Disney Water Parks and thunderstorms temp. pool closures

tofubeast

DIS Veteran
A few years ago, we visited Blizzard Beach around noon or so. By the time we settled in and waited on a queue, we got to enjoy one slide before the alarm went off about thunder in the area. This had happened before at Typhoon Lagoon in the past, and within 45 mins or so, everything reopened. However, on this particular day, it went on for hours. We filled the time by eating lunch, hoping things would reopen. It was pouring buckets as well. We finally decided to leave after a few hours had passed. ( I live in FL, so I am used to these storms. Usually, they do pass quickly, but this was not the case that day.)

I regret not going to guest services to see if they'd issue us a new pass to use during that vacation stay. I didn't know if they'd do it.

I am wondering what's the policy should this happen again (and there are significant storms that come up and long delays with unknowns if pools will reopen)?

If it happens again, I would recommend stopping at guest services. In the past, if the pools had to be evacuated within 'x' hours of park opening they would issue tickets that could be used another day. I don't know how much time after park opening they honor this or, if there is an expiration date on the tickets.

We 'rode out a storm' once (lasted about 3 hours) but in the end it was perfect as we practically had the place to ourselves once everything reopened! That being said, next time if we had 1 day tickets we would visit guest services when everything first closes as these closures can last a long time.

If it happens again, I would recommend stopping at guest services. In the past, if the pools had to be evacuated within 'x' hours of park opening they would issue tickets that could be used another day. I don't know how much time after park opening they honor this or, if there is an expiration date on the tickets.

We 'rode out a storm' once (lasted about 3 hours) but in the end it was perfect as we practically had the place to ourselves once everything reopened! That being said, next time if we had 1 day tickets we would visit guest services when everything first closes as these closures can last a long time.

Thanks. If this happens again, I will visit GS. I appreciate your response.

This happened to us once - we had only been there a short time when everything shut down for a storm. We tried waiting it out (the kids had fun playing under a pavilion with a couple of CMs), but finally gave up. We stopped at guest services & they could see that our tickets were scanned for entry just a short while before the storm hit, and they gave us one-day comp tickets. We ended up not using them that trip, but saved them & used them on a later trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter