Disney Store Seasonal Employment?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
The Disney Store in my area is hiring seasonal employees. Can anyone shed some light onto what it is like to work this position? Pros/cons? Favorite and least favorite parts of the job? Are there any perks that extend to the parks and hotels? If you woked this job, were you hired on after the holidays?

TIA

Disney Store is like any other retail job. Have you worked retail or customer service jobs before? Do you have cash handling experience? How are you being on your feet in a fast paced environment?

As its seasonal it will probably be basic starting wages, would you be able to support yourself on low wages.

You will probably have a lot of bending and lifting of boxes of stock, you will probably be getting stock from the back store and refilling shelves, and working the tills.

I was hired as a seasonal employee at a drugstore type shop for the Christmas season. Its chaotic, its busy, you have customers expecting you to know things that you dont as you just started the job. You dont really bond with your co workers as you are only hired for 6 or 8 weeks. There may be conflict between the seasonal temporary employees and the full time permanent employees. You may get all busy undesirable shifts and many not be able to request shifts or specific days off, as those privileges will be given to the full time permanent employees first. You may not get full training or induction and just be expected to learn as you go as the managers may not care about investing in training for someone who will only be there for a few weeks.

Most seasonal workers dont get hired after their seasonal contract, the stores just hire extra staff for the busy Christmas rush. January is usually a very quiet time in retail, and stores dont need all the extra staff in quiet times.

DS did this for a short period of time. He loved the environment (loves all things Disney) and his co-workers, but found he was not getting the hours he was expecting (not enough), and although he would get hours three weeks in advance, they were unwilling to provide a consistent schedule, so he could work another job too that gave him more hours and money. Because of these reasons he left. The one little benefit was a pass to get into the parks (for part time seasonal employees, this is just for you).

Overall the environment and people were nice, but it was not something he could afford to do.

Thanks for the feedback!

Worked retail and customer service a long time ago, and I know how it works in general. I am looking for information specifically from working at the Disney Store. I realize that it would be very part time and the pay is low. Still curious to hear more from anyone who has worked there.

I worked at the Disney store just one season. They wanted to keep me on but the only hrs open I couldn’t do with my regular job. I really liked it though. The only perk I remember at the time was 20% off. I don’t think we got park tickets. Oh we did get so much off room rates but at the slower times. Back then there are slower times. This was when lion king first came out Now there’s not that many DS around here anymore. At one time there used to be 4 now we’re down to 1 it’s really not the same either When I was there you got the feeling like you were in the parks. Now it just seems like a toy store. The first day I was there I just watched films on different things shoplifting how to interact with the guest things like that since I was only there a short time I never learned the register I mostly put out the orders that came in and kept things straightened and clean. Which st Christmas keeps you busy. But it was fun. When I there too our customs were shorts the the Mickey Mouse sweaters they looked like letterman sweaters that was fun. When they first opened it was the pleated skirts. Good luck. Hope you get in. All in all it was fun

My daughter is looking into this as well. She works at Pandora but wants to part time at DS, if she can, when she turns 18 in Nov. I don't think the pay is any more than min wage.
From what the manager told us here at our L.I. store, they look for weekends and a couple of days a week, evenings are always needed. They aren't allowed to disclose their perks or pay. It's a company rule of secrecy lol. But from her research online you are considered a cast member when hired so you recieve 20% discount and 1 or 2 passes a year for yourself and 3 guests. They just changed it to using anytime during the year.
I also believe she read a nice discount on rooms & cruises when offered. I want to say up to 50%. I dont even get that much as a TA, so not sure if that's true.
Now I'm not sure If that is for seasonal workers too, or just regular part/ full timers. But again because they can't deny or confirm this, we are going on Google search disclosures.
My kids loooove Disney and are super knowledgable on all things related. It's their dream to work at Disney parks or even the store.

Last edited:
I am a TDS CM. We love our seasonal cast members, we NEED them!! Work is not easy at times, our store includes hauling trash down long hallway, up an elevator and outside. (we ALL do it, including the store manager at times). But mostly seasonals guest service and greet, and work the cash register. None of us are allowed to take a trip in November and December, and day off requests are limited in that period as well. For all of us.

Some years, some seasonals are hired permanently. Best shot at this, is NEVER being late or calling out, if possible, and taking last minute shifts when asked (if possible). But even if you do all that, and the store managers love you, you might not be able to be hired as permanent, that depends on your availability vs. the needs of the store (we need DAY people, for example, and sometimes hard to get people to work 2-6 type shifts). But, last year in my store, we let all seasonals go, but hired one back a few weeks later.

We are not a toy store anymore. I would say 1/3 store is adult stuff. And almost another 1/3 is kids clothing.

I've worked for the Disney Store for 4.5 years. My store closed this summer. :( Holiday help is the same as any other retail store. Our store was small ...so we hired 1-5 extra cast members the years I was there. After the season we normally kept the best of the best. Normally 1 or 2. You receive no other discount as a seasonal CM ...just your 20 % off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter