Disney to trial new allergy menus

Thanks for posting.
I had seen it on Facebook and was going to post it, but you beat me to it.:thumbsup2

That would be nice. Sometimes I can avoid the allergens on my own as long as I know basic ingredients and then just order around it, I don't really need a chef for that.

I think it's a great idea. With so many people having allergies, or wanting to avoid certain ingredients, it had to be incredibly time consuming for the chefs to deal with each one.

Having an allergy menu should make it possible to "sift out", for lack of a better term, the majority of the people that currently need to speak to a chef due to allergies.

Sounds like a great idea for those with one or two top ten allergies! Anything that reduces the load on the chefs while keeping allergic guests safe is a win in my books.

That's a great idea! I hope it works and they offer it at more places. We haven't been yet with an allergy but I've already prepared my husband for the extra wait time (he's the one with the allergy and can be impatient).

Has anyone tried this out yet? I think this would have been helpful for me our June trip to WDW. I have a fish/shellfish allergy and I always had plenty of choices, I just need to know if anything had hidden fish. Once I knew that, I could avoid the fish dishes, and the kitchen staff would need to know to keep my food away from the seafood. I don't need a chef to take the time to come out to me if I have a menu of safe items to order. That would free up the chef to talk to guests with more complicated allergies.
Going to DLR next July so I hope they will have expanded it by then. I really liked the way it worked at BOG for lunch. I had my safe menu to order from, then they brought my food out separately with my allergy stick. :)

I'm the OP. I posted this and then my computer died. Finally got it fixed today.

Should be interesting.
I will be eating at Flying Fish and Brown Derby Oct.12 and 13.
I will post how it went.

Thanks, I was hoping that people will post their experiences with the new menus. Maybe some pictures?

Menus will trial Sept 9-Oct 20 at:
Flying Fish (Boardwalk)
ABC Commissary, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Hollywood Brown Derby (DHS)
Kona Cafe, Captain Cook's (Poly)
World Premier Food Court (All Star Movies)

I will not be there until the 26th so I'm kind of hoping they will extend it. I will be eating at the HBD on the 29th.

I am hoping this works out. Even with my son having a nice sized list, it would be awesome if at some meals we could just ask for the allergy tenders instead of waiting 15 minutes for a chef to ask for them.

On the flip side, I'm also hoping it doesn't turn into needing to demand or ask several times to see a chef if he doesn't want allergy tenders for every single meal. Other than the waffle/pancake mixes I think they are the only specialty food that none of his allergens veto so we often have to order the normal item with some modification and the chefs often "forget" unusual allergens if you don't specifically remind them when they mention what they will bring out.

These trial menus were mentioned by GinnyBear's_mom in her excellent thread "9 Days of Gluten & Dairy Free Dining".

Did anyone else visit the trial restaurants and see the menus? Any info or opinions?

We were at WDW Oct. 13-25, but didn't eat at any of the trial restaurants.

My only concern with this is that CM may not realize how serious it is to change their gloves or to use a clean spoon.

When the manager came out or the chef spoke to me, I knew that someone "in charge" knew the issues.

Now, I wonder how that will be communicated to the person making my food. :confused3

I ate at captain cooks and ordered my GF meal from the CM and no one came out to talk to me, a CM made my food in the back, then it was wrong, badly cooed, and tasted bad. cM also put it in the same area as other foods being made when he tried to correct errors.

I didn't feel as safe.

I ate at captain cooks and ordered my GF meal from the CM and no one came out to talk to me, a CM made my food in the back, then it was wrong, badly cooed, and tasted bad. cM also put it in the same area as other foods being made when he tried to correct errors.

I didn't feel as safe.

Once it had to be sent back, why does it matter if it was next to other food?

I'm the OP. I posted this and then my computer died. Finally got it fixed today.

Thanks, I was hoping that people will post their experiences with the new menus. Maybe some pictures?

Menus will trial Sept 9-Oct 20 at:
Flying Fish (Boardwalk)
ABC Commissary, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Hollywood Brown Derby (DHS)
Kona Cafe, Captain Cook's (Poly)
World Premier Food Court (All Star Movies)

Here are some photos from my recent trip Oct 12-16 and some menus.
Even though there were menus, I was still offered to have the chef come out and speak to me. I declined at Flying Fish for dinner, but he did come out and speak to me for breakfast. I also said I didn't need to speak to him at Nacrossee, but he came out anyway, just to ask if I had any questions. Nice touch.

Old Bay Scented calamari and rock shrimp

Potato wrapped Red Snapper

Brown Derby Fantasmic Dinner Package menu

Appetizer sized Cobb Salad

Herb crusted loin of lamb

Had to take a picture of this, it's suppose to be my fingerling potatoes, can you count them? I think there were 2 tiny ones, each cut in half.
This was our most disappointing meal of the trip.
The service was bad, the food, mediocre. You can't really tell, but the lamb, ordered medium rare, was at least medium well. I know, I know, I should have sent it back, but I was starving.

This was the only thing that saved the meal--there were suppose to be 5 things I could pick from, but one was not available. I'm not even sure now, what they were-- a mange crème caramel, I think is the middle one.....sorry. All were excellent though!

Will post some more tomorrow.

More:

Always lot of choices at Boma for me. We had eaten here in March too.
The Chef walked me through the options, and told me he could bring out some GF Zebra Domes from the back for me.
When I got back to the table from the first trip, this plate of GF crackers, and bread with a hummus dip was waiting for me......nice touch.

Other choices ............always love the soups, there were 3 of 5 I could eat.

And, as promised........

Sadly, I only had room to eat one!!

Captain's Grill breakfast buffet.
The Chef came out, and walked me through what I could have, he offered to bring me GF Mickey Waffles, French toast, hash browns and a Baby Cake donut if I wanted.
I opted for the Mickey Waffles, hash browns, and for sure, a donut!!

Sadly, the waffles, were awful:sad1: They has a weird taste and texture, the first ones I tried were kind of raw in the middle. The hash browns were gross:scared: not really cooked, and floating in oil. The donut was fantastic;)

The awful stuff aside, I really had lots to eat and choose from, I thought it was a really good deal for the buffet, (Disney prices), and would go back.

Will post more.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter