Disney spending.

hopson2019

Earning My Ears
Hello, So my husband and I are taking our 2 boys to Disney in July. I am trying to figure out a good dollar amount for spending. My boys are 5 & 2 so they dont need much but im not sure how expensive things are down there. Any advice or tips?

Hello, So my husband and I are taking our 2 boys to Disney in July. I am trying to figure out a good dollar amount for spending. My boys are 5 & 2 so they dont need much but im not sure how expensive things are down there. Any advice or tips?

Are you just asking about souvenirs or are you looking for more a general spending budget that includes dining, tipping, rides hares AND souvenirs?

What do you mean by spending? Souvenirs/merch? Food? Accommodation? Park tickets? All of the above?

Ive already figured out our dining, room and tickets, gas to get there and all that, im just talking about souvenirs for all of us. Maybe some T-shirts, Bags, things the kids would want. My husband & 5 year old wants a light saber from Star Wars so I know that's about $400 but I was thinking maybe $1,000 for spending??? Is that to high? Like I said im not sure how expensive things are down there lol

Ive already figured out our dining, room and tickets, gas to get there and all that, im just talking about souvenirs for all of us. Maybe some T-shirts, Bags, things the kids would want. My husband & 5 year old wants a light saber from Star Wars so I know that's about $400 but I was thinking maybe $1,000 for spending??? Is that to high? Like I said im not sure how expensive things are down there lol
When you book savi's you can have 2 people go in. So if they both don't need there own that can save you some money. Or get a kid one (plastic) and one savi. T shirts range from 25-35$. Toys will be 20-60$ higher end for bigger items like trains and such. I would budget 100$ per child than 200$ per adult + one savi lightsaber.

Even t-shirts and bags can range widely in price. Loungefly and Vera Bradley bags are $$$ but other bags are just $$. You can spend $30 on a nice graphic tee or get 2 tees for $25 that have so-so graphics.

$1K for souvenirs should easily cover a family of 4. But since it sounds like you're driving, don't forget to budget for overnight parking at your Disney hotel or for theme park parking if you're staying offsite.

For souvenirs

I can’t imagine spending $1000 on souvenirs. We come home with maybe a couple of t-shirts and magnets. But everyone is different.

As for pricing of clothes, toys etc - think of the highest price you would pay for something at home - then add about 50%.

Like others have said, it depends on what you're looking to purchase. If you want to buy two Dooney & Bourke handbags, that's most of your 1000$ gone. If you are looking just to get a few t-shirts for your boys, along with the lightsabers, and maybe some toys, 1000$ is more than enough.

Back in the day (1990's-early 2000's), we gave our son an allowance to spend for the week, plus he saved his own money to add to his stash. He always came home with a big Lego and a few other things which was $200+ then. We bought him a hat and t shirt of his choosing. Knowing the "rules" upfront saved a lot of anguish and certainly taught him the value of budgeting!

Everything is crazy expensive now, so I would say at least $300+ for each child. If you have a Disney Visa, you may qualify for some 10% discounts which might help! Have a great trip!
pixiedust:

We always bought stuff in advance and left it "from Tink, or Mickey, etc." for them to find in the morning. Disney Pjs, tshirts, light up toys, binoculars for AK, and so on. that made the budget go much further, and they didn't seem to want very much. I think they both had around $50 of grandma or birthday $ on a gift card that they could spend on whatever they wished.

My thoughts may not be particularly popular, but here they are:
- Our souvenir budget is always the same: Zero. Seriously, souvenirs end up as next year's yard sale fodder. Going to Disney is "enough" without buying stuff, stuff, stuff. We started this about the time our kids started school, and they never pushed back. They realized that they went on many more vacations than their friends, and one of those reasons was that we didn't spend $$$ on junk.
- I would not buy a five year old a $200 light saber. Just wouldn't do it.
- If you really think your kids will want tee shirts, etc., look for them on ebay before you go /spend less /have them in the room so the kids'll be ready to wear them to the parks. Disney stuff is easily found.
- When you open yourself to shopping at Disney, you're stepping into a giant time suck. Remember that you're paying near $100/person/day ... to shop for plastic trinkets. We much prefer to make the trip about the experience, not stuff.
- We do live just a couple miles from a Disney Store, and over the years their stuff has gone downhill. I really don't see much at the Disney Store that I'd take home even if it were free.

Once you have your hotel and tickets done, you do need to budget for these things:
- Parking
- Meals
- Drinks and snacks

I'm with @MrsPete. A couple tshirts or a stuffed animal is all we ever got for the kids. If you're driving, hit the outlets or Wallyworld for merchandise if you want more. I def wouldn't be talking about much for kids that age. Buy ahead of time and have them discover the surprise when they wake up. Be forewarned, it's nearly impossible to get off a Disney ride without going thru the shops on the way out. Figure out a strategy so you can get the family moving quickly on to the next attraction, or you'll have lots of stuff at the end of the day but will have not hit all the rides you'd hoped to. Have a great trip!! Remember, any money saved from not buying souvenirs can start the savings for the next trip :)

We would only ever get a tshirt per kid and a small stuffed toy when they were younger. As they got older, the didn't want the tshirts. One kid liked pin trading but I don't even think they do that anymore. A pin to put on a backpack is fun and can be under $10 (check the price list...). They liked the shop after Pirates of the Caribbean where they have swords and 'gems'. If you stay out of the shops they won't be tempted.

Hustle them through at the end of the rides...say 'we have to get to Peter Pan!' or whatever to keep them moving.

When we went, my kids always had souvenir money from their grandmother. I thought it was a big waste, as others have said, but she felt strongly that it was her prerogative to spoil her grandkids. We agreed to disagree--she won. I'm not sorry, though--she's gone now, I'm glad she got to spoil my kids while she could.

That said, DH and I didn't waste a ton of time souvenir shopping. Of course my kids would be attracted to every shiny object--and there's no shortage of them. We would tell them they had $X to spend in each park (1/4 of their total, so if they had $100, it would be $25 per park). Any money "saved" one day could be rolled over. If we were in a park more than one day, we'd let them look the first day, and make a note of any special items, then go back on the second day if they actually remembered--sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. What we found was, our kids were much more careful shoppers when they had a budget and it was "their" money.

I'm also in the camp of not buying a $200 light saber for a 5yo. Huge waste of money.

Be forewarned, it's nearly impossible to get off a Disney ride without going thru the shops on the way out.
This is a very important point. Talking to your kids ahead of time about spending-expectations is important; if you wait until they're surrounded by "all the shiney stuff", you're lost.
Hustle them through at the end of the rides...say 'we have to get to Peter Pan!' or whatever to keep them moving.
Yes, that's a good strategy.
When we went, my kids always had souvenir money from their grandmother. I thought it was a big waste, as others have said, but she felt strongly that it was her prerogative to spoil her grandkids.
Yes, being a new grandmother, I agree it's her prerogative to spoil her grandchildren -- but that doesn't give her the right to cut into your vacation time, especially when you're spending literally hundreds of dollars per day for your family to be in the parks -- and when you let the kids spend grandma's money in the parks, that's what's happening: she's cutting into your expensive park time.

If you want your children to be able to spend grandma's money, I'd insist that they do it at Disney Springs on a non-ticket day.
What we found was, our kids were much more careful shoppers when they had a budget and it was "their" money.
Yes, but that lesson can be taught at home in your local stores.

I remember one of my oldest child's first "light bulb moments" in terms of money: we'd gone to the movies, and I hadn't bought any candy for my purse. Of course my oldest, who was in kindergarten, wanted a tube of M&M minis, which cost something like $3 or 4. I gave her the money and explained to her she could buy one tube right then at the movie theater, or I would stop at the grocery store on the way home, and she could buy 3-4 tubes for the same amount of money. She didn't believe me, questioned me about details, but she was willing to try. In the event, she got 4 tubes and had change left over. Kid was gobsmacked; she had no idea that buying from the right place /at the right time could equal more for your dollar. For the next week she asked me questions about money -- smart questions.

Today that kid is 28 years old, married, debt-free, drives a paid-for car, lives in a paid-for house. She had her husband have worked hard for everything they have, but -- just as importantly -- they've worked and spent smart. And that tube of M&Ms was the first time she really "saw" money as more than a matter of spend-and-get-right-now. But if you really want to see a kid who's sharp with money, it's her younger sister. That kid is ninja-level frugal; she's 24 years old and could pay cash for a house right now.

Yes, being a new grandmother, I agree it's her prerogative to spoil her grandchildren -- but that doesn't give her the right to cut into your vacation time, especially when you're spending literally hundreds of dollars per day for your family to be in the parks -- and when you let the kids spend grandma's money in the parks, that's what's happening: she's cutting into your expensive park time.

If you want your children to be able to spend grandma's money, I'd insist that they do it at Disney Springs on a non-ticket day.

In our case, Grandma paid for the trip. When my older two were younger, she'd go with us (our youngest was born when she was 75--she stopped family traveling by that point). She would have us all go, on the Premium Plan(all park admissions, all meals, usually a few extra perks, like hearing a story read by a character or time with a private photographer). We never did Disney Springs/Downtown Disney days with her. Ironically, she wasn't into shopping--just spoiling the grandkids. One year, we took them over the youngest one's birthday--she literally told me that she'd fund a $1000 souvenir budget. For a 5yo! I would have needed a private jet to get that much crap back to New Hampshire!

Clearly, money was her "love language". She placed a high premium on education and travel. She paid for our oldest to go to the private college of her dreams, and left DH plenty of money to fund college for our younger two (now 18 and 15).

@hopson2019.....It may seem that you're hearing from a bunch of cheapskates who don't want you to enjoy any Disney souvenirs. I hope that is not the way this has come across. In reality, you're hearing from parents who probably enjoyed multiple Disney trips over the years and realize that as the kids grow, what was so important last year can be insignificant this year. Keeping it simple (like setting small souvenir budgets while they're young) will go a long way towards keeping expectations in check as they grow older. There will be MANY opportunities to spend spend spend as the years go on. Sports, scouts, band, braces, cell phones, whatever - the demands on your finances will only increase!

Obviously, our situations may not match yours, but I hope you'll hear the voices of experience (not judgement) as you read through the responses.

Here's what I know from my last trip. Basically, everything they sell in the parks can also be found in Disney Springs. Still get your stuff but without all the lugging around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter