Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Aesthetic reasons absolutely. They aren't going to want guests to go through a half finished hotel site. As soon as it looks presentable from the view of the station, then you are probably good to go.

Yea that's a lot of free "eyes on" advertising, esp showing the quick ride to EPCOT and back if you were to end up buying/staying there.

Plus I would think the outside would be done well before the inside.

That site is just repeating what Jim Hill said a few weeks ago. I believe Jim has subsequently re-tracted his statement about A/C saying the information was mis-interpreted. The article also repeated the statement that "Guests will get off from one side of the car, while new guests getting on will enter from the opposite side." which is also incorrect. Load and unload will be on opposite sides of the station, not opposite sides of the car.

No functional reason
Aesthetic reasons absolutely. They aren't going to want guests to go through a half finished hotel site. As soon as it looks presentable from the view of the station, then you are probably good to go.
Also remember there is a question as to how the riviera station will work and whether it will require riders to disembark and reload as it a bit different than the turn station at boardwalk parking lot.
They are going to want to start using the gondolas asap. They invested tons of money on this, and perhaps the biggest return on investment is cut backs on buses to those resorts.

Guests seeing a half finished RR will not prevent disney saving a ton of money on bus operations.

If disney were so concerned about guests seeing construction, HS would have been closed completely for the last few years.

They are going to want to start using the gondolas asap. They invested tons of money on this, and perhaps the biggest return on investment is cut backs on buses to those resorts.

Guests seeing a half finished RR will not prevent disney saving a ton of money on bus operations.

If disney were so concerned about guests seeing construction, HS would have been closed completely for the last few years.
I would agree. Disney does a great job of masking on-going construction. Just walk around any of the parks and you will see examples.

I Agree.

I wasn't there, but legend has it that the Epcot Monorail was finished while Epcot was still under construction, and WDW sold tickets to ride the monorail over the ongoing construction. Disney seems less concerned lately about "Preserving the Magic", including routinely sending Guests thru backstage areas exiting F!, and behind Main Street USA before they finally cleaned up that route.

Besides, the Riviera is not inside a park, so there's not much Magic to preserve.

According to the Orlando Theme Park News, the cabling was supposed to start last night. If anyone is at the parks and can take pics of this, please do. Thanks

According to the Orlando Theme Park News, the cabling was supposed to start last night. If anyone is at the parks and can take pics of this, please do. Thanks
Bassd in the closures on Viciry Way! I wonder if they’re starting near Pop/AoA?

Anybody know where all the cabins are being stored? I know there have been pictures of the odd one here and there, but has the whole fleet of them been brought on property?

Anybody know where all the cabins are being stored? I know there have been pictures of the odd one here and there, but has the whole fleet of them been brought on property?

If they are on site, which they might not be, I would guess in the construction staging yard at Pop. Bioreconstruct posted aerials yesterday but no clear shots of that area.

If they are on site, which they might not be, I would guess in the construction staging yard at Pop. Bioreconstruct posted aerials yesterday but no clear shots of that area.
I didn’t see any cabins in that area from 11/1-11/5.

Per WDWNT first cable installation complete - by DHS (I am no expert so not sure if these are the final cables or just leader lines - they look thinner than I would have expected but might just be perspective):

View attachment 364490
https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/cableguy/

Those are definitely not the support cables. They will pull multiple lines through first (usually 2-3 different ones) before the final cable goes on. The final cable is incredibly heavy and should be 54mm (over 2 inches) thick.

Last edited:
Those are definitely not the support cables. They will pull multiple lines through first (usually 2-3 different ones) before the final cable goes on. The final cable is incredibly heavy and should be 54mm (over 2 inches) thick.

It could be just hard to tell from the pictures but it does look like the lowest cable on the various rollers is the final support cable (or rope) as it looks to be fairly taught for something that is just there temporarily. Ofcouse we probably won't know untill we actully see them putting Gondolas on the line weather or not it is the finished product.

It could be just hard to tell from the pictures but it does look like the lowest cable on the various rollers is the final support cable (or rope) as it looks to be fairly taught for something that is just there temporarily. Ofcouse we probably won't know untill we actully see them putting Gondolas on the line weather or not it is the finished product.
It has to be tight to pull the other cables in place, and to remain securely on the towers. This is the standard procedure, there will be another cable or two pulled in place before the final one. I've watched this done many times.

So guests staying at Riviera won't be able to use the Skyliner?

No, they will board empty cabins when they are available. The most likely scenario is that they will have some sort of policy to send every 5th or 8th or whatever from the ends of the CBR-IG line in empty so that Riviera passengers won't have to wait too long for a spot. Again, it is all conjecture on how they handle it, but that's the most likely scenario as they won't want to make Riviera passengers wait too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter