• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney to allow guests to remove mask for taking outdoor photo, April 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news. Regardless of their policy, I know that I’ll still be using masks on transportation, especially I when they start packing the buses again.
This is a good point - and masks being voluntary will play right into this. This gives the guest the option and the control, which makes most feel much better about paying for a vacation of the magnitude of Disney. Money is the driving force behind Disney (just a simple fact), however, running a close second is customer satisfaction and Disney will see this as a way to help that.

Oh I so HOPE this is true! We have Photo Pass that was purchased in 2019 for our 2020 trip and I was really dreading having ALL the pictures with our masks on when we finally get to go (2 months from TODAY). I wasn't going to get a refund b/c if we needed to have "Masked Photos" then it will just be something to look back on! But secretly I am HAPPY that our smiles might be showing!

I think this is coming too soon. You give people an inch and they will take a mile. They will read that they can take off this masks for pictures but ignore the distancing part. And we have seen how long some families take to get their photographs. They will do different pictures with different setups and it can take more than just a few minutes.

And people are forgetting that kids are not vaccinated and there are some strains that the vaccines are not so effective against.

It is better to go slow then up your capacity and start being more lenient with masks.

It could be because I am in Europe and the 4th wave is about to hit but the UK and South African strain is no joke.

Oh I so HOPE this is true! We have Photo Pass that was purchased in 2019 for our 2020 trip and I was really dreading having ALL the pictures with our masks on when we finally get to go (2 months from TODAY). I wasn't going to get a refund b/c if we needed to have "Masked Photos" then it will just be something to look back on! But secretly I am HAPPY that our smiles might be showing!
Disney PhotoPass photographers will begin taking photos of maskless guests when the new policy takes effect on April 8th. Of course, this policy will only apply to outdoor, physically distanced PhotoPass locations. At this time, there are no changes to other policies like the one that prevents Cast Members from handling guest phones to take photos of them

This is AMAZING news! We will be there November/December and I was dreading the thought that every picture of my family would be with a mask on unless we got creative and took pictures while eating.

Disney PhotoPass photographers will begin taking photos of maskless guests when the new policy takes effect on April 8th. Of course, this policy will only apply to outdoor, physically distanced PhotoPass locations. At this time, there are no changes to other policies like the one that prevents Cast Members from handling guest phones to take photos of them
I might have to buy memory maker now!

This is good news. My hope is that when we're there at the end of May and early June that you won't have wear them just walking outside of the parks (e.g., from the International Gateway to your hotel or HS, especially if you can socially distance). Anyone think there is any chance of that happening?
We will be there then too (May 30- June 5), and I’m hoping like you that wearing masks outside will become optional 🤞 I’m happy that we can pull them down for photos outside now!

I wonder if they will stop temp checks. I think it's perfectly reasonable to remove mask rules outside. I worry more about long indoor lines because my husband got sick from our 2018 trip and we think that's why. We spent so much money and lost our last couple days because of it.
We stopped doing temp checks more than a month ago at my large hospital. Hopefully Disney follows suit.

If they waited until after spring break to change the policy, I wonder if any other loosening of rules (switching to masks only indoors, etc) would wait until after the summer crowds are over in September.

If they waited until after spring break to change the policy, I wonder if any other loosening of rules (switching to masks only indoors, etc) would wait until after the summer crowds are over in September.
I doubt that would influence the decision since crowds in the Fall are sure to be the same if not worse than this summer due to the 50th.

This is a very reasonable change considering the CDC defines close contact with an infected person as being around them for 15 minutes or more, and considering outdoors the virus dissipates quickly. So if you are taking a picture standing in front of the castle, (1) there is probably at least a six foot space between you and the next person who should be wearing a mask, (2) you are outdoors and any virus would be dissipated quickly and (3) you would only be without a mask for a short time, maybe 5 minutes.

I am interested to see what the benchmark will be. I think once a good portion of the population is vaccinated, making the masks mandatory only indoors makes a lot of sense, especially since outdoors the virus dissipates more quickly. It's possible this could change for the summer based on the current rate of vaccinations and the fact that the J&J vaccine distribution this week should be around 11 million doses.

I am interested to see what the benchmark will be. I think once a good portion of the population is vaccinated, making the masks mandatory only indoors makes a lot of sense, especially since outdoors the virus dissipates more quickly. It's possible this could change for the summer based on the current rate of vaccinations and the fact that the J&J vaccine distribution this week should be around 11 million doses.
By July the issue should be a non factor - whether the CDC acknowledges this or not. The distribution is moving at 2X rate of what was projected - herd immunity will be close by May.

Agree - I think July is the mark at which we see mask non-mandatory for outdoors. Disney may take July 4th to be their go to date for such an announcement - doing so will drive tons of bookings!
Maybe. Or maybe a lot of people will get scared off and cancel bookings.

I would like it if they would drop masks outdoors and only require them inside. That would make things a lot more comfortable. Hopefully it's coming soon!
I agree that should be the next step. Maybe with an intermediate of being able to take them off while on attractions but still on in queue. They could then theoretically “close in” some of the distancing nightmare of the endless lines snaking throughout parks, and attractions photos can be mask-free. That should drive MM sales, bringing in additional revenue before increasing capacity again.

I think this is coming too soon. You give people an inch and they will take a mile. They will read that they can take off this masks for pictures but ignore the distancing part. And we have seen how long some families take to get their photographs. They will do different pictures with different setups and it can take more than just a few minutes.

And people are forgetting that kids are not vaccinated and there are some strains that the vaccines are not so effective against.

It is better to go slow then up your capacity and start being more lenient with masks.

It could be because I am in Europe and the 4th wave is about to hit but the UK and South African strain is no joke.
There will always be some who try to skirt or completely disregard rules. Most will comply, and this will ease a good deal of burden on CM who no doubt are getting blowback on the masked photo policy. Just like Delta unblocking middle seats is multifaceted decision not based wholly on the virus, some of this is a business and employee/guest satisfaction decision.

Giving this “inch,” when 3M shots are being delivered a day and our borders are still essentially closed for tourists, gives people hope that “normal” WDW is on the horizon. Perhaps they’re simultaneously hoping to drive additional bookings for later to justify opening more resorts this fall. I do find that the timing is very short notice, so they’re not trying to increase bookings for a future date based only on the ability to take maskless photos. Said another way, it’s not as if they needed June bookings and announced today that the policy would change June 5t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter