Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, it is not letting me book any fast passes past the 26th. I will give it time, but right now this doesn't look to promising for people with split stays.

It may be the price legitimate guests pay due to those who cheat. It’s happened before. Disney tends to throw the baby out with the bath water. So the next time someone says they’re not hurting anyone when they use these cheats....

The demand for any hard ticket events will be so high that they will sell out in about a nano second...that will not be an option for the first timers that are coming, they will have no idea what those events are and that they need to get them months in advance as soon as they are offered.
I would bet that as opening day gets closer or announced that a lot of people will think they can just waltz on down and walk right in to SWGE,,,most of us here know what to expect, it will be overwhelming on a good day.

I don't care about the first timers...LOL.

I was speaking specifically and selfishly for myself and I will be ready to pounce the second a DAH event is announced for my dates. :teeth:

My comment was in reference to whether or not they have eliminated the ability to book all your FPs for length of stay, or if you can only book check-in + 1 day at a time.

right, I know - and if being able to book for length of stay increases the demand to stay onsite (and thus their ability to increase prices and make more $), I think they would go for that option (but like I know you mentioned as well looks like that was just a glitch showing up the way it did today)

The demand for any hard ticket events will be so high that they will sell out in about a nano second...that will not be an option for the first timers that are coming, they will have no idea what those events are and that they need to get them months in advance as soon as they are offered.
I would bet that as opening day gets closer or announced that a lot of people will think they can just waltz on down and walk right in to SWGE,,,most of us here know what to expect, it will be overwhelming on a good day.

I am wondering if they might put together some sort of packages and/or things that travel agents can do and really focus on that as far as promotion and marketing .... so as Iger said they don't really have to get the word out that Galaxy's Edge is opening, so instead focus on marketing "If you want to fully experience Galaxy's Edge, book this package that includes your room and dining and a hard ticket event with lower crowds, etc.)

I think a lot of the first timers that are coming just for Galaxy's Edge would have no issue paying a premium - but they need to know what they need to book/buy to give them the experience they want

This definitely will be annoying for split stays, which I do every trip. Thanks for checking!!
I will keep checking throughout the day, but will cancel these dummy reservations tonight. This is a big game changer for those who do a split stay.
I am doing this split stay because I got the tickets at a big discount. My DVC might seem less valuable to me soon.

I can’t offer any insight on split stays or rolling booking windows, but if we are tracking data on cancellations...our FPs are still there, a few weeks after our on site room was cancelled. I’m not sure if the room was cancelled before/after the 30 day mark (I asked our travel agent to do it before, once we had our new room confirmed, and never heard back from her—noticed it disappeared from MDE around 29 days out, I think?), so I don’t have great data on whether that impacts anything.

I have been checking daily in case they go poof in the night and I need to rebook—I hope not, since we’re now 11 days out and availability is lousy, but we’ll survive if it happens. If anything changes I’m happy to report back here if that information is useful to folks wondering about making changes to their trips. I imagine it could be a case of “this will be policy going forward” so it’s also possible my experience doesn’t mean much for people who cancel after the policy is in place.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this change so please let me know if I'm understanding this.

We are booked at CBR 1 night 4/30-5/1, then transferring to a different location through a group travel reservation booked 5/1-5/7 and I won't get my tickets/room until 5/1 (cheer competition). Since we don't get our tickets until the day we arrive 5/1, we are scrambling for any FP we can find. We were considering buying a 1 day ticket for May 6th (cheaper day) so that we can make FP early for that day and I understood it as we can "roll" with our CBR reservation and on 3/6 book for 5/6. Since I have 1 night/1 ticket, would I be able to roll my 60 days from my qualified CBR stay or would I have to wait until 4/6 to book?

I will keep checking throughout the day, but will cancel these dummy reservations tonight. This is a big game changer for those who do a split stay.
I am doing this split stay because I got the tickets at a big discount. My DVC might seem less valuable to me soon.

I'm confused by your situation. Did you book your dummy leading up to your "real" stay to test so that it looked like a split stay? And, it didn't let you book FPs for both the dummy and the real reservation? Or were you just testing a lone dummy trip that you plan on cancelling FPs for? Just curious if I am understanding the implication booking FPs for the entire trip on split stays...

My comment was in reference to whether or not they have eliminated the ability to book all your FPs for length of stay, or if you can only book check-in + 1 day at a time.

This has not changed. My point was that Disney will not change the ability to book FPs over the span of your entire trip (which you said gave an unfair advantage to longer trips). Disney *wants* there to be an advantage to longer trips. Because $$$.

Sadly, I just confirmed this with two dummy reservations. It looks like the FP window no longer spans a split stay (it now acts like the ADR window). Hopefully this is not intended and is a glitch that will be fixed.

They aren’t doing that. Those with on site stays and who don’t cancel anything are not affected.
If you used all your ticket days to reserve fastpasses it won't. Not sure of all the specifics. Also could take a bit for the system to register. But keep us posted because Split Stays being effected seems bad.

Sadly, I just confirmed this with two dummy reservations. It looks like the FP window no longer spans a split stay (it now acts like the ADR window). Hopefully this is not intended and is a glitch that will be fixed.
That is CRAZY! We are all in on split stays now, it was an amazing upgrade to our Disney vacation style. I gotta agree that this has to be a glitch...

This is the worst news of all! If this is the case I will have to cancel my current split stay and move back to the moderate resort for the entire 8 nights. This will change our $2,500 resort stay to $1,500. I will hold off a month before I make any changes.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this change so please let me know if I'm understanding this.

We are booked at CBR 1 night 4/30-5/1, then transferring to a different location through a group travel reservation booked 5/1-5/7 and I won't get my tickets/room until 5/1 (cheer competition). Since we don't get our tickets until the day we arrive 5/1, we are scrambling for any FP we can find. We were considering buying a 1 day ticket for May 6th (cheaper day) so that we can make FP early for that day and I understood it as we can "roll" with our CBR reservation and on 3/6 book for 5/6. Since I have 1 night/1 ticket, would I be able to roll my 60 days from my qualified CBR stay or would I have to wait until 4/6 to book?

I am honestly not sure how it works with the dating of tickets now. Does it register that you have "a ticket" or does it register that you have a ticket only for May 6th

If it registers just the fact you have a ticket at all or if you bought the 1 day ticket for May 1 then you should be able to book FP for May 1st 60 days out

This is the worst news of all! If this is the case I will have to cancel my current split stay and move back to the moderate resort for the entire 8 nights. This will change our $2,500 resort stay to $1,500. I will hold off a month before I make any changes.

Hopefully it's a glitch. I have to assume it's at least an unintended consequence of WDW preventing a leading reservation opening a 74 day FP window.

But yeah, many people book split stays. I do it all the time since we bought into DVC, with multiple 11 month windows. My last Christmas stay was three resorts and so is my June stay. But without being able to book FP across the entire trip, no way will we do split stays... so I have to think this is a glitch and will be corrected... (time for some meditation to lower my heart rate...)

Last edited:
If you used all your ticket days to reserve fastpasses it won't. Not sure of all the specifics. Also could take a bit for the system to register. But keep us posted because Split Stays being effected seems bad.

My point is, on site guests are not going to a rolling window. There’s been no hint of that and can’t imagine they'd ever do that. Those with longer stays have an advantage, always have, as they should, IMO. Split stays ? No one really knows. There’s no reason they can’t figure out how to link them, but will they? We’ll see. I hope so. There have been times we had to do a split stay, but almosts always at the same resort due to discount deadlines. I dislike split stays because it wastes time having to pack up, wait for check in times, etc.

Do you guys mean split stays, all on Disney property or split stay meaning Stay at a Disney hotel one week and off site for the 2nd??

right, I know - and if being able to book for length of stay increases the demand to stay onsite (and thus their ability to increase prices and make more $), I think they would go for that option (but like I know you mentioned as well looks like that was just a glitch showing up the way it did today)

Oh - Ok! I understand what you are saying now. And, I agree with your analysis.

Do you guys mean split stays, all on Disney property or split stay meaning Stay at a Disney hotel one week and off site for the 2nd??

The concern now is it appears to negatively impact split stays all on Disney property - so transfering from POP to Animal Kingdom Lodge (and I use that example as that is what we are doing for our upcoming August trip)

Just liken now with ADRs you cannot book them for your entire time on property but rather like 2 separate on site stays, appears FP will be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter