• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wonder - Galveston to San Jaun - January 20, 2017

Hi! Too late to join an FE Group? I have two daughters - ages 3 and 5 and this will be our first Disney cruise.

Virginia
Vivian
Emma
and BFF Melva
Welcome to the group!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
How exciting, your first Disney cruise.
Yes, we can make room.
It is my hope that we can provide a place for everyone that wants to take part in FE magic.
Since you are already over 10 posts, I will get you added to the roll call, and get the FE message out to you.
Welcome aboard. When you get a chance, try catching up on the entire thread. There are some good bits of info for first time cruisers. If you have any questions, ask away.

~Tink~

~BUMP~​
Mixology sign up is still open. We can have up to 40 people in the group. So if we reach 20 and you are still interested, there will still be room for more.
I am going to try to post this at the top of each page (going forward ) so new members won't have to search to find out what we are planning.

~Planned activities ~
(Meets, cabin crawls, mixology, etc )

Mixology
(will need a minimum of 20 - must be 21 or older)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow (2)
SunI17 (2 )
StefunnyD (1)
MNnice (2)
Sian (2)
Bbrown (2)
ColoradoMrs (2)
Angel and Bear (2)
jenncardenas (2)
Wanderbuff(2)
Ange176 (1)
Clayton5party (2)
Slonesfam (2)​

Pre Cruise Meet for Harbor House
Pixiehallow
MNnice

StefunnyD
Zoijmvs

BBrown
crystalsnowseekins
Mngirl80
westonkamom
asperle
alaskanabbott
MNMommyof2
Grumpy's Group
Angel Rae
Ange176​

Cabin Crawl
(with or without poker)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow
alaskanabbott
MNnice
Angel Rae
westonkamom​

Hi! We just booked this cruise last minute. We had some DVC points that we had moved to use at Disneyland but due to a death that trip fell through. We have been to WDW a lot and my dh is ready for a change so less than 50 days out, here we are! It's my second cruise on the wonder(2002) and the rest of my family's first Disney cruise! Is it totally ok if it's too late to join in on the FE and depending on the date and time my DH and I would be interested in the mixology class, but I haven't read the thread to find the time. We have a 3 year old DD and a 1 year old DS. So, we need a break, lol! Here is our family

Melissa
John
Lily
Jonah

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi! We just booked this cruise last minute. We had some DVC points that we had moved to use at Disneyland but due to a death that trip fell through. We have been to WDW a lot and my dh is ready for a change so less than 50 days out, here we are! It's my second cruise on the wonder(2002) and the rest of my families first Disney cruise! Is it totally ok if it's too late to join in on the FE and depending on the date and time my DH and I would be interested in the mixology class, but I haven't read the thread to find the time. We have a 3 year old DD and a 1 year old DS. So, we need a break, lol! Here is our family

Melissa
John
Lily
Jonah

Thanks!
This is our second Disney Cruise on the Wonder too! You are not alone :) You guys should go to the Mixology. It will be fun!

Hi! We just booked this cruise last minute. We had some DVC points that we had moved to use at Disneyland but due to a death that trip fell through. We have been to WDW a lot and my dh is ready for a change so less than 50 days out, here we are! It's my second cruise on the wonder(2002) and the rest of my family's first Disney cruise! Is it totally ok if it's too late to join in on the FE and depending on the date and time my DH and I would be interested in the mixology class, but I haven't read the thread to find the time. We have a 3 year old DD and a 1 year old DS. So, we need a break, lol! Here is our family

Melissa
John
Lily
Jonah

Thanks!
Welcome to the group Melissa!
You are not to late. I will add you to group 3.
You will be the 4th cabin in the group, but if the last 2 days are any indication, you will not be the last. Check your messages. I will send you a message about what I need for the FE spreadsheet.
If you want me to add you to the mixology, just let me know. We don't have a set date yet. I am waiting for the shore side coordinator to get back to me 30 days before sailing date . A majority has voted for the first sea day in the afternoon .

I've done some background reading now on this forum - lots of good information - thanks!! So, our group will be Vivian (5), Emma (3), me and my BF, Melva. My husband has decided to opt out of the cruise because he gets very bad motion sickness and it would basically be a nightmare for him. I'm bummed that he won't join us but I am so so excited for our girls' first Disney cruise. they know they're going on a special trip and they ask about it every day, it seems. We also signed up for the Royal Tea - is anyone else participating? Thanks again for adding us to the FE group.

Virginia

I've done some background reading now on this forum - lots of good information - thanks!! So, our group will be Vivian (5), Emma (3), me and my BF, Melva. My husband has decided to opt out of the cruise because he gets very bad motion sickness and it would basically be a nightmare for him. I'm bummed that he won't join us but I am so so excited for our girls' first Disney cruise. they know they're going on a special trip and they ask about it every day, it seems. We also signed up for the Royal Tea - is anyone else participating? Thanks again for adding us to the FE group.

Virginia
Two moms were talking about it. I think they signed up.
I wish I had little girls so I could go!!!
Are you doing a special reveal about the cruise for the girls?

I was planning to keep it a surprise but my excitement got the best of me! They know we're going on a large ship and they heard Disney for sure, but they're really too young to know what to expect. Other than the booking, online check-in and royal tea, I haven't done much else for prep. Now I have less than 40 days to get it together! I've got most of their outfit done for Pirate's night - well some if it. I need to figure out girls' shirts/dresses for day 1. I need to research any excursions (lol - i know, i know, I'm so late!) and prep my FE gifts. Oh, and I should probably have a clue as to weather so i know whether we'll be bundling up or sunbathing.

I was planning to keep it a surprise but my excitement got the best of me! They know we're going on a large ship and they heard Disney for sure, but they're really too young to know what to expect. Other than the booking, online check-in and royal tea, I haven't done much else for prep. Now I have less than 40 days to get it together! I've got most of their outfit done for Pirate's night - well some if it. I need to figure out girls' shirts/dresses for day 1. I need to research any excursions (lol - i know, i know, I'm so late!) and prep my FE gifts. Oh, and I should probably have a clue as to weather so i know whether we'll be bundling up or sunbathing.
Well, as for weather, expect it to be a bit chilly here in Texas, but dress in layers. The saying in Texas is 'If you don't like the weather hang around a few minutes and it WILL change'. It is more than likely that we will have a very cool morning, with a chance for the afternoon to get into the 70's, and then have the temps drop quickly when the sun sets.
We have been watching the weather in Cozumel, and after a front goes through here, about 2 days later Cozumel's temp drops about 10 degrees. As for the other stops, if last years weather holds true, we will probably be in the 80's. Considering that I am playing weatherman right now though, I reserve the same right that weatherman have. That is that I have a 50 / 50 chance of being right!!!:rotfl2:
And being a late comer, you will love the Monday Forget Me Nots that I am planning for either this week or next. It is going to be about bare bones. The jest of it is going to be something like ... It's a Disney cruise to the Caribbean, throw in a swim suit or 2, something to wear to dinner, some sun screen, and you are all set...But it will be more thought out I am sure!
So don't stress, or else you will miss the half of the fun that is the planning!
Oh, and for day 1 my suggestion is to go with a theme (if it is not to much of a hassle). Theme days are a fun way to start a vacation. I don't know if you saw the Donald Sailor outfit several pages back or not. We are doing a Donald Duck theme. The guys are wearing their matching Donald t-shirts, and I get to wear the sailor out fit.

Hi all...we just booked this yesterday! We are a family of 4 ..my DH and I and our two kids Danica (6) and Xavier (3).

We were the wonder ..our first and only cruise a couple of years ago but we wanted to try it again.

We got a great deal on flights from
Chicago and the cruise was booked as OGT. It was the cheapest of
Any Disney cruise for that many people. We are easy going and don't care what type of room we get.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. A few questions to pic your brain:

1) we are planning on arriving late the night before (so our daughter doesn't have to miss an extra day of school) and we're planning on just getting a room by Bush airport and renting a car from enterprise and leaving it at the port. That's $200 just for the car. What do most people do?

2) our flight leaves at 3:30 the day we arrive in San Juan. How easy is it to get from port to airport?

3) what excursions are people doing? We definitely want to get some beach time in but wasn't sure if we always been a formal excursion for that or if there are public beaches close to any of the ports?

Hi all...we just booked this yesterday! We are a family of 4 ..my DH and I and our two kids Danica (6) and Xavier (3).

We were the wonder ..our first and only cruise a couple of years ago but we wanted to try it again.

We got a great deal on flights from
Chicago and the cruise was booked as OGT. It was the cheapest of
Any Disney cruise for that many people. We are easy going and don't care what type of room we get.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. A few questions to pic your brain:

1) we are planning on arriving late the night before (so our daughter doesn't have to miss an extra day of school) and we're planning on just getting a room by Bush airport and renting a car from enterprise and leaving it at the port. That's $200 just for the car. What do most people do?

2) our flight leaves at 3:30 the day we arrive in San Juan. How easy is it to get from port to airport?

3) what excursions are people doing? We definitely want to get some beach time in but wasn't sure if we always been a formal excursion for that or if there are public beaches close to any of the ports?
Welcome to the group Cmeller!
1. There is a shuttle service (Galveston Express ) that has shuttle service from the airport and airport area hotels to the port. I also received a 'Getting ready for your cruise ' email from Disney yesterday that mentioned scheduling Disney transfer services from the airport and airport area hotels to the port. If you need that link, just let me know.
2. From what I understand, the airport is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the port, and there are supposed to be taxis readily available. From what I've read, if you take a taxi, make sure to get a price before getting into the taxi. You can search cruise to airport taxis in San Juan to get an idea on prices. FYI, we are supposed to be docking at the Pan American pier.
Also, the Disney email I mentioned in question 1 also said something about Disney transfers to the airport in San Juan.
3. In Cozumel, several families are talking about Paradise Beach.
In Grand Caymans, all beaches on the island are public, but reviews and fellow cruisers say 7 Mile beach is awesome. It is only a few miles from the tender pier, and there are taxis and buses available.
I don't have any information on Jamaica. If any other group members have a good beach please share (for Jamaica and all other stops as well , thanks ).
I hope this helps.
I will add you to the roll call. If you are interested in any of the group activities, please let me know.

~Tink ~

Welcome to the group Cmeller!
1. There is a shuttle service (Galveston Express ) that has shuttle service from the airport and airport area hotels to the port. I also received a 'Getting ready for your cruise ' email from Disney yesterday that mentioned scheduling Disney transfer services from the airport and airport area hotels to the port. If you need that link, just let me know.
2. From what I understand, the airport is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the port, and there are supposed to be taxis readily available. From what I've read, if you take a taxi, make sure to get a price before getting into the taxi. You can search cruise to airport taxis in San Juan to get an idea on prices. FYI, we are supposed to be docking at the Pan American pier.
Also, the Disney email I mentioned in question 1 also said something about Disney transfers to the airport in San Juan.
3. In Cozumel, several families are talking about Paradise Beach.
In Grand Caymans, all beaches on the island are public, but reviews and fellow cruisers say 7 Mile beach is awesome. It is only a few miles from the tender pier, and there are taxis and buses available.
I don't have any information on Jamaica. If any other group members have a good beach please share (for Jamaica and all other stops as well , thanks ).
I hope this helps.
I will add you to the roll call. If you are interested in any of the group activities, please let me know.

~Tink ~

Tink - thanks so much. We are really excited. If you want to email any information you have to cpmeller7751@yahoo.com that would be helpful.

We may be interested in the group activities but will let you know once we read through the thread a bit. Our daughter is a social butterfly so I'm sure she will meet lots of kids on the cruise.

Is the paradise island an activity purchased through Disney activities?

Thanks!

Did anyone else see on the getting ready for your cruise email that there is NO formal night anymore? I know it's a 6 nighter but I thought there was one?

Did anyone else see on the getting ready for your cruise email that there is NO formal night anymore? I know it's a 6 nighter but I thought there was one?
I saw that, but in a previous email it listed the Captains Gala.
As for us, we are still bringing our formals. We love to dress up, and as long as we are not going to dinner in swim trunks and flip flops, we are in acceptable attire.
If there are others that want to dress up, we can plan our own formal night, and all go dressed in our finest that night. Plus, we will be prepared for getting on the boat and finding out there is a formal night.
Side note, being a 6 night does not seem to be a reason, we have been on 3 and 4 night cruises with Disney and we have had the Captains Gala on them.

Happy Monday everyon!
Todays Monday Forget Me Not's is about after sun and after wind help.
(By the way, only 5 more Monday's after today :D)

This week, is all about items you need after you have enjoyed your day on deck or at the beach :beach:

Make sure you pack products for after Sun :sunny: and after wind:boat:.
Nothing ruins your cruise faster than a bad sun burn or dried out chapped skin from wind burn.
As much as I hate to admit it, knowing that with skin cancer I should be very careful out in the sun, I start having fun, and forget to reapply my sun screen. And, unless you live in southern Florida, the sun will be more intense than you are used to, on this cruise. The last thing you are going to want after a day of fun is going to be the reminders that you too forgot to reapply. A good product to have in your luggage to help with this is a tube of Aloe Vera or an after sun treatment w/ a pain reliever. I have found that keeping this in the ice box in the room, makes for a soothing relief from the burn.
And for the first time cruisers, something that you may not realize is how much the wind will effect you. After being up on deck all day, or on the beach all day (we will most likely have windy days on the beach this time of year), your skin and lips will dry out and potentially become chapped. A helpful prevention is to stay hydrated, but after the fact you will want a good moisturizing lotion, and some chap stick (or carmex). As part of the toiletry amenities in your cabin, you will have body butter. This is good for your dry skin. Our family is also partial to Mary Kay's night cream (if you have ever used Mary Kay, it is the pink stuff that has the consistency of vaseline).
These to small (and easily forgettable) items could make the difference between being comfortable enough to make it through all of the clothes that you have packed in your 2 allowed pieces of luggage, and wearing the only comfortable sun dress or tank top in your luggage for the remainder of the cruise.

Have a great week,

~Tink~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter