Disney Riviera Resort

The one bedroom units made me think of another possible "hook". What if the resort was built as all studios? There is definitely some market research available that would show studio rooms near DHS/EPCOT would be popular...
That's what they did w/ the Poly essentially, my sense is that despite what the bean counters see - which is that studios book first - by limiting choice to studios you lose a huge swath of potential purchasers who want larger units for multigenerational vacations. And unlike the Poly, with it's very loyal fan club and iconic status, this new resort will be starting from scratch, so my guess is a studio only DVC next door to CBR would be a slow seller.
The one thing they could do is what AKV has, club villas - there aren't many of them and they share w/ Jambo club rooms, but those villas book really fast, most times even as an owner they're hard to book at 11 months and they cost a lot of points. So having a CL booking category perhaps located on the highest floor below the open to the public restaurant at the Riviera might generate sales. The resort's dues would pay for operations, so it shouldn't add cost, and many people love staying CL.

That's what they did w/ the Poly essentially, my sense is that despite what the bean counters see - which is that studios book first - by limiting choice to studios you lose a huge swath of potential purchasers who want larger units for multigenerational vacations. And unlike the Poly, with it's very loyal fan club and iconic status, this new resort will be starting from scratch, so my guess is a studio only DVC next door to CBR would be a slow seller.
The one thing they could do is what AKV has, club villas - there aren't many of them and they share w/ Jambo club rooms, but those villas book really fast, most times even as an owner they're hard to book at 11 months and they cost a lot of points. So having a CL booking category perhaps located on the highest floor below the open to the public restaurant at the Riviera might generate sales. The resort's dues would pay for operations, so it shouldn't add cost, and many people love staying CL.

The CL idea is one we discussed as well. I agree, it would be a draw for sure. Time will tell what they will actually do- I think a few of us here are concerned that it won't be enough to offset the location for the price they are going to charge.

I agree. I was replying about what would make the restaurant a selling point- and I think the fireworks view + DVC exclusive might work as one for the restaurant as a whole. I have also said that I don't realistically think this is something they will do. We were having fun spitballing what it would take and is feasible at DRR. I've said repeatedly that I think they will simply do the minimum and rely on the gondolas to sell the resort- even though I personally think it will take more than that given its location.

The one bedroom units made me think of another possible "hook". What if the resort was built as all studios? There is definitely some market research available that would show studio rooms near DHS/EPCOT would be popular...

I hope not (all studios)--- and I don't think it will happen that way-- Poly was just because they didn't want to add the construction cost of room types, IMO.

This is all new-- They can't get people hooked on larger accommodations if they don't offer them....and studios are not very "delux"...

You think so? .... except for christmas and spring break they go for from 17 to 23 ppn---- I think that is low for club level.... less than a lot of resorts....

I hope not (all studios)--- and I don't think it will happen that way-- Poly was just because they didn't want to add the construction cost of room types, IMO.

This is all new-- They can't get people hooked on larger accommodations if they don't offer them....and studios are not very "delux"...

Sure they are- the reservation already tells you it is a "deluxe studio". :rolleyes1

You think so? .... except for christmas and spring break they go for from 17 to 23 ppn---- I think that is low for club level.... less than a lot of resorts....

So what if they made the rooms larger studios- large enough to be really deluxe- and added the club level perk?

Again, I'm just throwing out some ideas as to what might make this resort interesting to buy in that location. My personal opinion is that it's going to be a typical resort that has a price too high for the location- that Disney is only going to do what they deem necessary- and that is not more than what the DVC resorts currently have.

You might be right. I just know that this would preclude our family from ever staying there. I suspect that might shut out too large a market.

You might be right. I just know that this would preclude our family from ever staying there. I suspect that might shut out too large a market.

True, but it would fit the "do the minimum but add a hook". People getting shut out from studios at BW/BC could be "just a gondola ride away from the action"! Personally, even with 3 of us, I prefer the 1 BR villa.

I think the only reason AKV got Club Level was because of the space trade at Jambo. They have actively avoided it everywhere else since. I think committing to anything beyond a room for 50 years is operationally risky, even were they to have 100% control on the amenity (as they would have at BLT, Poly if they'd added Club at Pago Pago, or even VGF putting a suite in the villas building).

Even at AKV if the main resort someday eliminates CL, they will have to absorb those points elsewhere, and the rooms will all revert to Standard because their views are weak at best.

I should have said for AKV, where value studios start at 9 points. But you have a point, the upgrade to CL pt.s wise is on par w/ a few other DVC resorts, particularly some of the upgraded views. Someone w/ an Econ degree needs to explain the whole why DVC elects to set points where they set them. Why is Copper Creek less than Poly, for ex.?
When they were building VGF I wondered if they'd make it CL as they have Sugar Loaf as a separate CL building already, but they didn't so I don't expect it w/ Riviera, but it's a possibility to add 'something' special to the new resort.

The poly rooms are readily available...I think what they thought would be an easy book with all studios - that was done to save costs too as the 1970 construct buildings weren't meant for 1s and 2s anyway - has not been.

People have gotten used to the options...dvc has kinda made it's bed.

Last edited:
The reason the "club level" rooms at animal kingdom book fast...is because they have 8 of them...I believe.

I don't think dvc would be interested in giving snacks to 100 studios a day...

(Yes...they are that cheap...)

Close-- there's 10-- 5 studios and 5 one bedrooms, so at the 17 to 23 ppn level there is 5.....

I like that DVC only uses the TOWL--- I would love a similar thing at DRR-- but I still wouldn't buy in. As long as they have one bedroom units, there will always be 7 month availability.

TOWL is interesting because it was originally marketed as an amenity that would be exclusive to BLT guests. I'm quite sure that some people bought points at BLT to take advantage of that "perk."

Then when DVC realized how under-utilized it still was with the resort fully sold-out, they opened it to all owners.

I think any future offer of owner exclusivity is going to be greeted with skepticism. Fool me once...

It doesn't help that the food prep facilities they constructed at BLT essentially amount to a microwave and a hot plate.

The poly rooms are readily available...I think what they thought would be an easy book with all studios - that was done to save costs too as the 1970 construct buildings weren't meant for 1s and 2s anyway - has not been.

It was absolutely done to save costs. But DVC did have a studio deficiency system-wide. As they've expanded marketing over the years to include people on tighter budgets (selling smaller contracts), demand for studios has grown. Adding a resort with 300 studios has probably helped more than it's hurt.

But it wasn't a flawless plan. Some don't like the Poly as a destination. But enough people like it that it's starting to fill up regularly at 6-7 months, which effectively creates Studio openings elsewhere.

They hurt the market for Poly points by not offering 1B and 2B villas. But sales-wise the resort is doing surprisingly well after a slow start. It will be "sold out" before the end of the year, and DVC definitely has options on the table to build new facilities on Poly grounds with larger villas.

Last edited:
I guessed...

...the point is that 10 units out of a total 350 or so is a complete hoax
Can't imagine how it's a hoax. Who are they fooling? They have small block in pretty high demand. Seems pretty good.

TOWL is interesting because it was originally marketed as an amenity that would be exclusive to BLT guests. I'm quite sure that some people bought points at BLT to take advantage of that "perk."
You might be right! Just one data point: we couldn't possibly have cared less about TOWL. We've been up there once since we bought, which was when they first started selling.

HOWEVER: we book MK view rooms. Something to consider, perhaps: assume that most (many??) people in rooms that already have the view won't care about a little lounge.

Maybe a full restaurant would be different? Not to us... we book Cal Grill probably once every other trip (so once a year) -- just because we like the restaurant. Since we book a room with a view, that isn't a draw to the restaurant.

Just adding this thought when thinking about whether a restaurant at DRR would stay booked.

Can't imagine how it's a hoax. Who are they fooling? They have small block in pretty high demand. Seems pretty good.

You might be right! Just one data point: we couldn't possibly have cared less about TOWL. We've been up there once since we bought, which was when they first started selling.

HOWEVER: we book MK view rooms. Something to consider, perhaps: assume that most (many??) people in rooms that already have the view won't care about a little lounge.

Maybe a full restaurant would be different? Not to us... we book Cal Grill probably once every other trip (so once a year) -- just because we like the restaurant. Since we book a room with a view, that isn't a draw to the restaurant.

Just adding this thought when thinking about whether a restaurant at DRR would stay booked.

10 units isn't a legitimate booking category...it's not useful.

I'm actually surprised at this. I believe David's mirrors this in their When To Book part of the rental site. Their studios are huge too.

10 units isn't a legitimate booking category...it's not useful.
I don't understand this logic. It's not large. How is it not legitimate? Maybe that's all they will legitimately keep booked up with certainty. It's certainly legitimate for the 10 families in there at any point in time.

I don't understand this logic. It's not large. How is it not legitimate? Maybe that's all they will legitimately keep booked up with certainty. It's certainly legitimate for the 10 families in there at any point in time.

How is this hard to follow? If it's 10 rooms...it doesn't provide adequate supply to be of use. Disney has over 30,000 rooms in its inventory each night...10?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter