Disney Whirlwind

Simon Croucher

Earning My Ears
we came for the first time a couple of years ago from the U.K. And it felt like a whirlwind couple of weeks trying to fit everything in, this year we are going for early mornings, have a break then late evenings in the parks, hopefully a bit more relaxed, has anybody had any luck with this kind of strategy

we came for the first time a couple of years ago from the U.K. And it felt like a whirlwind couple of weeks trying to fit everything in, this year we are going for early mornings, have a break then late evenings in the parks, hopefully a bit more relaxed, has anybody had any luck with this kind of strategy

Very common technique.

When I think back at my park memories, the ones that stand out are when we're doing very little, honestly. I don't have fond memories of rushing from thing to thing - rather, the times and images that come to mind are when we're just kind of lounging around.

One caution, if you're coming in the next couple months - it is whirlwind season in FL.

We usually leave the parks sometime after lunch and head back to the resort. Sometimes to rest, other times to use the pool or play cards, etc. WE do head back out later on after showers for dinner, which may or may not be in a park. We do not rush, whether we plan park days or park evenings, it just is not fun for us.

I don't think you can get it all in, no matter how you plan, so we don't try. We figure out what we really want to do, and the rest is a bonus.

I'm guessing you're not looking to fit it all in this trip? Sometimes the time of year matters too. I tend to feel more relaxed when it's cooler. We take our time more. When it's hot I feel like we tend to rush to stay out of the sun, and the we rush to get to the pool and then rush to get back to the parks. For me going back to the hotel can make this less relaxing although now that my kids are getting older that part IS getting easier. Enjoy!

I rememebr planning our trip to take our little DGD. My daughter was the only one who had been back since that family trip when my kids were young. Oh my gosh, I spent all day every day it seemed planning. How to get everything in, and the order in which to do so. One day DD said, "Mom, you know that what you want to do is impossible, right?" I was not deterred...I could make it happen! Then my DH came home and dropped his bombshell. What was my back up plan? What back up plan? WE're going to Disney!!! He wanted to knwo what I planned JIC our 4 YO DGD did not follow my playbook...what if she was overwhelmed inteh parks, was afraid of characters, and what if she only wnated to swim? He told me I Was placing an enormous responsibility on the shoulders af a little girl, and that his coworker had done the same thing, except he got mad when his little one just wanted the pool. SHe was afraid of the parks and everything in them. OMG! He was right.

I tossed out the massive spreadsheet, revisited that silliness I had of crisscrossing all over the World to maximize a dining plan plan that had nothing to do with our preferences, but was based on prices, and started over. WE bumped up our stay to CL so if we never even left the resort, we were covered, changed our dining plans to restaurants that I knew we would enjoy, and we never looked back. My DGD will be 16 in October and for us, her likes and preferences still matter greatly on a DIsney trip, although she was never afraid or overwhelmed! LOL!

I was not deterred...I could make it happen! Then my DH came home and dropped his bombshell. What was my back up plan? What back up plan? WE're going to Disney!!!

Fwiw I'm sure you would have adapted even without daughter and husband being like that. You would have seen your family suffering and all of your planning would have kicked in and you likely would have modified it beautifully.

When I think back at my park memories, the ones that stand out are when we're doing very little, honestly. I don't have fond memories of rushing from thing to thing - rather, the times and images that come to mind are when we're just kind of lounging around.

One caution, if you're coming in the next couple months - it is whirlwind season in FL.
Good to know, we coming in November so hopefully the weather will be a bit more settled

I rememebr planning our trip to take our little DGD. My daughter was the only one who had been back since that family trip when my kids were young. Oh my gosh, I spent all day every day it seemed planning. How to get everything in, and the order in which to do so. One day DD said, "Mom, you know that what you want to do is impossible, right?" I was not deterred...I could make it happen! Then my DH came home and dropped his bombshell. What was my back up plan? What back up plan? WE're going to Disney!!! He wanted to knwo what I planned JIC our 4 YO DGD did not follow my playbook...what if she was overwhelmed inteh parks, was afraid of characters, and what if she only wnated to swim? He told me I Was placing an enormous responsibility on the shoulders af a little girl, and that his coworker had done the same thing, except he got mad when his little one just wanted the pool. SHe was afraid of the parks and everything in them. OMG! He was right.

I tossed out the massive spreadsheet, revisited that silliness I had of crisscrossing all over the World to maximize a dining plan plan that had nothing to do with our preferences, but was based on prices, and started over. WE bumped up our stay to CL so if we never even left the resort, we were covered, changed our dining plans to restaurants that I knew we would enjoy, and we never looked back. My DGD will be 16 in October and for us, her likes and preferences still matter greatly on a DIsney trip, although she was never afraid or overwhelmed! LOL!
Lol, We have spread sheets and many restaurants booked, maybe a cut back on the planning and a bit more go with the flow attitude is needed, thanks

We have toured that way since my kids were babies and they are 16 and 18 now. That works for us. We can only happily tolerate 4-5 hours straight in the parks before needing a break. That approach keeps everyone more relaxed and happier.

Lol, We have spread sheets and many restaurants booked, maybe a cut back on the planning and a bit more go with the flow attitude is needed, thanks

Oh I still plan, mostly park days and restaurants, and if we are heading into the parks early, or later on so we can stay til close. We also plan FP and which direction we will head in the MK when we get there.

My family is going to Aruba this year, and I am lost! No planning left! [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter