Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably be the last year we stay in a 2 bedroom. You have a few options; borrowing like some others have suggested, go less days, stay at a resort where points cost are less, use smaller accommodations or add-on. We will probably use a combination of all of these with the exception of add-on for the foreseeable future!;)

Another option is to spend a little bit on a transfer. For example, if you are 10 points short, you could try to arrange a transfer of 100 points from another member. Use those points in your next vacation and bank your own points into the next year. As long as you pay attention to how your trips are booked and always use your banked points first, you should be able to cover 10 years of the points difference. Definitely a lot cheaper than adding on!

Another option is to spend a little bit on a transfer. For example, if you are 10 points short, you could try to arrange a transfer of 100 points from another member. Use those points in your next vacation and bank your own points into the next year. As long as you pay attention to how your trips are booked and always use your banked points first, you should be able to cover 10 years of the points difference. Definitely a lot cheaper than adding on!

Yes but this is still an added expense of $1000 - $1100 just to keep doing what you would normally do. It is chaeper than adding on and is a good strategy, but it is still hard to justify. Not much value in paying $1000 for the status quo.

Have read through a good portion of this thread and its easy to see that this is a very hotly contested issue. I am currently waiting for Disney to make a decision on ROFR on the resale we are trying to secure at BWV, so while I am not currently a member I hope to be soon, and I consider myself VERY well informed with all the due diligence I have done prior to making our current offer.

With my wife and I living in South Florida, we will literally take EVERY Disney trip on long weekends (typically Thursday night through checkout on Sunday, with some Fri-Sun trips thrown in as well). Obviously, the new point changes really work out in our favor, and will provide us with 1-2 extra nights per year depending on the season we travel (we will use the studios almost exclusively, as it is just her and I). While I can understand some DVC members being upset that they can no longer get quite such a large benefit from travelling on weekdays, the reality of the situation is that it still requires MUCH more points to stay on weekends (as it should). The gap is just not QUITE as large as it used to be. IMO Disney is just trying to correct what had been an unnecessarily large favortism shown to weekday DVC guests. And I for one am very glad that they are doing so.

Have read through a good portion of this thread and its easy to see that this is a very hotly contested issue. I am currently waiting for Disney to make a decision on ROFR on the resale we are trying to secure at BWV, so while I am not currently a member I hope to be soon, and I consider myself VERY well informed with all the due diligence I have done prior to making our current offer.

With my wife and I living in South Florida, we will literally take EVERY Disney trip on long weekends (typically Thursday night through checkout on Sunday, with some Fri-Sun trips thrown in as well). Obviously, the new point changes really work out in our favor, and will provide us with 1-2 extra nights per year depending on the season we travel (we will use the studios almost exclusively, as it is just her and I). While I can understand some DVC members being upset that they can no longer get quite such a large benefit from travelling on weekdays, the reality of the situation is that it still requires MUCH more points to stay on weekends (as it should). The gap is just not QUITE as large as it used to be. IMO Disney is just trying to correct what had been an unnecessarily large favortism shown to weekday DVC guests. And I for one am very glad that they are doing so.
As someone who has never stayed on a weekend night, I agree changes were in order. I still think weekends may be too expensive.

The key is that weekdays and weekends ought to book up at roughly the same speed. If the weekends are consistantly remaining unbooked, then the weekends are too expensive, even at these new levels. The points should be repeatedly adjusted, if needed, until an equilibrium is reached.

Who knows, perhaps they have it right this time.

The points should be repeatedly adjusted, if needed, until an equilibrium is reached.

Who knows, perhaps they have it right this time.

Wouldn't that be nice!!! I just just hope that if/when they make changes in the future there is much better communication and in a very timely manner. This would be TERRIBLE for people who don't get DVC info. online! But, that's been said over and over already.

Anybody else feel like this thread is just going in circles at this point? :upsidedow

Wouldn't that be nice!!! I just just hope that if/when they make changes in the future there is much better communication and in a very timely manner. This would be TERRIBLE for people who don't get DVC info. online! But, that's been said over and over already.

Anybody else feel like this thread is just going in circles at this point? :upsidedow
There's no way for them to win in this situation. The more notice and fanfare, the more time for and numbers of complaints about it from those who don't like it. Our HMO membership on average is almost certainly at an education and technology level that's below the average for DVC members and 97% of our membership has access to the internet in one form or another, per their own description. So I don't think lack of access to the info is truly an issue large enough to be a driving force in any decisions. Actually I'd suspect they'll stop doing the planners fairly soon (2-4 yrs) other than something for new members and those that specifically ask for them.

Yes but this is still an added expense of $1000 - $1100 just to keep doing what you would normally do. It is chaeper than adding on and is a good strategy, but it is still hard to justify. Not much value in paying $1000 for the status quo.

Or you can alter your travel patterns to travel at different times of the year, use smaller accommodations or stay for fewer nights - your call. I would say there is a value in paying the smallest amount possible to maintain the status quo if the status quo is important to you. The 100 points was a bookmark - you could certainly transfer in smaller amounts to cover fewer years and see if your travel patterns change naturally over time in a way that eliminates the need for more points.

But that cost would be spread out over multiple years for most situations. In some cases it is an increase in costs but so would be an increase in dues, special assessment or initiation of any number of fees including cancelation, multiple reservations, banking, borrowing, etc. All of which would likely be as or more expensive to most members over time. Certainly this change alters the playing field for many of us and there will be those where DVC will no longer make sense for them. Such is the case with any change of substance and as it should be, IMO. The truth is that DVC was too cheap for a 5 day stay avoiding weekends and still may be so to a degree, it was good while it lasted.

Anyone else shocked this is at 176 pages!
Yes and no. But hey, it's been one of the better and more interesting threads in the last year. Last years was the one on the full week reservation change and it was pretty long as well.

This could be the very first DVC thread to reach the 250 page limit when it would have to be closed, and a new continuation thread developed.

That would be something! How many out there think it really will get that big??? My guess is it won't, but I haven't been on this board that long...

That would be something! How many out there think it really will get that big??? My guess is it won't, but I haven't been on this board that long...
Not unless there are new developments like a new reallocation for 2011 or 2012. Well maybe it will get there after all as I give it about a 20% change for some change in the allocation over the next 2-4 years.

Not unless there are new developments like a new reallocation for 2011 or 2012. Well maybe it will get there after all as I give it about a 20% change for some change in the allocation over the next 2-4 years.

But wouldn't that likely be cause to spawn a separate "201x Point Charts" thread? :rotfl:

Not if we are dedicated to pushing it to the limits.

We need to start making controversial comments to get people into an ire and make the thread bigger ;-)

Oh boy! Well, I'll keep replying every so often within reason. The big question- will the mods let us ramble the thread to the max. length if we've run out of things to say???????????? :3dglasses

But wouldn't that likely be cause to spawn a separate "201x Point Charts" thread? :rotfl:
Maybe, maybe not. Possibly we could change the name now and start discussing the next reallocation. Likely more of the same with about a 10% (roughly) change from weekdays to weekends this time.

This could be the very first DVC thread to reach the 250 page limit when it would have to be closed, and a new continuation thread developed.

Not if we are dedicated to pushing it to the limits.

We need to start making controversial comments to get people into an ire and make the thread bigger ;-)

Oh boy! Well, I'll keep replying every so often within reason. The big question- will the mods let us ramble the thread to the max. length if we've run out of things to say???????????? :3dglasses

Maybe, maybe not. Possibly we could change the name now and start discussing the next reallocation. Likely more of the same with about a 10% (roughly) change from weekdays to weekends this time.

I vote for just changing the name of this thread and then everyone can just reread what they've already posted. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter