Disney with a sensory sensitive kiddo?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
my youngest DD (will be 6 at trip time) has a mild form of sensory processing disorder, it isn't something that causes a lot of issues in daily life but I want to help her have the best time possible... to give an example of things that bother her, today we went to a local fair and she had an absolute meltdown because it was TOO LOUD (lots of loud music) TOO MANY BIRDS (seagulls flocking for scraps) and TOO MANY people... I would like to get her a pair of noise cancelling headphones (recommendations appreciated) what else can I do to help her? We are going in January which I know historically has lower crowds but we can't really count on that in a post pandemic world

DD used Peltor Jr earmuffs when she was younger. Consider if a "safe haven" like a stroller might help where she can escape.

DD used Peltor Jr earmuffs when she was younger. Consider if a "safe haven" like a stroller might help where she can escape.
we are definitely getting a stroller, she has low muscle tone in her wrists and ankles and walking for long periods will be a cry fest so I'm not even gonna bother trying to get her to walk every where... would it be weird to bring a sleep mask in case she just needs a total sensory shut off for a bit?

we are definitely getting a stroller, she has low muscle tone in her wrists and ankles and walking for long periods will be a cry fest so I'm not even gonna bother trying to get her to walk every where... would it be weird to bring a sleep mask in case she just needs a total sensory shut off for a bit?
also try for stroller as wheelchair tag so you can take stroller in lines. you can not take in line without tag or into buildings, like for Soarin. if renting a stroller I would get one from offsite as it can be a hike from parking or transportation to the gate

All great suggestions. At that age, our sensory sensitive kiddo couldn’t handle the auto flushes of the toilets so we got large square stickers to put over the sensors. If that is also an issue, try that. We also had long mid-day meals in quieter restaurants and made sure to have as much pool time as possible because it helped them reset. Knowing the out of the way areas and calming attractions is also good. There are lots of great posts listing those.

All great suggestions. At that age, our sensory sensitive kiddo couldn’t handle the auto flushes of the toilets so we got large square stickers to put over the sensors. If that is also an issue, try that. We also had long mid-day meals in quieter restaurants and made sure to have as much pool time as possible because it helped them reset. Knowing the out of the way areas and calming attractions is also good. There are lots of great posts listing those.
oh yes I forgot about toilets! she absolutely hates auto flushing toilets!!

As the mom of a similar kiddo, there are great suggestions here!

Defenitely get ear protectors. We have a pair of Peltor ones and also a pair like the linked ones above-they're similar. Let dd know they are available for her to choose to use, my dd has gotten pretty good at knowing when she needs those. They come in many colors so your dd might like to pick a color.

Yes to the stroller too. It was weird for me to rent a stroller for a kid her age (6 last year when I rented) but it really helped her to have a 'refuge'. She got in and out as needed. I also got the stroller as wheelchair tag. Interestingly, we went to AK for the day recently and now at age 7, she didn't need a stroller!

My dd hates the toilet noise and especially the hand dryers in bathrooms. At AK we used the family bathroom so it was nice and quiet. Mapping those out might be good for your family so you know where to take dd. But having the sticky notes to cover the sensors with is good too .

You should defenitely get her a DAS. I get dd that, we've never had any issue getting it for her. My dd understands the concept of waiting, but being in a space with many noisy people and pre show activity/noise puts her into meltdown. So we are able to wait outside off in a quiet area and remain calm.

Ahead of the trip, you and dd can watch youtube videos of attractions at the parks so dd can get an idea of what to expect and what she might want to avoid.

Have fun on the trip!

You may want to get a fan that clips onto the stroller. With the headphones and a blanket covering the stroller it could get hot and stuffy.

Probably not specifically sensory-related, but we try to stick to as normal a schedule as we can even on vacation. I know a lot of families throw routine out the window but that doesn't work for us. Being well-rested with normal bedtime and eating meals as close to our usual schedule just helps avoid hangry tiredness overstimulation.

January is a great idea- it's much easier for my kids with SPD to go that time of year (even besides the crowds, the temps make a huge difference). We also use a similar type of ear muff, and as long as the kids could fit in it, a stroller with a shade that can be pulled down to block things out, and got the "Stroller as Wheelchair" tag, which made a massive difference (one of our kids also has hypotonia). We also get DAS just in case.

For our family, taking a break in the middle of the day (during the brightest sun and busiest crowds, and to help break up early days and late nights) was a game changer. It used to mean having a two hour long sit down meal in a park during the day, but now that we have a dog, it involves going back to Fort Wilderness for a few hours mid-day to take care of him. One of our kids has said this makes him enjoy the parks more because he is able to really decompress and re-group without constant sensory overload - seriously, staying at a Fort Wilderness cabin, with that calm in the midst of all of the chaos, has been a game changer for us.

We also watch the fireworks at magic kingdom from the TTA people mover if possible or from the beach at Fort Wilderness if it's not a MK day. We have used the wheelchair viewing areas at Epcot before, which was fine, but with MK getting away from the crowds and chaos is pretty key (for us anyway). Our kids actually seem to prefer watching the pre-recorded fireworks show on TV even compared to seeing them in person though so YMMV.

Also, and this should really go for everyone, but staying hydrated (with water vs. soda or milk or whatever) makes a big difference - it's really easy to carry around plenty of bottles of water with a stroller; if you are ever without it though WDW sells these great water bottle holster carrier things - I thought they were a waste of money at first but everyone in our family carries them and stays much better hydrated than when we had the water bottles in backpacks.

We just got back and we brought a sleep mask for my 6 year old with anxiety. She didn't use it often but every now and the found it helpful to be able to shut everything out. Yeah, people probably thought it was weird, but who cares? No one said anything about it

Oh, with regard to sleep masks - one time we were out of town and we lost a sleep mask - went to Target to buy more but couldn't find any - ended up buying a pack of Scunci wide fabric headbands out of desperation and we haven't looked back - now anyone in our family who uses a sleep mask uses these instead - way easier to travel with and much cheaper.

I think they feel better from a sensory perspective because they are softer than most eye masks but also (at least at first) a bit tighter so there is actually some sensory input there besides just blocking things out (that being said, one of my kids just stretches these things out so it goes both ways!)

These are usually about $5 or so for a 5 pack so no big deal if they go missing at the parks or whatever and there is always a backup since they come in a multipack. (My kids don't actually like to use them as actual headbands though - can't win 'em all....)

(Also, personally I couldn't care less if people give us weird looks about our kids wearing a sleep mask or whatever but I understand others may feel self-conscious, this way it could just look like a headband happened to fall down for a bit!)

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 3.21.02 PM.png

Last edited:
You may want to bring your own stroller or rent one once you’re here from an outside company.
I thought I read that the strollers that Disney rents can’t be used tagged for wheelchair use???
Come on Disboards people correct me if I’m wrong.

You may want to bring your own stroller or rent one once you’re here from an outside company.
I thought I read that the strollers that Disney rents can’t be used tagged for wheelchair use???
Come on Disboards people correct me if I’m wrong.
I am pretty sure I have seen a park stroller tagged as a wheelchair but I think you have to go back to GR everyday to get it retagged

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter