• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Transportation - Use it or Lose it?

I hear a lot of good things about the buses but we have rented a car ever since a kid peed (yes true story) on my dad a few years ago.

One of those topics that defines the word subjective. In my opinion we like and use Disney transportation because I preferrer not to drive while on vacations and we enjoy the monorail and boats(usually), the buses are “meh" but still better than a tram and a hot car.

We typically drive to WDW, park the car and forget about it! While I agree with everyone who says driving is mostly the quickest way around (with MK the exception), DH and I find WDW transportation to be part of the experience. We live in the country and we drive EVERYWHERE! Public transportation is a novelty for our kids and DH likes not having to find a parking space, remember where it is etc... We even pay to have a taxi take us to the other resorts if we are going out to dinner (Ok, I will admit that is so we can both enjoy an adult beverage!)

Our luck has been fairly good when it comes to busses and the only times we have had to stand were after fireworks at MK and EP and that certainly seems reasonable and expected.

With a 1 year old I would make sure you can fold and manipulate any stroller you bring along quickly and easily. That was always DH's department and he admits he's glad those days are behind us (DD is 10 and DS is 8)

I definitely love Disney transportation. I don't want to worry about a rental car or the keys or finding my way around or parking. I like to leave that to someone else during my stay. Plus, getting into an air conditioned bus for the ride was always nice since it was brutally hot. We had a great experience with ME. Checked in, got on our bus, and pulled away from the curb minutes later (this was mid-August on our last trip). Our bags showed up within the three hour window (but we had packed swimsuits, change of clothes, and essentials in carryons just in case). And we had very few problems with park buses on our last trip. Two mornings we had an extended wait but I always allot extra time. Also, no one has to worry about being the designated driver if you are on the bus. If you are traveling with just one other person this makes a big difference. Drinking alone can be sad!

We always rent a car. We make a Publix stop each trip, we usually try to run by the Disney Store at the outlet mall, and for one reason or another we usually have to make a visit to Walgreens during our trips. While we're on property, we just prefer having our own vehicle because it's one less line to stand in, and everyone has a seat while en route to the next destination. There certainly are upsides to using Disney transportation, it's just a personal preference for us.

We've done both.... rented a vehicle about half a dozen times and used Disney Transport for the rest.

It's definitely mixed... Yes, it's nice drive to the resorts for dinner vs going from your resort...to a park...to the resort for dinner or whatever. However, the walking in addition to walking the parks definitely adds to your fatigue.

Plus, it's nice to just sit back and not drive for a week and let someone else handle it.

Definitely has their pros and cons!

Driving to the parks is not my cup of tea. Disney makes it easier by having trams, but then you're waiting for a tram 0.5 mi from the park gate just like you'd wait for a bus/boat/rail

It's also nice to have a car to goto Walmart or Publix for your groceries, or go somewhere offsite if you're so inclined.

We've used DME many times on past visits. One word of warning however, this past time I let them collect our bags for us (we had ALWAYS got them ourselves) and they took forever to arrive at the hotel. We hadn't packed swimwear in our carry-on bag for arrival and checked into the hotel later, around 6pm with no intention of heading to the parks until the next day. The kids just wanted to swim before we went to sleep. I don't recall what the official delivery time listed on the website is for your bags to arrive....i believe it says approx 3 hrs. Needless to say it was more like 5 or 6 hrs until the bags arrived at the hotel. And we had them call when they arrived at the hotel and went to the lobby to retrieve them ourselves otherwise, it would have been another 2 hrs for them to get delivered to us at our room. So, while I've always loved the ME bus, we decided we'd NEVER have them deliver our luggage again. My kids said "this isn't very magical, we just wanted to swim". I realize it is a helpful service for some but we should not have used it. The pool was closed by the time we finally got our bags and we missed dinner bc we were waiting in the room hoping our suitcases would arrive soon. Just putting in my 2 cents in case it helps avoid someone's else's disappointment.:sad:
Does the DME let you grab your own luggage? I thought them delivering it later was the only choice.

We find Disney Transportation more a convenience than a time saver. Wait times vary. Someone on these boards could provide more info if you listed your resort, perhaps.
We are planning on AKV hopefully for the entire trip, but now our res has 2 nights at SS. So we are buses either way.

We always fly, so we use Disney Transportation. We have usually had good luck with it and enjoy not having to drive ourselves. We tend to stay at resorts that only have one pick up area (POFQ, POP) which we like.

I would definitely vote 'yes' to the DME. We love getting off the plane and on to a bus without having to worry about collecting and carrying our checked luggage. Then, it magically pixiedust: appears in our room:cutie:. Also, your 1 year old might like to watch the tv on the DME bus on the way to your resort.
Did not know they had TVs. Very nice!

We love using Disney transportation. I've never rented a car, I love the idea of being carless and not having to worry about finding a parking spot, driving, or traffic. We've had to wait for buses or monorails but its not a huge inconvenience.

I like DME express going to the hotel. It take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours going to the hotel. I already used twice and when I go down in November again. Only on the way back I use the limo service on the bottom of the website. They are great. Why you ask because I like to spend more time a Disney and I allow 1 to 2 hours going back to the airport where as Disney wants 3 hours. How much groceries do you need when you need the food plan. The limo service going to the hotel if you request in advance will do a 30 minute stop at Publix grocery store. Or you can do what my son in law does do a taxi run to the nearest gas station to but beer.(or anything else you want)

We were there in September last year and stated at AOA. We really weren't in a rush to get anywhere and enjoyed not having to deal with a car on vacation. We had no issues with the Disney buses. Lines weren't horrible and it wasn't very crowded. If we were on a tight schedule, I would probably feel different. But for our carefree vacation, it worked out really well.

We take our car in the morning go back to our resort for a break and will usually take the bus back to the afternoon/evening park. The only exception is that we will just about always take Disney transportation to MK, it's just easier than parking at the TTC and then making our way to MK.

We always exclusively use Disney Transportation. I don't want to have to worry about renting a vehicle or trying to find my way around. I just want to sit my butt down on a bus, boat, or monorail and let Disney do it for me!

Does the DME let you grab your own luggage? I thought them delivering it later was the only choice.

Yes they do let you grab your own luggage, you have the choice of getting it yourself or letting them take care of it and deliver it for you. I haven't done it, our suitcases are too heavy to lug around for us, lol, but I think you just don't put the ME luggage tags on the bags. Then go to baggage, grab your own bags, and take them to the ME with you. They will load them under the bus for you, and when you get to your resort they'll get them out for you, and you're all set!

We like the whole thing, starting with ME and using buses to get around, for our transportation while at Disney. We've had good luck/experiences over our many trips, for the most part. Nothing that would make us stop using the buses or ME. Plus, there's no way I wanna try to figure out how to get from one place to another! That'd be much, much more stressful and I'd probably end up lost somewhere, lol. I'm happy to leave the driving to them!

Last few trips we have used the following rules. We use WDW trans when we go to MK...and that is about it. Unless the kids want to ride the bus. We find is far easier and faster to use the rental car and be guaranteed the ability to come and go as we want. yes, we sometimes have to wait for a tram, or have a longer walk, but we are still able to chug along on foot at a good pace so for the foreseen future that is our choice. It is extremely nice to leave EP or HS at the end of the night and not have to think about waiting at the bus stop to get a chance to stand on a bus going back to our resort.

I think it may depend on where you're staying.

Years ago I stayed at Old Key West without a car. It seemed like that entire visit I just spent so much time waiting for buses! I decided after that I wouldn't visit WDW again without a car.

A couple years ago I was visiting for 10 days, staying at All Star Movies, and thought that since I had so many days anyway, spending some time waiting for buses wouldn't be that bad. So I didn't rent a car. Well I was very pleasantly surprised at the bus transportation! It seemed like whenever I showed up at a bus stop the bus I needed was there within 10 minutes or less.

So, I think if I were staying at a really spread out resort, like Old Key West or most of the moderates, I might rent a car. Staying at a resort with only one bus stop I think I wouldn't need one. But it is still nice to have a car for resort-to-resort transportation or to go offsite for a meal (Bob Evans!) or shopping at real world prices. Not sure what I'll do this next trip.

I've done it both ways, and for us it was absolutely a rental car for the win. We've used a rental while staying at POP, WL, CR, POFQ and BC, and the only resort the buses were maybe nearly as convenient as a car was POFQ. And technically, that was probably only psychologically, bc our room was so close to the bus stop and we almost always got a seat thanks to it being the first stop. We still had to go around that POR loop to the parks.

Even with a car, we sometimes use Disney transport. Almost always to MK, sometimes for.the experience (boats or monorail, for instance), others just a "why not, let's see what happens". I must have terrible luck, bc by the time a bus arrives to where I need to go, I could already have been in the parking lot of the park I'm headed to if not at the park gate. We've never been during really busy times (usually late April or early May), but we've often we've parked close enough to walk to the gate. And when we've used a tram, one has always been right there (though I keep hitting my head on it b/c I'm just that person). We always take afternoon breaks, and frankly I would go nuts doing the bus four times a day. I do enough hurry up and wait + crowds in the parks. There's a reason they tell you to allow an hour for travel to get to an ADR or rope drop. I prefer to sleep in or have a little extra time to do what I want versus waiting for a bus.

A final plus: we've gotten sick twice at WDW. Having a car was invaluable for that. Once, at POP, the noise bleed from our noisy neighbors was so loud we were exhausted from lack of sleep. We drove to Target and bought a fan for white noise. We always stop on our way from the airport to get groceries. We leave for the airport *not* three hours in advance, and despite usually have a 1-2 pm flight out, still have time to either do some souvenir shopping at DTD or drive to a breakfast at Kona. All without luggage bc they offer resort airport check in for outbound.

That being said, this trip we are going without a rental car bc we are on the monorail and DH doesn't want to spend the money on a rental. I suspect once he realizes the effect of the ongoing issues with the monorail, he'll seriously regret that choice as he dislikes the buses more than I do.

I'm also interested, though, to see how different things are with the bus arrival screens in effect. Though that picture from a PP made me shake my head. Thirty minutes for an Epcot bus? That's crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter