Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Like say Texas. Or Louisiana. Very similar climate to FL. Plenty of tourists from those locales.

Yep. We don’t like the heat, but we accept it. I’d much rather be on a gondola than standing outside in the middle of summer. It’s currently 91 degrees outside with a heat index of 95 degrees. Tomorrow, the high is 76 with a low of 50. Just typical random Texas weather. Haha.

I mean people willing go to the pool all day at their resort and sit outside for more than 3 hours. I go to the beach with my kids for hours at a time, sitting in the shade. I have yet to die.

It’s not like no one ever goes for more than 3 hours without air conditioning. In fact the human species has lived without AC in places far warmer than Florida for thousands of years. I’d hazard a guess people living in India or Vietnam which are truly tropical survive without any air conditioning at all! Just because we’re spoiled Americans doesn’t mean we will actually melt.

Additionally, if there is a thunderstorm, nothing bad will happen. They system is grounded if it happens to get struck by lightening, so we’re not gonna have a tower of terror situation here. Also they aren’t going to blow off the line. They might sway and be a little uncomfortable , but that’s not actually dangerous.

I’m not saying this is a good thing, or that it should happen a lot. Clearly there are some communication and procedural issues Disney needs to fix. But this isn’t going to turn into a mass casualty situation as some people are saying it will.
Jax, I was really hoping for that Tower of Terror situation though!

Okay so I'm not reading back over tons of pages to see if there's an answer....I've been away a couple days...but do they know what caused the 3 hour hangtime?
I did skim a little and saw that RCFD had trouble locating the gondolas where people had needed emergency help and this created a real mess because the location of the right gondola couldn't be located in a timely manner? Maybe just a rumor? I couldn't find anything out there to back this up.

Unfortunately you are overlooking heat acclimatization. A person coming from a generally colder climate and staying in the subtropical climate of WDW needs about two weeks to become fully acclimated to the higher ambient temperatures and high humidity levels. Therefore, putting a non-acclimated tourist in a gondola for three hours could very likely cause them health problems.

I'm south LA and have never become acclimated, lol
Unlike a pp, I can sweat buckets, but it doesn't keep me cool - I still love the heat though.

Okay so I'm not reading back over tons of pages to see if there's an answer....I've been away a couple days...but do they know what caused the 3 hour hangtime?
I did skim a little and saw that RCFD had trouble locating the gondolas where people had needed emergency help and this created a real mess because the location of the right gondola couldn't be located in a timely manner? Maybe just a rumor? I couldn't find anything out there to back this up.
Just speculation. Someone did seem to have some good info that the long delay was only because of the need to evacuate one car, and all others were brought into station. Although another report said some lower to the ground were evacuated as well. The last many pages have all been coulda, shoulda, woulda about the lack of AC. I’m waiting to hear if it’s up and running...it seems as though it may be soon based on a couple of recent posts. Disney has not made any recent statements. And thanks to the world of litigation, they probably won’t.

Yes, sure. But that’s true of any outdoor space. Like standing in the magic kingdom waiting for a parade.

The coating on these reflect heat, so it’s not like a car. Sure it’s gonna be hot. But it basically gonna be like being outside in the shade. Not significantly hotter

Two points: 1. I would think they must have, but do we know that this has been tested for several hours in the Florida midday sun? 2. You also have to account for body heat. Six people in a smallish gondola on a hot day are going to heat it up quite quickly.

I'm not saying I'll never ride it...I'm not saying they are death traps...All I'm saying is I think they will heat up if stopped for an extended amount of time in the Florida heat.

Last edited:
People don't understand comfort level vs temperature. When the wind goes away, so does the evaporative cooling effect and the convection effect. So it "feels" much warmer, while the actual dry bulb temperature only slowly increases.

The comfort level will quickly drop off, but that doesn't mean it'll also quickly turn into a dangerous heat situation.

I recommend reading up on wet bulb global temperature. Anyone discussing dry bulb is only telling a very small fraction of the story. As a quick illustration, on a hot day, stand in the shade for a bit. Then move and stand in the sun. Does it feel much warmer? Yes? Well the air temperature is exactly the same, but now you are exposed to direct heat transfer via radiation with the sun.

At the end of the day, it is really the comfort level that you feel and is what can cause heat stroke. In the case of the Skyliners though, I think you get a very sharp increase in WBGT after stopping but it should level off and stay just a little worse than sitting in the shade at the same time. The gondolas are very different than a sealed up car.

throw in a little discussion about emmisivity and energy (heat) transfer and we got it covered!

Two points: 1. I would think they must have, but do we know that this has been tested for several hours in the Florida midday sun? 2. You also have to account for body heat. Six people in a smallish gondola on a hot day are going to heat it up quite quickly.

I'm not saying I'll never ride it...I'm not saying they are death traps...All I'm saying is I think they will heat up if stopped for an extended amount of time in the Florida heat.
They had gondolas stopped on the lines for hours/days while testing most of this summer.
How much of that testing included temperature readings, and what those temperatures reported is not known

Any further posts regarding heat and AC will be removed. Please post about the operations of the Skyliner. This is the news and rumors forum not the transportation board. If you want to discuss comfortability go there.

Which.....any comments about heat and AC directly tie into news/rumors about the Skyliner. The Skyliner IS transportation, so maybe you should just move the whole thread.

Which.....any comments about heat and AC directly tie into news/rumors about the Skyliner. The Skyliner IS transportation, so maybe you should just move the whole thread.
Right now the focus is the operational status of the Skyliner. Heat and AC has been discussed since this thread began in 2017. I don’t think anything more about it can be discussed. They aren’t retrofitting this system to add it. This system is staying as is. You aren’t forced to ride the system either buses are still available. If you want to discuss evacuation procedures that’s different.

Maybe because I had to skim through 4 pages of talk about it today with at least 2 people asking if they were running the skylingers today, which never got answered. My trip is in less than 3 weeks, I"m coming here to find out if it's running, testing, not doing anything etc so I can properly plan my stay because I'm staying at pop and one night includes going to CBR for dinner and without the skyliner we have to go elsewhere.

Glad to see they appear to be getting ready for long lines, unless it's just a use what's there to keep people out barrier. Not that those are effective at that at all.

Thursday evening 10/10, "Cory Meets World" was live streaming, walking to the IG, and the Epcot line was testing. Station was closed but cabins were running at a good clip. I'm still excited about the Skyliner and hope they can reopen it soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter