Disney with Large Families

We're a family of 6 so I understand your dilemma. When our youngest was under 2 we stayed at POR in the Alligator Bayou (our favorite!) section. We also stayed at the FW Cabins a few times. They have plenty of space, the downside is that the campground is huge. So we rented a golf cart for the week and that solved our transportation issues. We just bungee corded our stroller to the back and off we went. We have stayed in many of the DVC properties in studios-3 bedroom villas and they are nice. OKW units are some of the largest. When we stay offsite we stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It's close to the parks and a better value for our family size needs.

I would do a two-bedroom at Old Key West. Largest rooms on property. It would include a full kitchen (that you don't have to use) and laundry (which I find very useful). I usually get a one-bedroom for my family of four. The most cooking I do is pouring cereal and making coffee. Once I got some frozen breakfast sandwiches and microwaved them. This will give you a king master, a living room/kitchen and a second bedroom with 2 queen beds. Plenty of space for everyone. If you wanted the living room also has a sleeper sofa and chair.
I would recommend Dave's Vacation Rental to get the idea of how much the points would cost. Since you homeschool, some lower point times may be available to you but they are also popular with DVC members so you may need to plan in advance.
Upside to rentals - the cost.
Downside - usually you cannot cancel. Once a member books with points, they have rules about usage and rebooking. So if they let you cancel they could lose use of those points for the year and the is $$ in dues that they paid out and had no return either in use or rental. You do not get daily housekeeping. You would not get towels replenished until day 4. You get a set of shampoo, coffee etc. but you don't get that replenished daily. Things like extra towels cost $.

Following. We have 5 kids, and my husband and I both agree Disney does not appear to be very large family friendly.

Once you have over 4 kids it does start to limit your options. You can do 2 rooms at any resort. Or DVC 2 bedroom units. The campground is a good option if you like to camp. There are even people who rent RVs and will bring them and set them up for you. You can rent anything from tents to a pop up to large trailers.

We're a family of 6 so I understand your dilemma. When our youngest was under 2 we stayed at POR in the Alligator Bayou (our favorite!) section. We also stayed at the FW Cabins a few times. They have plenty of space, the downside is that the campground is huge. So we rented a golf cart for the week and that solved our transportation issues. We just bungee corded our stroller to the back and off we went. We have stayed in many of the DVC properties in studios-3 bedroom villas and they are nice. OKW units are some of the largest. When we stay offsite we stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It's close to the parks and a better value for our family size needs.

Ok, so considering an off site stay, how do you budget for meals? It's our very first trip, so I'm thinking the extra hours might be worth paying a premium for a Disney resort. We are now thinking either the Cabins or AOA Suite. . . I'm all over the place. I need a vacation from my vacation planning. LOL

Again, we're a family of 6 so what we do might not be for you, but it is food for thought.

1. When we stay off site and are out of pocket for food we split adult meals at counter service restaurants. I don't order kid meals as often they aren't worth it. Either not enough food, not enough variety, or just not worth the price IMO. Table service they get their own and order off the kids menu when available.
  2. Breakfast is often something in the room or on the go. Granola or cereal bars. If eating in the room and have a kitchen we do oatmeal, cereal, or Eggo waffles.
  3. I try to budget $100/day for food but know that some days might be closer to $200 if we're eating at a table service restaurant.
  4. We go with a plan. We know where we want to eat and have reservations if needed. We also review the menus and are aware of what we might be ordering in advance so that we can stick with our budget and know where we might be sharing a dish. Keep in mind that we don't always share at QS meals, but often someone does and it's no big deal. Likewise having a plan for TS dining helps keep us on budget as we've planned it out.
  5. When staying at a timeshare or cabins we might cook a meal in room or bbq on the grill.

We are also a family of 6. But my girls tend to be grazers. I'm surprised when they finish a meal. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter