Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I don't think Reflections/Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge are a target. Increased boat service is a far cheaper answer and if they were going to do something along those lines it would have been announced to build fervor for Reflections (not that I think Reflections will need it).
A tangent topic but I assume FW and Reflections will have to share a boat to MK (if everything stays the same) because they can't really just keep adding more dedicated boat lines because the front of MK has only so much capacity with the GF/Poly dock gone it already is a mess to handle the 3 lines there (with one line being exclusively smaller boats). So they probably do have some level of an issue with boats in the MK area (perhaps Poly and GF lose their boat service with the walkway and that's the entire motive to build the walkway). Something different will have to be done and we already know that Reflections is building a boat dock but not sure if FW will merge with it (unlikely given it's to the west end of the campus and FW guests would have to walk through the actual Resort to get there), so they appear to be getting dedicated boats so I suspect further transportation changes will happen in the MK area (I think Poly and GF losing it makes the most sense).

A tangent topic but I assume FW and Reflections will have to share a boat to MK (if everything stays the same) because they can't really just keep adding more dedicated boat lines because the front of MK has only so much capacity with the GF/Poly dock gone it already is a mess to handle the 3 lines there (with one line being exclusively smaller boats). So they probably do have some level of an issue with boats in the MK area (perhaps Poly and GF lose their boat service with the walkway and that's the entire motive to build the walkway). Something different will have to be done and we already know that Reflections is building a boat dock but not sure if FW will merge with it (unlikely given it's to the west end of the campus and FW guests would have to walk through the actual Resort to get there), so they appear to be getting dedicated boats so I suspect further transportation changes will happen in the MK area (I think Poly and GF losing it makes the most sense).
I think the most likely solution is to add more large boats and pull out the smaller launches if the resorts are going to share. That adds capacity but doesn't change the docking needs.

I think the most likely solution is to add more large boats and pull out the smaller launches if the resorts are going to share. That adds capacity but doesn't change the docking needs.
That is a good option.
Cost wise, adding more dock space at the Magic Kingdom could also be a cost effective solution.

Anything skyliner in the MK area has to be linked to the monorails future.

Isn't FW already running only two large boats? At least when I've been there it's always two cruisers. Logistically adding a third boat to the route is probably too much. WL is alternating a cruiser and one resort launch. But WL isn't the area with the increased capacity need (though two cruisers servicing it would be great).
That is a good option.
Cost wise, adding more dock space at the Magic Kingdom could also be a cost effective solution.

Anything skyliner in the MK area has to be linked to the monorails future.
As for the docks they aren't adding a new one right now (just rebuilding the GF/Poly) and I would assume with the new entrance experience would be the time they expand and add if they wanted to actually do it.

I still strongly suspect the Poly and GF boat disappears (Poly can walk or go to TTC and GF can walk).

Isn't FW already running only two large boats? At least when I've been there it's always two cruisers. Logistically adding a third boat to the route is probably too much. WL is alternating a cruiser and one resort launch. But WL isn't the area with the increased capacity need (though two cruisers servicing it would be great).
Ft Wilderness has always run both the launches and the cruisers logistics allowing. When we were there in January it was freezing and we kept praying for a cruiser to get to the inside portion, but we kept getting the launches. Of course, at the time, one of the cruisers was out for repairs, so that exacerbated matters. But, as long as I've been going to The Fort, they have used both launches and cruisers.

As for the docks they aren't adding a new one right now (just rebuilding the GF/Poly) and I would assume with the new entrance experience would be the time they expand and add if they wanted to actually do it.

I still strongly suspect the Poly and GF boat disappears (Poly can walk or go to TTC and GF can walk).
I'm not sure I agree with the bolded statement above, at least not while the monorail is in it's current operation state. I think they'd have to see ridership drop after the path is done.

As to adding dock space now, yes it would make logical financial sense to do it now.....but I don't think Disney as every really been good about that sort of stuff. I could see them doing inline with adding the dock at Reflections as that would likely be part of that budget. It would not be major undertaking to add on to that pier.
We've seen disney do all sort of head scratching maneuvers, rehabing stuff only to destroy it a year later.

Ft Wilderness has always run both the launches and the cruisers logistics allowing. When we were there in January it was freezing and we kept praying for a cruiser to get to the inside portion, but we kept getting the launches. Of course, at the time, one of the cruisers was out for repairs, so that exacerbated matters. But, as long as I've been going to The Fort, they have used both launches and cruisers.
On two different sides of the dock (each side only has a total of two boats). One side is the FW->CR->WL loop the other to MK. The one with needed additional boat capacity would be the MK route which is two cruisers (the boat launches do the resort loop) so adding a third boat to that dock would be a mess. Often as it is one boat (on the same side of the dock at FW) is already waiting at one dock for the other to leave.

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded statement above, at least not while the monorail is in it's current operation state. I think they'd have to see ridership drop after the path is done.

As to adding dock space now, yes it would make logical financial sense to do it now.....but I don't think Disney as every really been good about that sort of stuff. I could see them doing inline with adding the dock at Reflections as that would likely be part of that budget. It would not be major undertaking to add on to that pier.
We've seen disney do all sort of head scratching maneuvers, rehabing stuff only to destroy it a year later.
It's already super under utilized most of the time as a majority of its guests use the monorail or ferry (in the case of Poly). So I do think when Reflections is ready its ridership will drop even more so with pushing the path (and the modest updating of the monorail trains). Considering it is Resort Launches only I suspect it is under utilized.

Though to get back on topic I agree MK isn't likely to see a Skyliner because of what I view as ways they could increase boat capacity in the MK area.

On two different sides of the dock (each side only has a total of two boats). One side is the FW->CR->WL loop the other to MK. The one with needed additional boat capacity would be the MK route which is two cruisers (the boat launches do the resort loop) so adding a third boat to that dock would be a mess. Often as it is one boat (on the same side of the dock at FW) is already waiting at one dock for the other to leave.
Both of the last 2 times I was at The Fort they were using resort launches for the MK route as well as the resort route. The second time one of the cruisers was down, not sure about the first time but it's possible. I know Wilderness Lodge uses one cruiser and one launch for the MK route. They will need to add capacity. With an extra resort that will have it's own dock, adding another boat is the obvious solution and you won't have much more backup because there is an extra stop.

For time and prestige purposes, I'd not want Reflections to be on a 3 resort loop anymore than I'd want Deluxe WL set up that way. So I'd remove the launch from Wilderness Lodge and switch to all cruisers except for the intra-resort loop. Then I'd add another cruiser so there would be 5 cruisers instead of the current 3. I'd run one to each resort exclusively and then I'd share the other 2. One splits WL and Reflections, one splits Reflections and FW. As a DVC, Reflections will get slightly better service, but you also upgrade the one launch from Wilderness Lodge while dropping some exclusivity. FW service actually drops a small amount, which is nothing new for people used to The Fort, as it goes from 2 dedicated boats to one. However, those boats are most crowded at open/close obviously, but also Hoop De Doo times, and people can get off at Reflections to go to Hoop De Doo as well as some of the loops closest to the Reflections dock, which seems like it will be on the side closest to The Fort. Assuming they build a walking connection between the resorts of course.

Going to only cruisers will also limit the number of times a cruiser from Ft. Wilderness gets diverted to WL because of a wheelchair guest just missing the last cruiser.

Last edited:
Like everything, the water routes is touch more complicated than we sometimes realize.

Rode for the first time today! Have to say it was more convenient than waiting for a bus. Took it from Pop to Riviera for breakfast.

One thought that came to mind is if one of the gondolas fall into the water - how fast they will be filled with water and in turn trapping riders on board. 😓

Rode for the first time today! Have to say it was more convenient than waiting for a bus. Took it from Pop to Riviera for breakfast.

One thought that came to mind is if one of the gondolas fall into the water - how fast they will be filled with water and in turn trapping riders on board. 😓
Other than the entire line being cut, which requires some serious cutting power, how would they fall off the line?

Our last 2 times at WL, they were using the party boats (I did not know that they were, I was told they are used for Pirate cruises?). They seemed sort of old but an in-between sized boat. (I am interested in the boat situation since we own DVC at WL BR.) I guess they need to really make a new plan for the MK resorts and the boats. I love the direct routes from WL to FW or Contemporary option, but they might cut that I suppose.

Our last 2 times at WL, they were using the party boats (I did not know that they were, I was told they are used for Pirate cruises?). They seemed sort of old but an in-between sized boat. (I am interested in the boat situation since we own DVC at WL BR.) I guess they need to really make a new plan for the MK resorts and the boats. I love the direct routes from WL to FW or Contemporary option, but they might cut that I suppose.
I hope they don't cut that! it's one of the transport plusses at WL! (I also think they need it for the Deluxe label?)

I doubt they cut the resort line as that isn’t really a capacity issue since it stays within bay lake and uses the resort cruisers only. The issue with capacity is the front of MK for docking and larger boats (they have a fair number of resort launches).

I've seen FW running two big boats and one of each. Last Jan I had to ride back to MK from Trails End in a small boat in the pouring rain freezing to death.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter