• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wish/Atlantis advice

Steveandkylie

Earning My Ears
Any advice on arranging Atlantis thru DCL vs buying on our own and using a cab to/from Atlantis. I heard the wrist band and waiver process can be time consuming, does DCL streamline this so that even with a later 915 start and total 6 hours we may end up with more park time? Or are we better off going early on our own? Thanks

I am wondering the same thing. I have comfort suites booked for my cruise in March. Hoping the line to get wrist bands is not too long. I saw one video showing over 45 minute wait for the band at Atlantis

If DCL streamlined the process, I would HATE to see what it was like before. Atlantis was nice, but I will never go again for a day trip from a cruise…DCL or otherwise.

Getting there took extra long because a fender bender involving our bus. Once we got there it seemed like three or four ships worth of people were in line. Doing the waivers by phone while we were in line helped some…not enough.

If I ever do Atlantis again it will be a two night stay.

Once we got there it seemed like three or four ships worth of people were in line.

Often DCL is one of the latest if not the latest morning arrivals in Nassau, so there will likely always be other ships' passengers in front of the lines no matter how streamlined the DCL group is.

(Also, since the bus is not being driven by a DCL driver, it's really not DCL's fault that there was a fender bender. That could happen with any cruise line's excursion or with any independent taxi.)

If DCL streamlined the process, I would HATE to see what it was like before. Atlantis was nice, but I will never go again for a day trip from a cruise…DCL or otherwise.

Getting there took extra long because a fender bender involving our bus. Once we got there it seemed like three or four ships worth of people were in line. Doing the waivers by phone while we were in line helped some…not enough.

If I ever do Atlantis again it will be a two night stay.
Oh wow! What a stressful journey there then. Thanks for sharing. I may still go but really temper my expectations for the number of waterslides that can be done. Maybe be happy if we do 4/8 slides? How many were you able to do? Thanks!

We’ve done it twice, once as a cruise excursion (it was cheaper for some reason) once through CS. Faster to take a taxi on your own. Get familiar with a map ahead of time.

We’ve done it twice using DCL transportation. Had a great time both times and rode as much as we wanted (March and October sail dates). We used the Atlantis iPads to sign waivers since we didn’t have cell phones with us and it was pretty fast, but there weren't many people either.

One potential warning… I brought my 75+ year-old father/mother and realized the slides were too rough for them. We had gone to Universal's Volcano Bay just before the cruise so we had that to compare to. Whereas they could do Universal's rides, Atlantis was too much. my 13 year old on the other hand loved the slides.

Often DCL is one of the latest if not the latest morning arrivals in Nassau, so there will likely always be other ships' passengers in front of the lines no matter how streamlined the DCL group is.

(Also, since the bus is not being driven by a DCL driver, it's really not DCL's fault that there was a fender bender. That could happen with any cruise line's excursion or with any independent taxi.)
Definitely not DCL’s fault for the accident. But the port traffic is just one more reason for me to never do an Atlantis excursion again.

Oh wow! What a stressful journey there then. Thanks for sharing. I may still go but really temper my expectations for the number of waterslides that can be done. Maybe be happy if we do 4/8 slides? How many were you able to do? Thanks!
We had about five hours there and did enjoy our time. The river ride is easy to get in and out of. The steep slides had twenty to forty minute lines, reasonable in my opinion, with only a couple of them closed. The area is beautiful, pools were nice, and rest areas are plentiful. The only very minor issue was the lack of towels. We were told “10 minutes” for about an hour. No big deal, sun dried us off just fine. I am not knocking Atlantis, but when I return I want it as an Atlantis vacation rather than an excursion. Honestly, the fender bender and interaction between our driver, the at fault driver, and the police was a bit entertaining in itself. I should mention, this was at the start of Junkanoo, so there was a lot more going on, and a lot more people, near the port.

Definitely not DCL’s fault for the accident. But the port traffic is just one more reason for me to never do an Atlantis excursion again.
We’ve done atlantis twice and RIU next door once, didn’t have any traffic issues, I think it’s just a 2 mile walk.

We’ve done it twice using DCL transportation. Had a great time both times and rode as much as we wanted (March and October sail dates). We used the Atlantis iPads to sign waivers since we didn’t have cell phones with us and it was pretty fast, but there weren't many people either.

One potential warning… I brought my 75+ year-old father/mother and realized the slides were too rough for them. We had gone to Universal's Volcano Bay just before the cruise so we had that to compare to. Whereas they could do Universal's rides, Atlantis was too much. my 13 year old on the other hand loved the slides.
Ok thank you! This is helpful information. We will be at Universal before the cruise. I will try to study the map as best as I can. I am not excited to hear how intense the slides are …I was hoping to stay close to my teens in the foreign country on our own not through Disney excursion. I will have to find out where the slides end and meet them at the slide exit which seems tough as most go to a not so lazy river. We will be there the week before Easter so I imagine it will be crazy crowded. I will see if I can sign a paper waiver at home before the cruise…maybe they would accept it.

We have done this a couple of times, but booked a room in Coral (Free on Marriott points). I never found the line to be long for check in. Not sure about the day pass area though. If you have Marriott points, check it out!

I am the original poster here, we did do it thru DCL and it worked out well. Signing wavers on phone on bud helped and upon arrival at Atlantis it wasn’t too chaotic. We found chairs and hit water slides right as it opened at 10am. The main thing I would do different is to arrive much earlier to the on ship meeting point (theater) so we could get on one of the first busses. We were probably the 5th group called but it did work out. The other positive was we had the option to depart I think at 3 or 4 irrespective of what arrival time you were given. All that said if you get a real early start, bypass queuing in the theater and just cab in I think that would also be a good option.

I am the original poster here, we did do it thru DCL and it worked out well. Signing wavers on phone on bud helped and upon arrival at Atlantis it wasn’t too chaotic. We found chairs and hit water slides right as it opened at 10am. The main thing I would do different is to arrive much earlier to the on ship meeting point (theater) so we could get on one of the first busses. We were probably the 5th group called but it did work out. The other positive was we had the option to depart I think at 3 or 4 irrespective of what arrival time you were given. All that said if you get a real early start, bypass queuing in the theater and just cab in I think that would also be a good option.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is 40% cheaper for four family members to get the wrist band through comfort suites so I think I will still go that route. ($573 versus $1,000). I will try to get off ship early and hunt for a can to take us to comfort suites. Glad to hear you were able to find chairs. Hopefully you found it overall enjoyable and worth the work and cost.

Do they have medium ones at all?

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is 40% cheaper for four family members to get the wrist band through comfort suites so I think I will still go that route. ($573 versus $1,000). I will try to get off ship early and hunt for a can to take us to comfort suites. Glad to hear you were able to find chairs. Hopefully you found it overall enjoyable and worth the work and cost.
Lol you won’t have to hunt for a cab, they will be lined up and very eager for passengers.

Ok thank you! This is helpful information. We will be at Universal before the cruise. I will try to study the map as best as I can. I am not excited to hear how intense the slides are …I was hoping to stay close to my teens in the foreign country on our own not through Disney excursion. I will have to find out where the slides end and meet them at the slide exit which seems tough as most go to a not so lazy river. We will be there the week before Easter so I imagine it will be crazy crowded. I will see if I can sign a paper waiver at home before the cruise…maybe they would accept it.
While the Bahamas is a foreign country, Atlantis resort does have controlled access. I would feel safe allowing teenagers to move about the water park area. Of course, you have to go with your gut feelings in every situation. If you would allow them to move about a Disney property, this should feel comparable. Hope you have a great visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter