• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you work for BP in the UK then you must have spent a lot of time in the US investigating their disasters here. Unbelievable number, refinery fires, massive pipeline leaks, blowouts, etc. Their main activity in the US has been disasters.
Funny you should mention BP - I have worked for them in the past! I could bore you for hours about the differences between the UK and US cultures to safety. Not working for them now though.

If you work for BP in the UK then you must have spent a lot of time in the US investigating their disasters here. Unbelievable number, refinery fires, massive pipeline leaks, blowouts, etc. Their main activity in the US has been disasters.
Seriously? What does this have to do with anything? Personal attacks, no matter how they are couched, are not allowed on DIS. Put the PP on ignore and move on.

Whilst a lot of people are critical of the length of time taken to get everybody off, I actually think 3 hours was pretty good from my experience of dealing with major incidents. Looking at those damaged cars at the station, getting the cars hauled back in was never going to happen quickly. So I'm actually prepared to give Disney some slack there. Whilst not pleasant for those on board, I can't be too critical of the time to respond. Although sounds like communications could have been better (but again, that is no surprise to me - in the middle of an incident, communications are crucial, and lack of information is very common - in both directions).

Now, you may question the wisdom of having cars with no AC in them, for breakdowns in the sun in the middle of the day. But I believe that there is emergency cooling in each car that can operate for 4 hours (if what I read further up the thread is true). So if the cars get evacuated in 3 hours, that 4 hour emergency cooling should be adequate. So again, I'm not too critical of Disney here.
Emergency cooling?? Had no idea they had that whatever it is.

Emergency cooling?? Had no idea they had that whatever it is.
Just something I read in a previous post. Not sure what that might be, and the previous poster may well have been wrong. It wouldn't surprise me though - people getting stuck is a reasonably forseeable event, and they must have had some plan on how to keep people cool in the sweltering sun until they can be rescued.

What’s disappointing to me is the lack of communication from Disney to the trapped guests. Intercoms still playing an automated message. What a joke.

This company can’t build a proper website. What makes you think they can build a functioning Skyliner?

I agree, whatever the problem I think letting the people know what is going on and that help is on the way would relieve the anxiety level a bit. Nobody should have to ask on Twitter or FB to get info, Disney should be ashamed.

Sad that this happened. Hope WDW figures this out and soon, along with the frequent stops/slowdowns due to load/unloading issues. This really needs to work for Disney or else the cascade effect will impact the future monorail upgrade, DRR sales (now a moderate DVC w/o the Skyliner) and potential the EPCOT redo. We will be at BVR in Jan and plan on riding the Skyliner to check-out DRR and for the '3 hr stationary tour'.

Well looks like, as expected, they have the full system down today for inspections. Disney PR has also walked back from “not an accident” some and are being as open as PR folks normally get.

https://blogmickey.com/2019/10/disn...estigates-issue-leading-to-guest-evacuations/
That's more like it. Glad they have done this, and the only sensible course of action. I was surprised that they had continued running the system, but somebody has obviously seen sense.

This is just a all around sad situation. I have no idea how I would have been stuck up there. I might have been totally fine or maybe not. I can’t imagine. I just know I really don’t think I want to get on one of these. At least if u are stuck in a bus or monorail you have ac. I really don’t know what I think. But all I keep thinking about is being very hot and then that triggering something else. just sad. I mean you really can’t plan for something like this.
It’s just all around a bad situation. And as an annual pass holder I too would laught as a day pass and 100.00. And for those who say people just look for money or compensation at anything say what you want. Disney has it. The dollar increase in mugs could pay for it in 1 day woth purchases. Or all the other up charges.

If there is an a/c system when does it kick in? There are reports of people being stranded for 2 hours a couple of days ago and they said it was incredibly hot and miserable. Seems like if there is one it would have kicked in for them.
If there is in fact an a/c system, did anyone see any vents or a unit? I have my doubts to the validity of this information. Disney corporate has lost all sense.

I agree, whatever the problem I think letting the people know what is going on and that help is on the way would relieve the anxiety level a bit. Nobody should have to ask on Twitter or FB to get info, Disney should be ashamed.

And even if they are still working on figuring things out/don't know/don't want to fully say what issue is ... Even just more regular communication with people in the gondolas to let them know the lines of communication are open and they haven't been abandoned I think would help

I hope you're being sarcastic re: Disney's comment, and not serious! This is what blows me away re: what they're saying - a malfunction that leads to several cars crashing into each other is an accident.
Oh I didn’t realize it was a crash. I heard it was just a malfunction and people just got stuck on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter