Disney Souvenirs

Is it just me or has Disney souvenirs gotten horrible?
I remember when you coukd get unique stuff in the shop in adventureland now it is all quicksilver merchandise, went in there just one day out of 5 park days. There really is no point in all the stores when they all carry the exact same stuff. I would always get something from the glassblowing shop and the last two visits I didn't even gon in to look.

Is it just me or has Disney souvenirs gotten horrible?
Judging by the constant demand for products and quick sell-out of special items, it might just be you.

I think the best souvenir in the parks is a drawing from the Animation Academy: it’s personal to you and it’s free. What can beat that?

I don't think they've gotten horrible, but I only visit the parks once a year and so I don't see all the merchandise they spew out. Surely there is some merit to this argument, but when you're over saturating yourself with something it tends to get old. To me, Disneyland is still that nostalgic place I lived near when I was a kid but no longer can visit as much as I'd like and the absence makes the heart grow fonder for it. When I get souvenirs at Disneyland, I always get something special I can remember it by that means a lot to me. Things I can look at that bring a smile to my face, things I can wear and use everyday. Things I can collect because of unique offerings during various times of the years.

Gone are the days of the really unique items you could find in Disneyland. They used to have real glassblowers, and an antique store, an 'everything' store, etc. They weren't just a repeat of what every other Disney store carried, but had some high quality items that were not made in China specifically for the parks. I often find cute and fun items now, but I rarely buy much. I really don't get the feeding frenzy about popcorn buckets and pins etc but to each his own. I feel lucky that I can remember when there were unique options and that I own a few.

Gone are the days of the really unique items you could find in Disneyland. They used to have real glassblowers, and an antique store, an 'everything' store, etc. They weren't just a repeat of what every other Disney store carried, but had some high quality items that were not made in China specifically for the parks. I often find cute and fun items now, but I rarely buy much. I really don't get the feeding frenzy about popcorn buckets and pins etc but to each his own. I feel lucky that I can remember when there were unique options and that I own a few.
I agree, I would bring home great finds, but not now. We did a 5 day trip at the end of July and the only thing I bought was a droid that I built and a new pair of mouse ears, and a pack of post cards.

Yep. Just got back for the first time in 4 years. Was hoping for some cool stuff. I bought a pack of postcards from Galaxy's Edge, a few pins (because I am a collector) and I struggled to buy a T-Shirt, but I ended up with the Classic Mickey one. I used to spend hundreds of dollars each time I visited the year we had AP's, lived in AZ and visited 5 times, there was so much cool, unique stuff. Now, it's a little bit of interesting stuff my Dad already got me because they sell the same items at WDW, or items so ugly you wonder who would be interested.

Yep. Just got back for the first time in 4 years. Was hoping for some cool stuff. I bought a pack of postcards from Galaxy's Edge, a few pins (because I am a collector) and I struggled to buy a T-Shirt, but I ended up with the Classic Mickey one. I used to spend hundreds of dollars each time I visited the year we had AP's, lived in AZ and visited 5 times, there was so much cool, unique stuff. Now, it's a little bit of interesting stuff my Dad already got me because they sell the same items at WDW, or items so ugly you wonder who would be interested.
I was really put off on the shop in adventureland, it was full of clothes that you find at your local mall. I'm sorry but I don't spend that much money on a vacation to Disney just to buy a brand of clothes that I can get at home.

Judging by the constant demand for products and quick sell-out of special items, it might just be you.

I think the best souvenir in the parks is a drawing from the Animation Academy: it’s personal to you and it’s free. What can beat that?

We love Animation Academy. We try to draw a few times while we are there. Great place to relax and get out of the crowds and heat. I love getting the maps for the parks to take home and place in a scrapbook. Same with buttons, and other interesting things.

My absolute favorite WDW experience growing up was visiting the different Main Street shops and seeing things that were simply unavailable elsewhere. It made shopping there feel so special and exclusive. Now I wander through Disneyland’s Main Street, seeing the same things in almost every shop, and promise myself to do a quick run through World of Disney with the nieces and nephews’ wish lists in tow. It’s more like a Christmas rush mall run than a special Disney experience.

I look at all the cool and unique stuff that Disney puts out for events like the haunted mansion 50th and d23, then look at the garbage that’s in every single gift shop.... I just don’t get it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter