Disney-scrolling as a comfort--am I abnormal?

Ursula J

Mouseketeer
Hi Dis fam,
Recently my husband and daughter (15) were making fun of me for being "obsessed" with reading about WDW and watching videos from bloggers like Nate (Paging Mr Morrow). My husband was half-joking but it made me feel ashamed. We don't get to go often--once a year if we're lucky--but I love being on DisBoards or reading articles/blogs. It makes me feel calm and hopeful. I have a lot of problems with depression and anxiety, and that's gotten a lot worse with the pandemic followed by menopause. I take care of my family, try to help my aging folks from a distance, work full-time...I feel like if I spend an hour or so a day Disney-scrolling, that's nothing terrible. Now I'm feeling embarrassed. Please tell me your thoughts. Anyone else follow Disney for "happy place" vibes, even when you're not getting ready for a trip?

Hi Dis fam,
Recently my husband and daughter (15) were making fun of me for being "obsessed" with reading about WDW and watching videos from bloggers like Nate (Paging Mr Morrow). My husband was half-joking but it made me feel ashamed. We don't get to go often--once a year if we're lucky--but I love being on DisBoards or reading articles/blogs. It makes me feel calm and hopeful. I have a lot of problems with depression and anxiety, and that's gotten a lot worse with the pandemic followed by menopause. I take care of my family, try to help my aging folks from a distance, work full-time...I feel like if I spend an hour or so a day Disney-scrolling, that's nothing terrible. Now I'm feeling embarrassed. Please tell me your thoughts. Anyone else follow Disney for "happy place" vibes, even when you're not getting ready for a trip?

Hey, there's no shame in it. Reading hte DIS is how I get my fix when I'm not on a trip. I really enjoy it and it provides breaks from my day. There's nothing wrong with it - it's like any other hobby. You're a Disney fan, and that's all good! :earsboy:

Don’t feel embarrassed or guilty. It’s your hobby! Nothing wrong with that.

Well, I spent my time during chemotherapy bidding on Disney pins on eBay, so you'll get no shaming from me. Whatever works....
I also meditated and put myself on my favorite Disney vacation during my chemo infusions.

Powerful stuff!

(And congrats on Survivorship!)

OP, don’t be embarrassed about liking Disney, or the fact that it calms you. It sounds like you have a well rounded life and are not ignoring your real life responsibilities to spend the entire day scrolling Disney sites. How is what you are doing any different from people who like sports or other hobbies? Everyone has to cope with life in their own way, and so long as what you are doing is in moderation and harms no one, go for it.

I can sympathize though. I have also endured remarks from people about liking Disney as an adult, from people who were much deeper into their own particular hobbies than I was with mine. I choose to think they are jealous.

🙋‍♀️ I'm right there with you. Always scrolling on these boards and watch Disney Vlogs just about every day. I also follow Nate and a few others.
If you haven't watched 4K WDW, check it out. It's a person who goes all over Disney property and films, the person doesn't speak,it's just whatever noise is going on in the background. Nate - Paging Mr. Morrow (when it's just him) is great, too!

"Normal" is a construct - what does it even mean, really?

As someone who's struggled with depression in the past, I've learned that there's tremendous value in finding things that make you feel good.

I spend a lot of time researching and keeping up with what's going on at Disney Parks because they're the source of some of the greatest memories I've made with my family. It's really our home away from home, and it feels like we can check the world's worries at the gates when we arrive. Keeping up with related news, rumors, board like this, etc. give me a little bit of that escapism in my everyday life even when I'm not there.

Other people have other things - maybe it's a book series or TV show or blog or website they consume regularly. Sure, your fascination might seem "odd" to someone who doesn't share it to the extent you do, but I'm sure that your family cares about your mental health and wellbeing. I'd encourage you to share some of your "why" and explaining that it helps bring you happiness, because ultimately, I'm sure that's what they care about the most.

It's a hobby like any other, so I wouldn't be ashamed. I'm on the DIS a lot, mostly here on the Community board although I lurk in the other boards as well. I have an anxiety disorder, and I too find it calming and most of all, *fun.* I follow Mammoth Club because I like their content and they have Molly who used to be with AllEars, always a plus. If you were following anything else as a thing you do for pleasure, you probably wouldn't get hassled for it. There are people (I live with a couple) who think my interest in all things Disney is weird, especially my frequent trips to WDW. But they go to Mexico every year and I don't tell them they're strange!

Do what makes you happy. You're not hurting anyone.

Hi Dis fam,
Both my DD19 and I do all the time - she even looks at the ride times during the day just for the fun of it. Sometimes I'll get a text at work saying.....Mom, Jungle Cruise is only 20 minutes! :rotfl:

I've been a member of the DIS Boards for 18 years and now my DD is too, even though she doesn't post anything, she just likes doing my polls and reading threads.

We both, either together, or on our own, watch Resort TV1 (on YouTube) on a regular basis - we love sitting in the comfort of our home, in our pjs, watching their Friday Night Live Videos - I even send them money from time to time, because I'm so appreciative of what they do.

I can go on and on about how much Disney stuff we do all the time, and I'm here to tell you.........
THERE'S NO SHAME IN IT AT ALL!!!!

Everyone needs to find something that gives them joy.
One time my DH said to DD19 and I......OMG, Disney again?!
I told him....what's the difference between us talking Disney, or watching Disney and you watching and talking about auto racing with your Dad or with your friend? There's no difference at all!!!
He never said anything sarcastic again, because he knew I was right. (He likes Disney, he just doesn't feel the need to talk about it and watch it all the time, and that's ok).

So…...you continue doing you, and continue enjoying your Disney stuff - we all have to have something that gives us joy :goodvibes

Last edited:
I’m 60 and a housewife. I also suffer from anxiety. I LOVE to watch Disney vloggers on YouTube. I do it all the time. I follow about a dozen of them. Paging Mr. Morrow is one of my favorites. At night when my husband is watching something stupid on tv I get comfy on the couch. Plug my headphones into my tablet and watch away. They make me feel good and I don’t care what anybody thinks.

Sounds familiar :)

Disney has been a "happy place" - even a momentary, temporary escape - for our family from a horrific divorce, a family member with severe addiction and incarceration, criminal acts impacting our family, the long term illness of my mom and her death, and a life-threatening health diagnosis....not to mention just...life and stress.

I remember asking my kids' counselor if our once a year Disney trip, and our planning/talking about it for months before (even listening to Disney soundtracks) and watching DFB and other videos...if this was healthy for the kids? I was assured it was completely healthy. When my mom died, we became Passholders for two years, with multiple trips. Again, I asked about the wisdom of our strategy, and was told that it was a healthy way to allow us to relax, smile, and enjoy life and time together while creating memories. So, in summary, the "professionals" said it was perfectly healthy; and...it worked.

So, carry on without guilt. It's a hobby, like many others. We've also found ways to share the joy, by bringing guests with us, and planning trips with/for others.

As a small side note, that may be why some of Disney's less magical changes hurt my heart a little; but with some of the recent changes announced, I choose to be hopeful that the Disney of our memories may still be attainable. Turn on Happily Ever After, and enjoy your time :) Hugs.

I've been on DisBoards for a number of years now, some years much more active than others. Generally find that I post/interact a lot A) when I have a trip coming up soon or B) when things elsewhere in my life rougher; Disney scrolling becomes soothing in those circumstances. I was on here a lot when the DH and I split. I'm on a lot again now since I'm halfway through chemo. Don't let others' judgement of your hobbies ruin your enjoyment of them.

Thank you all so, so much. I feel a million times better, and I wish I could hug everyone here. I end up feeling so isolated sometimes. I'll definitely check out the 4K WDW videos and Resorts TV.
Love to all. I just needed to feel connected to others who share my love.
And yes, I'm hopeful that the new changes will bring back some of the traditional Disney magic.
xoxo

Thank you all so, so much. I feel a million times better, and I wish I could hug everyone here. I end up feeling so isolated sometimes. I'll definitely check out the 4K WDW videos and Resorts TV.
Love to all. I just needed to feel connected to others who share my love.
And yes, I'm hopeful that the new changes will bring back some of the traditional Disney magic.
xoxo
Definitely check out Josh & Jenna (brother & sister) with Resort TV1 on YouTube.
We love them and I hope you enjoy them too :goodvibes

BEE068D6-ED24-412E-BEDE-24B154940123.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter