• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wonder - 6-13 June 2022 Quick Reflections

Calantha

DIS Veteran
Not sure a trip report is in my future, but here's my quick take on the good and the bad from our Alaska cruise. Also, happy to answer any questions.

The Good
  1. Best serving team ever. The Head Server and our main team were so kind and helpful. DS was sick for part of the trip (not covid) and they really went above and beyond to be helpful to me and DH.
  2. The views and wildlife. We saw way more whales, eagles, and other creatures than I expected.
  3. The excursions in Ketchikan and Juneau - The Bering Strait Crab Fisherman's Tour (booked independently) and the Juneau Photo Safari (land hike to view the glacier and then whale watching) were both totally awesome.
  4. Character Interactions. Yes, there was still distancing, but we had good conversations and lots of pictures. Also, the staff was always happy to tell you/find out who was coming next (since that still isn't posted in the Navigator)

The Bad/Unfortunate
  1. DS was sick before we even got on the ship, so that curtailed a lot of activities on the first part of the cruise. Not Disney's fault for sure, but definitely put a damper on things.
  2. The Weather. Yes, it didn't rain that much, but it was way colder than I expected (even when it was saying 50°F+). I could have swapped the shorts/swimsuit for an extra sweatshirt or two.
  3. Palo without the buffet - and I told Disney about it in the after-cruise survey. I wouldn't schedule it again unless they change it back.
  4. Golden Mickeys total show failure - they ended up cancelling it and re-showing it during the next day (so we didn't get to see it).
Other notes:
  • Cabana's was much better than when we were on the Dream in January.
  • I really liked the dinner shows in Tiana's Place and AP.
  • I did feel the age and smaller size of the ship. I think I'm a Dream/Fantasy person... DS was disappointed that there was no bunk bed and I really missed the convenience of the Vista Cafe.
  • Parts of Deck 2 and 5 still restricted for quarantine.

Thanks for the post! Sailing on the Wonder in January.

• I did feel the age and smaller size of the ship. I think I'm a Dream/Fantasy person... DS was disappointed that there was no bunk bed and I really missed the convenience of the Vista Cafe.
Sorry your DS was sick. :( Just a note, there are also rooms in the Dream/Fantasy without the upper bunk. Some are meant for three people, others four.

Thanks for sharing with us. That is a shame about your DS being sick, not what you want when you go on vacation, but its great that the CM's went out of their way to still make it special for you all.

We've booked the whale and glacier photo excursion for our trip in September, so good to know you had an amazing time.

So they are still doing quarantine areas then? Our room is Deck 2 Aft so it does make me wonder if we will get moved. What deck and room type did you have?

So they are still doing quarantine areas then? Our room is Deck 2 Aft so it does make me wonder if we will get moved. What deck and room type did you have?
Yes. Deck 2 Fwd on the Starboard was closed beyond the elevator area (didn't look on Port side), but mid and aft were open. We were Deck 2 Mid. It was very convenient to 3/4.

Yes. Deck 2 Fwd was closed, but mid and aft were open. We were Deck 2 Mid. It was very convenient to 3/4.
Ah so we should be fine then, thanks. I will admit I am a verandah gal but I am quite excited for our room as the way I see it we will be closer to sea level which will give a different view perspective and maybe even see marine life.

I like that we are close to the elevators and its a straight run up to most of the important stuffs.

I'm sorry to hear your DS was sick for part of it (though glad it was not Covid). Hopefully he still enjoyed what he could. Do you know which part of deck 5 is used for quarantine? I'm assuming aft? We are booked on deck 5 fwd.

Do you know which part of deck 5 is used for quarantine? I'm assuming aft? We are booked on deck 5 fwd.

I *think* it was 5 fwd starboard, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Since we didn't send DS to the club other than visiting the first day and a quick stay for Palo, we weren't on 5 much. I was on 5 aft even less, which is why I think it had to be fwd. It was the same signs they had posted on the Dream in January (and thus why it caught my attention). But I could have it completely backwards - sorry!

I *think* it was 5 fwd starboard, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Since we didn't send DS to the club other than visiting the first day and a quick stay for Palo, we weren't on 5 much. I was on 5 aft even less, which is why I think it had to be fwd. It was the same signs they had posted on the Dream in January (and thus why it caught my attention). But I could have it completely backwards - sorry!
Haha that's ok, thank you for your reply! We are deck 5 fwd port side so probably won't get moved? We are also booked on the Wonder in December, again deck 5 fwd but starboard 😂 That is 6 months out though so who knows what things will be like then!

Would you be able to post the evening show entertainment each night?
First night - open
Golden Mickeys
Dr. Strange
Another variety act - didn't save the name.
Frozen
Jon Armstrong Magic Show
Disney Dreams

I might have them slightly out of order in the middle.

Ah so we should be fine then, thanks. I will admit I am a verandah gal but I am quite excited for our room as the way I see it we will be closer to sea level which will give a different view perspective and maybe even see marine life.

I like that we are close to the elevators and its a straight run up to most of the important stuffs.
We did deck 2 for Alaska and it was AMAZING. We saw several seals and sea lions at water level, including a group of them floating on an iceberg right outside our window. We initially booked a verandah for the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this summer, but switched to the same room we were in for Alaska (deck 2 aft) when it opened up.

We did deck 2 for Alaska and it was AMAZING. We saw several seals and sea lions at water level, including a group of them floating on an iceberg right outside our window. We initially booked a verandah for the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this summer, but switched to the same room we were in for Alaska (deck 2 aft) when it opened up.
Ah thats amazing! I can't wait to get on this cruise, it's been on our bucket list for years now.

You're doing the Fjords this summer?

what do you mean with Golden Mickeys was a failure? What happened?
It played about 5 minutes and the lights came up - and they said due to technical issues, the show would be delayed. We waited about 10 minutes, and the show restarted. Then, about 10 minutes later, same thing happened (and we were experiencing issues the whole time - random lights would flash at the audience, etc.). We waited a few more minutes and then decided to leave when it became clear they didn't know how much longer the delay would be. Then, in the morning, I saw that the show would be performed again at 10AM in the theater, which leads me to believe that it didn't really restart after we left.

It played about 5 minutes and the lights came up - and they said due to technical issues, the show would be delayed. We waited about 10 minutes, and the show restarted. Then, about 10 minutes later, same thing happened (and we were experiencing issues the whole time - random lights would flash at the audience, etc.). We waited a few more minutes and then decided to leave when it became clear they didn't know how much longer the delay would be. Then, in the morning, I saw that the show would be performed again at 10AM in the theater, which leads me to believe that it didn't really restart after we left.
Golden Mickeys is one of my favorites. I'd def be bummed out by that.

Ah thats amazing! I can't wait to get on this cruise, it's been on our bucket list for years now.

You're doing the Fjords this summer?
It's an amazing cruise! Definitely my favourite trip of all time!

We're doing the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland trip this year. We originally had three ports in Norway on the itinerary, but it's changed a couple times since then and now have two ports in Iceland and one in Norway.

That must have been the late Golden Mickeys show as the early one was fine.

Strangely, there was nothing in the Walt Disney Theatre on the first night. I meant to ask Lee and then forgot.

The comedian on night 4 was Matt Baker.

Deck 2 port side was closed aft, several people in the FE group were moved, and I think deck 2 port side fore was closed also, but I am not completely sure.

There was only a naturalist aboard after Ketchikan, and a real lack of nature and culture programs. As Disney owns Nat Geo, it is really surprising that they don't use those resources. HAL's programming in conjunction with BBC Earth is excellent, and DCL could offer similar programming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter