Disney Wish GTY confusion

Walterm

Earning My Ears
I booked a “Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah - Guaranteed room on Decks 8 and 9 (Category 06A).” I understand that I would be assigned a room at this category or higher. I assumed I was also guaranteed Decks 8 or 9 (our preferred decks) since it specified that in the listing. But we were assigned room 6532 which IS technically a category higher but NOT on decks 8 or 9.

I’m also a bit confused why 6532 would be a category higher than the same room on decks 8 or 9.
Anyone else run into this problem? Is there something I’m just not understanding. I’m feeling a little bit tricked here.

I don't have any insight but just wanted to say this happened to someone in our cruise group, too. She booked a specific category that it said would be on deck 9 and ended up in the same category but on deck 7. I'm not sure why they specify decks online.

ETA: I understand that they list the decks that a room category could include. In the example I mentioned, the room category could be 3 different decks but it only specified one in the listing. They were assigned a different one. Still the same category so meets the GTY rules, but why only list one of the decks when they booked?

Last edited:
The deck is just part of the category description. I am sorry that you are disappointed, but you got exactly what you booked.

The categories are first devised by number and then by letter, with A being the best subcategory, normally meaning you will be on a higher deck.

For example 11A is a tiny inside cabin, but would be never on deck 2. You could be assigned a 9B oceanview which is larger and has a porthole, but it would be on deck 2.

As far as I can tell, 06A is only these rooms in the back on 8 and 9:
1694886949755.png

05 and 05C (I think you have a C) are on 6/7 but are mid-ship, a more desired location technically. I agree they worded it poorly. It should just say at least an 06A without a floor location.

As far as I can tell, 06A is only these rooms in the back on 8 and 9:
View attachment 794394

05 and 05C (I think you have a C) are on 6/7 but are mid-ship, a more desired location technically. I agree they worded it poorly. It should just say at least an 06A without a floor location.
This is the exact answer … a higher category (05C) may be on a lower deck but better midship location than a lower category (06A) that is on a higher deck but forward/aft. The lower numbers are considered “upgrades” by DCL standards. If you want a specific deck or location, GTY is not the way to book - always choose a category that allows you to select a specific stateroom.

Thank you all for replies. i just thought when the category specifically stated decks 8 or 9 that the cabin I would be assigned would be on decks 8 or 9. I’ll take it as just a quirk…live and learn!

Thank you all for replies. i just thought when the category specifically stated decks 8 or 9 that the cabin I would be assigned would be on decks 8 or 9. I’ll take it as just a quirk…live and learn!
That’s only true if you do not get bumped up to a higher category. Most GTY bookings end up with the specific category booked, since those bookings are offered when just a few staterooms in a specific category are left, but if they ‘upgrade’ your booking, only the category is taken into account. It would be difficult to do otherwise, since what’s a preferred location will vary from one guest to another. Some prefer to be midship, whatever the deck. Others believe a higher floor is better, whatever the location on the deck.

Last edited:
This is the exact answer … a higher category (05C) may be on a lower deck but better midship location than a lower category (06A) that is on a higher deck but forward/aft. The lower numbers are considered “upgrades” by DCL standards. If you want a specific deck or location, GTY is not the way to book - always choose a category that allows you to select a specific stateroom.

This. PLUS "better" is in the eye of the cruiser. Midship is BORING for me. I like the motion that forward can provide and I like being higher. Hence I never book a category GTY. I did it once - it was whatever category the Deck 9 OV rooms like 9000, 9500, etc. are on the Dream Class. The category is only for Deck 9. They ended up assigning me one of the balcony cabins on Deck 5 - one along the side with the extended balcony. Too low for me and too midship for me. I promised myself to never again book GTY because their idea of an upgrade was a huge downgrade for me.

PLUS "better" is in the eye of the cruiser.
Very true. On our first Med cruise, we booked a specific cabin on deck 6 which is our preferred deck on the Magic - not GTY - category 5 (can't remember if A or B). We got suddenly upgraded to a family cabin category 4A on deck 8. It would generally be considered to be an upgrade because it's bigger but we didn't need the extra space, didn't like the higher deck location and found it noisy because of being under the pool deck IIRC. Our TA was so excited that we got "upgraded" I didn't have the heart to tell her we didn't really like it.

We booked a 7A GTY on our recent Wish cruise. We had booked a VGT for the Wish in January and ended up with a 7A with partially obstructed balcony on deck 7 which we actually liked. We wanted a partially obstructed balcony this last time because it adds a nice shaded area but got upgraded to a 6A on deck 6. About as far aft as you can get before you're actually at the back. In the end, we liked the location (though it was a looong walk to the elevators) because it was quiet and we didn't end up spend any time on the balcony because it was so hot so it didn't really matter.

We've booked specific rooms before and ended up getting moved to the same category but down the hall - no idea why, though probably something wrong with the room so it had to be taken out of inventory. So we've decided to book GTY or VGT in future since, although we didn't particularly care for the 4A, it wasn't bad and it's a relatively unlikely upgrade (I think the cruise we got upgraded wasn't very full and there were very few children). In general, we've never hated anywhere we've been as long as we have a balcony and it's an opportunity to try different locations. If it saves me a couple of hundred dollars because we do that, so much the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter