Disney with a broken elbow / cast

angelia denise

Mouseketeer
We will be in Disney in a week, and my 4, almost 5 year old broke her elbow a few days ago. She will be doing Disney in a cast. I did some research and found / ordered a drycast which is a very durable latex thing that seals over her arm. Has anyone used this before? I also found a coolcast that uses a vacuum hose to help cool the cast. Have any of you experienced Disney with a little one and a cast in June? If so, how did they handle everything, like rides, heat, rain, etc....?

My daughter broke her elbow recently and got a removable cast. It was a normal cast with a slit cut lengthwise to the wrist and tightened with Velcro straps. Although she still had to wear it all day, she could take it off briefly for bathing, scratching, or cooling. It was water resistant but not suitable for Splash Mountain or similarly wet rides.

Never had the experience of doing disney with a cast, but I've had a cast in crazy Florida weather before. I'd definitely recommend something to cool it down. The sweating will make the cast start to smell, the cast will "appear" to get tighter since heat will make her arm expand slightly. I can't think of a brand name, but they sell sprays that you can use to cool the inside of the cast-- the canister almost looks like one of those things you clean keyboards with. The dry cast bag you ordered looks great for wearing on water rides! Provides a lot of room, so it doesn't look uncomfortable in the slightest.

Since she's young, I don't think it will affect her mobility much. She'll have a sling, right? Walking around all day with her arm in that position might possibly start to hurt the affected shoulder after awhile. Would renting a carriage at the parks be an option for you? It might also help keep her cool :)

She does and will have a sling. It is black, maybe I need to check on getting a lighter color. The spray sounds good and mobile. I wonder if it is allowed in the park, might be an aerosol can? We might need a stroller, but she does pretty well without it. Thanks for the input!

She does and will have a sling. It is black, maybe I need to check on getting a lighter color.

Why not get a sling that can be written on so she can get autographs on it? And not just from characters but from Cast Members who help her on and off attractions? Take a Sharpie pen with you.

For cooling down, you might want to just take a spray bottle of water. Then she can use for her arm or for herself. She can stick it in the sling if it's small enough.

I like the autographed sling idea! I did buy a more kid friendly white based sling. We can't get the cast wet, so the spray bottle won't work. But your idea did make me think about putting some kind of cool bottle or something cool inside the sling with the cast. The spray bottle would be good for spraying on herself though!

My husband...so a little bit older haha...did WDW with a broken elbow and a big cast. He could get his wet though. He got tired faster and in crowds it did get bumped quite a lot. I would definitely recommend a stroller to try and eliminate that if you can or even just a little bit. He used a cool hair dryer to cool/dry the inside of his cast. His only real problem was the water slide at the pool, he couldn't steady himself to stay upright. After our 9 day vacation he did end up with a fungus of sorts once they removed his cast but it was easily cured. I hope you have a wonderful time!!

In addition, you might want to talk to the person who will be removing the cast. Have a line drawn on the cast where it will be cut for removal. Then bring along some "Sharpies" and have the characters autograph the cast, asking them to make sure their signature does not directly cross the line.

Once the cast is removed and fully dried out, you will then have a very unusual souvenir of the trip.

The character's signing the cast/sling sounds like a great idea! Oh, and I totally forgot. If the cast is fiberglass (basically all casts are), then you can apply ice packs to the fiberglass and it will act sort of like an "air conditioner" to cool the cast down. It's really the padding that can't get wet. The actual hard material isn't really affected by water. The ice pack is the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter