Disney *Should* Be Ashamed

Disney cut this perk after the restart because they needed a way to control the crowds arriving at the terminal for PCR tests and to maintain physical distancing. It wasn't some kind of cost cutting thing or something that they did out of spite.

I suspect that this perk will remain suspended until Disney stops testing entirely.
That's good to know. Hopefully you're right and it comes back (actually right now I'm silver so it's better for me personally if it doesn't, but you know, eventually)

I have been unable to get any reservation for Palo brunch in 3 cruises (Fantasy and Wish), despite being online right at the window opening. We were also denied a reservation aboard the ship, which made the survey question referencing whether or not we knew we could be worked in all the more frustrating.
I have 3 upcoming cruises where I had zero issue getting Palo brunch at 120 days. Granted, none of the cruises are out of PC. I also had a cruise on the Fantasy where I booked at around 50 days out - no brunch slots and waitlisted onboard and still got nothing. I don’t know how that waitlist works as I’ve never been successful.

I think there are just too many platinums now to give the same Perks. I also think they are not exactly hurting for passengers, especially with the new ship so there is no motivation to change things.
Then why not make a new CC level to separate them out? Platinum Plus? Titanium? Or give a $45 OBC to Platinums instead of the Palo benefit? Increase the discount in the shops to 15%? There are other things Disney could do but they have just basically said “we don’t really care about platinum guests anymore” by taking away all the perks.

I'd rather have a $45 food and drink OBC than the Palo benefit.
Well, yeah. They offer the Palo benefit in the hopes that people will go to dinner at Palo, order wine for an upcharge, etc. Just giving people OBC is less potentially lucrative in comparison.

Good email. Where can we send an email to with our feedback? My comments never fit in the "comment" area of the survey card.
Login to the DCL site, & the last menu item is Help. First selection (I think) is general help. Top right of next loaded page has an email icon. This loads the bext page allowing you to fill out the form & type in your message. I've used this many times (other than griping) & had positive results. Not fast by any means, tho

Disney's full transition to middle of the night scrambles, using some of the most poorly designed and maintained tech in the hospitality industry, has become a black mark on their brand. They have become dependent on this lazy business model, without any consideration for the customer experience. The lack of vision from a company that used to cutting edge is sad. It's why we are taking a long break from the parks. DCL is still well worth it to us, but it's not a great start to the experience. Luckily, unlike the parks, at least you don't have to do the scramble once you are actually on the ship. That's why we tolerate it.

They should just let people book a PAT and excursions at the time of booking the cruise, rewarding early booking, avoiding overloaded the junky servers, and removing a stress point from an expensive experience. And their top tier loyalty program should always include anytime boarding. There is no reason booking PAT and other stuff needs to be tied to online check in.

Again, I love the DCL product, but can't understand how Disney thinks it's ok to simply ignore the customer experience at so many touch points when using their travel products these days.

They should just let people book a PAT and excursions at the time of booking the cruise, rewarding early booking, avoiding overloaded the junky servers, and removing a stress point from an expensive experience.
No way. A lot of people can't plan their vacations (plus all of their dining and excursions) that far in advance, for various reasons. It doesn't make sense to automatically reward early birds, but not seasoned cruisers. If anyone's going to get a reward, it should be those who have already cruised DCL in the past, not those whose jobs happen to allow them to plan time off a year and a half in advance.

Last edited:
No way. A lot of people can't plan their vacations (and especially all of their dining and excursions) that far in advance, for various reasons. It doesn't make sense to automatically reward early birds, but not seasoned cruisers. If anyone's going to get a reward, it should be those who have already cruised DCL in the past.
Hence, my comment about top tier boarding anytime. You can do that for everyone who has traveled DCL somewhat frequently because the group is too big. As for rewarding early bookings, other lines do it that way, and it makes a lot of sense. It benefits the cruise line to get people to book early too. It's a lot more fun booking the cruise and signing up for the excursions at the same time. It's a far superior experience to rewarding fast and lucky computer users. On our Med cruise, I, a lowly silver, was on the ship hours before some platinum cruisers just because I was fast at check in.

Hence, my comment about top tier boarding anytime.
It takes 10 cruises to get to platinum. Silver and gold should still get benefits, as well, so I (someone who has sailed 8 cruises) wouldn't be satisfied with only "top tier" getting benefits. DCL cruises are expensive, and those 8 cruises didn't come cheap.

Their old system worked fine. They just need to go back to it.

It takes 10 cruises to get to platinum. Silver and gold should still get preferential options, as well, so I (someone who has sailed 8 cruises) wouldn't be satisfied with only "top tier" getting benefits.

Their old system worked fine. They just need to go back to it.
I just don't love the race for large groups signing up for Disney stuff at the same time (whether it's DCL or the parks). It's stressful and comes down to whether you get lucky with the tech running smoothly. If you spread it out, it wouldn't be such an issue. Maybe PAT should just be assigned based on status. Fixing their terrible tech would help too. All I know is that planning a Disney trip shouldn't have these stressful touch points.

They should just let people book a PAT and excursions at the time of booking the cruise, rewarding early booking, avoiding overloaded the junky servers, and removing a stress point from an expensive experience. And their top tier loyalty program should always include anytime boarding. There is no reason booking PAT and other stuff needs to be tied to online check in.

I completely agree. Do any other cruises lines do it the same way as DCL?

Why is checking in and getting an early PAT so important to people?
You might be having a cardiac event over getting to port at 2 PM instead of 11 AM?

I guess to each their own - I couldn't care less about PAT's. I refuse to lose a second of sleep over it.

It is 1:09am, and I am still up trying to get a port arrival time for our cruise. Like a good little Disney citizen, I had all of my documents prepared and ready to go for check-in at midnight, only to find myself a frustrated participant in the PAT Hunger Games. This is my 18th cruise with Disney, and it will also be my last. I am sure I will never know why on earth they thought it was necessary to have Platinum cruisers check-in with everyone else. No Palo brunch, no PAT priority...not seeing too many perks these days. To top it all off, I get to stress myself silly taking a completely useless test 2 days in advance. Oh well, I'll never get dry this way. Have to run with the others.
I agree about the platinum perks, no checking in early, never getting PALO brunch till we get on the ship, always getting second seating….they have gone away.

I agree about the platinum perks, no checking in early, never getting PALO brunch till we get on the ship, always getting second seating….they have gone away.
Isn’t dining seating time based on when you book a cruise not on your status? Hasn’t it always been done that way?

The blue spinning circles have been an issue since last fall. So frustrating. I think it is because too many people are trying to check in at once. If you wait and check in the next morning, it has always been smooth sailing - maybe 5 minutes total. I will get a later PAT checking in the next morning, but I have always been able to modify the PAT to an earlier time.

I do agree with you though - there has to be a better way. Disney is dropping the ball with the everyone check in at midnight policy.
How can you modify the pat to an earlier time?

Why is checking in and getting an early PAT so important to people?
You might be having a cardiac event over getting to port at 2 PM instead of 11 AM?

I guess to each their own - I couldn't care less about PAT's. I refuse to lose a second of sleep over it.

An early PAT is just nice. You get to enjoy the ship for a couple extra hours, Cabanas isn't crowded yet, and the stress of travel ends as soon as you walk onto the ship. But it's not just PATs, it can also be a scramble for on board activities or popular excursions when your booking window opens.

And it's not just on DCL. Disney is requiring these late night or early morning stress events for so many of their experiences these days, such as getting a dinner reservation or Genie plus reservations. It's a lazy and uncreative way to handle high demand products.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter