is definitely possible to change things up each day, especially if you plan it out that way. There is a small water area to splash around in, family pool with funnel vision movies, there are coloring and other similar activities for kids throughout the day (even if you child isn't up to coloring at the time offered, go pick up the sheets and do it later when he's ready) then there is also the theater that shows movies all day long and (of course) the character meet and greets. Watch the navigator carefully and you'll be able to change things up quite nicely.

Just skimmed the thread. DS was 4 on our EBPC and no problems. I knew we made an excellent choice when we were standing at the elevators and one of the clubbers walked by said Hi to him by name and spoke with him like they were good buddies. To this day, 7 years later, and he still asks on port days if we can go back to the ship

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter