Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Do you have something that shows that because they definitely look like they go higher than the monorail?

I don't have the measurements so can't say for certain, but everything I have seen shows them appearing to be no higher than the monorail at most point. Especialyl considering they are hanging down (so lower than the cable) for the monorail on top (so higher than the beams)

Here is a photo of them testing with the work gondolas over the parking lot
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_34254.jpg;width=630;height=422;mode=crop;quality=60;encoder=freeimage;progressive=true

vs the monorail - this is by the Contemporary which I think is the highest the monorail gets, but it appears at least at this point to be higher than the Skyliner will be

disney-world-monorail.jpg

I don't have the measurements so can't say for certain, but everything I have seen shows them appearing to be no higher than the monorail at most point. Especialyl considering they are hanging down (so lower than the cable) for the monorail on top (so higher than the beams)

Here is a photo of them testing with the work gondolas over the parking lot
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_34254.jpg;width=630;height=422;mode=crop;quality=60;encoder=freeimage;progressive=true

vs the monorail - this is by the Contemporary which I think is the highest the monorail gets, but it appears at least at this point to be higher than the Skyliner will be

disney-world-monorail.jpg

I think they will just seem higher because you can see below you a lot easier and the monorail beam seems much more stable! Can't wait to try them out though! I've been on the Orlando StarFlyer so these will feel like park swings in comparison! lol

I am fairly certain the monorail height is higher than most of the skyway. There may be a few spots where the gondola goes higher though. (I'm thinking of them having to travel OVER the CBR resort.)

I guess one thing that I never really think about is there is probably a lot of people out there who have NEVER ridden a gondola. I don't think that way because I've been riding them since I was a little kid.

Question for the folks on here that are nervous about riding a gondola: Am I right in assuming you've never ridden in one?

Last edited:

I am fairly certain the gondola height is higher than most of the skyway. There may be a few spots where the gondola goes higher though. (I'm thinking of them having to travel OVER the CBR resort.)

I guess one thing that I never really think about is there is probably a lot of people out there who have NEVER ridden a gondola. I don't think that way because I've been riding them since I was a little kid.

Question for the folks on here that are nervous about riding a gondola: Am I right in assuming you've never ridden in one?
Or people who only rode something like the former open chair lift skyway at MK (and vowed never again)

I am fairly certain the gondola height is higher than most of the skyway. There may be a few spots where the gondola goes higher though. (I'm thinking of them having to travel OVER the CBR resort.)

I'm not exactly nervous as I know to avoid feeling dizzy I have to look out not straight down. I've been in tall buildings and feeling the sway made me queasy, so we will see. (Obviously going the shortest route first time lol)

I used to love riding in gondolas as a kid/young adult. But I think many people develop phobias or become more anxious as they get older. That's what happened to me anyways.

And for some people it's not even a phobia. It's just your body changing. Like how many people can't do spinny rides as they get older. I'm sure some people think they may feel nauseous with the movement, height and enclosed space.

is it a for sure thing that these won't have A/C? Will they be ventilated at all? that's the only thing that's giving me pause

is it a for sure thing that these won't have A/C? Will they be ventilated at all? that's the only thing that's giving me pause

Definitely no a/c - will have passive cooling with vent slats and reflective coating

Per reports it is to keep it now warmer than outside temperature and I think when in motion at least will be more comfortable than waiting for a bus

I am fairly certain the monorail height is higher than most of the skyway. There may be a few spots where the gondola goes higher though. (I'm thinking of them having to travel OVER the CBR resort.)

I’m nervous about the gondola and very glad that they are saying fall of this year as an opening bc we will be there spring/summerish time. I don’t want to ride them mostly because of the wire, but I won’t ride anything with a wire or rope. A local amusement park had the open ones like a ski lift and I was terrified I was going to fall off as a kid, and when I was about 12 I was swinging and the chain broke. Now I know that this is was a freak accident but I still stay clear of ropes and wires.

Now I would go on it for my kids but I would be crying about it bc I’m just scared. But luckily I won’t have to bc they shouldn’t be up by then. We leave in 110 days

Correct in my case. I’m not looking forward to riding these at all. For me it’s the “dangling by a wire” issue, not the height. Ugh, especially when traveling over water.

We WERE booked at Beach Club this fall, so I had no plans of getting on these. Then my in-laws booked at Pop and we decided to move there to make everything easier. It’s obviously the best choice for getting to Epcot and HS from there. I just hope it’s in use a couple weeks before we get there so I can feel more comfortable with it.

Folks should also keep in mind that they can't compare just by looking at the height of the the track/ropes. The monorail rides on top of the rail so it's actually higher than they might look. The gondolas hang down from the ropes so they are closer to the ground than they might look.

Correct in my case. I’m not looking forward to riding these at all. For me it’s the “dangling by a wire” issue, not the height. Ugh, especially when traveling over water.
I'm thinking if one of those gondolas goes off the track "over the water" is exactly where I'd wanna be ;)

I've never been in a Gondola!
We are staying at Boardwalk, but gonna jump on one at International Gateway just to try it out. Get out at whatever the first stop is if I start to freak out. :p

The only reason I have pause is because the L here in Chicago gets stuck so frequently, hard to separate it in mind. I always panic I'll have to use the washroom (don't know why), so I always stop at a restroom before I get on any transportation I can't control. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter