Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you booked a throwaway room and you lost the very advantage doing that got you, it’s no big deal to cancel it which is what I’m sure a lot of people did.

And we can’t have the argument both ways- The change hasn’t increased availability because May is slow but then argue that campsite availability on May proves that not that many people use throwaway rooms.

People who book throwaway rooms still get an advantage for the 2 days they get the reservation for. I can see a lot of people still doing that in the throwaway room thread and even booking every-other day throwaways for the FP+ advantage. (For the record, I am not against a throwaway room.)

And pointing out the campsite availability was for the throwaway room argument that "people are abusing the system" which is why the policy changed, and also the idea that resorts are packed right now for May, and the idea that the loophole close was the reason for lots of FP+ availability in May. May is slower, which is why we usually go every May.

When I checked a month ago there was the same availability in May for the campsites. I posted about it on this thread on February 3, way before people booking a reservation for FP+ with the intent to dump it got any sort of notice and before the general public who might have been doing it heard about the upcoming change. I posted last month that there are 200 basic campsites and if the throwaway room/campsite (even those who booked with the intent to dump the reservation) was so widely practiced, why was there so much availability three months prior to a May trip, when most people have their plans set? Now there's the same availability and it's after the policy change.

I don't think the change was only to crack down on throwaways and "fast pass and dash" practices, but for the Disney Dollar, new hotels with benefits and upcoming SWGE. If there's more FP+ availability it doesn't seem to be from campsite throwaways, but from the resort split stays that people are having trouble with.

I don't think the change was only to crack down on throwaways and "fast pass and dash" practices, but for the Disney Dollar, new hotels with benefits and upcoming SWGE. If there's more FP+ availability it doesn't seem to be from campsite throwaways, but from the resort split stays that people are having trouble with.

Honestly, I don’t why they did it and I’m all for them making as much money as they can. The more profitable they are, the more they’ll do to improve and grow. I’m just glad they did it. I’m also glad availability is wide open for my time frame. I got what I wanted, when I wanted it and I didn’t have to jack the system around to do it.

Last edited:
I also think that Disney is looking into monetizing FPs for SWGE. And based on the stuff happening on MDE, I am going to venture a guess on *how* they are going to monetize this. Instead of paying for specific FPs or 3 additional FPs like the Club program, I think they are simply going to have people pay to have their FPs windows open early. This is why the split stay advantage had to go away. This is why some people are currently able to book FPs before 60 days. They are testing some things behind the scenes that have to do with windows opening early. This is also why they have added new hotels at 60 days. They want to increase the pool of potential buyers of the early booking window. All speculation of course.

As someone who just booked I also think abundance is maybe overstating the increase in FP availability.

My window opened last Sunday and I can still book every day but one for FOP. SDD is at 60+2 and SDMT is at 30+1. That’s my definition of abundance:

upload_2019-3-6_16-58-50.jpeg

I also think that Disney is looking into monetizing FPs for SWGE. And based on the stuff happening on MDE, I am going to venture a guess on *how* they are going to monetize this. Instead of paying for specific FPs or 3 additional FPs like the Club program, I think they are simply going to have people pay to have their FPs windows open early. This is why the split stay advantage had to go away. This is why some people are currently able to book FPs before 60 days. They are testing some things behind the scenes that have to do with windows opening early. This is also why they have added new hotels at 60 days. They want to increase the pool of potential buyers of the early booking window. All speculation of course.

That's a very interesting thought. That could very well be. I have been wondering why they didn't slam the 74 day glitch shut as soon as they realized it was happening. It seems like that would be a very easy update (even with required regression testing) and it's been open for over a week. I have thought in the past (for example SDFP) that Disney lets strategists do what they do because they use them to collect data on how people use the system and look for future holes with how they expect to change the system (I don't think Disney IT is as completely and totally incompetent as they seem sometimes). This would definitely fit that model. And possibly explain some of the glitchiness to the glitch.

Last edited:

You really might be on to something there.

The reports of availability

Very smart! I think you are correct! Now who has guesses at the cost of the early fastpass option?

Definitely possible, but I feel like for it to be "marketable," there'd still need to be a way to get around tiers, I would think. Most of the indirect ways FPs are monetized (Club Level FPs, early morning and after hours events) seem to help people avoid the tiers. But maybe there will be multiple ways for people to pay, so to speak...

ETA: Maybe costs extra to avoid tiers?

I keep seeing that they have added new hotels for the 60 day FP+. Which ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing that they have added jew hotels for the 60 day FP+. Which ones?

@mshanson3121 Hilton Bonnet Creek and the Waldorf Astoria.

Although I haven't seen official confirmation anywhere of the 60 day fastpass window. The Hilton Website still says 30 days.

https://www.hiltonbonnetcreek.com/activities/disney

EDIT: @rteetz posted this link in the main news and rumors megathread

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wa...ours-and-extended-fastpass-booking-window.htm

Apparently they are getting 60 days fp access just haven't rolled it out yet.

Sorry @rteetz I just can't keep up with all the posts in the big thread so I don't subscribe to that one anymore and didn't know it had been discussed.

Last edited:
Although I haven't seen official confirmation anywhere of the 60 day fastpass window. The Hilton Website still says 30 days.

https://www.hiltonbonnetcreek.com/activities/disney

EDIT: @rteetz posted this link in the main news and rumors megathread

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wa...ours-and-extended-fastpass-booking-window.htm

Apparently they are getting 60 days fp access just haven't rolled it out yet.

Sorry @rteetz I just can't keep up with all the posts in the big thread so I don't subscribe to that one anymore and didn't know it had been discussed.
All news items are in bold.

If true , this will be great for anybody not wanting to have to stay more than a week to get fp's at 60+ for SWGE.

Great thought and certainly might happen. However, not sure how this fits in with the FP changes we’re currently seeing/expecting to see. Disney could just offer a paid 90d FP window and not bother to mess with the current system at all. In fact, allowing the loopholes to continue would make the 90d window even more valuable.

Great thought and certainly might happen. However, not sure how this fits in with the FP changes we’re currently seeing/expecting to see. Disney could just offer a paid 90d FP window and not bother to mess with the current system at all. In fact, allowing the loopholes to continue would make the 90d window even more valuable.

I suspect it may be because making IT changes that would open up a longer window for specific guests can be done on a larger scale. I think they may want to sell a lot of this option so needing concierge services to manage it would be impractical. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
Very smart! I think you are correct! Now who has guesses at the cost of the early fastpass option?
It would have to be based on how you were staying at WDW. Didn't they just change something with DVC? People who own DVC at the "older" resorts can't trade into the new ones, or something like that? The newest resorts guests (including Star Wars) would get first dibs on any early window purchase. The second tier would be other Disney resorts and the last would be off-Site.

I suspect it may because making IT changes that would open up a longer window for specific guests can be done on a larger scale. I think they may want to sell a lot of this option so needing concierge services to manage it would be impractical. Just a guess though.
That’s exactly my thought.

Wow. That makes a lot of sense.

If true , this will be great for anybody not wanting to have to stay more than a week to get fp's at 60+ for SWGE.

True! But if you have a split onsite stay, would you have to pay for the early access multiple times, while someone with a single long stay would only have to pay once? Assuming you want the early access, of course.

As someone on the west coast who is bloody sick and tired of 3am and 4am reservations, I probably would pay (at least some amount) for early access if it meant I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to ensure availability. Then again, if the price was reasonable, there would probably be enough people paying that I'd still feel the need to get up as soon as the window opens, so, yeah, dream on....

It will be interesting to see how this actually all plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter