• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this may have pushed me over the edge finally. I'm completely fine paying upcharges when I get something extra, but I am not fine with this. I think I'll be taking a break from Disney for a while after this trip. I may change my mind after I calm down, but I guess we will see.

Lol y’all crack me up. Several posters say “after this trip”. If it really bothered you that bad cancel this trip. :-)

We used to stay religiously 2 weeks every year onsite at a Disney resort. With all the cutbacks, price increases and up selling, we are down to 1 week and will most likely look elsewhere next year. Say what you will but a Disney vacation is getting way too expensive and we make a decent income. Over the past few years, we have booked vacations elsewhere and only give Disney half of what we used to spend there. Don't feel like we are getting our money's worth as we did in the past. It's corporate greed at it's finest. They care nothing about how it affects the average family trying to take their kids to have a good time. All they care about is their bottom line. Until people refuse the price gouging, up sells and price increases, they will continue to do it. Just wait until Star Wars opens. You have't seen anything yet!

I keep reading this that Disney has plenty of parking. I know sometimes when we drive and stay at WL I have (not exaggerating) drove around the lot 30 minutes waiting for someone to leave so I could get a free parking spot. Had the same problem with YC. No problem at all at POR though. With that said I’m not defending the decisions just stating what I have experienced that some places have limited parking.

That's because people park there free and go to the Magic Kingdom. They are the ones they should be charging! Do a validation for people who are at the hotel for dining or shopping.

And while DVC appears to be exempt I 100% expect the annual maintenance fee per point to increase accordingly.

We are already paying for parking lot maintenance in dues. That's why by law they can't charge us to use an amenity that we are already paying for.

It doesn't affect us since we fly and are DVC, but it still seems like such a boneheaded move. Everyone expects and accepts that rates will rise with time, so why not just tick up the rates a bit, if there is an issue with revenue or capacity? Why take away something that has long been one of the few "free" perks of staying on property? Just seems like a terrible marketing decision, but I guess with Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge coming, they are going to have more than enough people coming to take the place of anyone for whom this is a dealbreaker.

I went ballistic when I read this... fired off a crappy email to guest services, tweets, etc. This affects me because we drive to WDW each time and I use that money saved on flying 5 people doing more at the parks or upgrading a room. In the grand scheme of things I can afford it however its just more of the nickel and diming stuff. I can't do a damn thing about it other than not go. My next planned trip is 2019 and we are too far in to planning with multiple families to put my foot down on this so likely this lemming will make one more trip.

This one just leaves a sour taste in my mouth....

I agree. We typically stay at a deluxe for 11 / 12 nights. $300 is a lot of money to park my car and not take up public transit space for my family of 5. I also pave to pay about $400 for the rental car!

I keep reading this that Disney has plenty of parking. I know sometimes when we drive and stay at WL I have (not exaggerating) drove around the lot 30 minutes waiting for someone to leave so I could get a free parking spot. Had the same problem with YC. No problem at all at POR though. With that said I’m not defending the decisions just stating what I have experienced that some places have limited parking.

They have plenty of parking for hotel guests. It’s the people who shop/dine/park at the resorts to avoid paying at the parks that cause the problem.

I will say that when we stayed at WL last year, we never had a problem finding a spot. It wasn’t always a close spot, but a spot nonetheless.

We used to stay religiously 2 weeks every year onsite at a Disney resort. With all the cutbacks, price increases and up selling, we are down to 1 week and will most likely look elsewhere next year. Say what you will but a Disney vacation is getting way too expensive and we make a decent income. Over the past few years, we have booked vacations elsewhere and only give Disney half of what we used to spend there. Don't feel like we are getting our money's worth as we did in the past. It's corporate greed at it's finest. They care nothing about how it affects the average family trying to take their kids to have a good time. All they care about is their bottom line. Until people refuse the price gouging, up sells and price increases, they will continue to do it. Just wait until Star Wars opens. You have't seen anything yet!

I agree with you that they are getting to expensive and can’t stay as long as usual but there will always be people replacing us. I save to go to Disney and pay outright. I’d be willing to guess those that have no fianacial education are in debt up to their eyeballs with credit card debt making their monthly minimum payment.

I sent my email. I'm curious about what kind of responses we will get (after the canned one, of course).

We always rent a car because we've had such bad experiences with the buses. Guess it makes more sense to Uber/Lyft now.

Official info straight from a Disney CM RE: Disabled Guest Parking and the new Fee

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

Disabled valet parking was free at the resorts. How will this work with the new charges? (of course after you register the car with the required documents)

I just changed from WL to the Hilton Lake Buena Vista. Still have shuttle, EMH and fast pass 60 days out. Was booked 5 days at the end of May. My cost went from $2,007 at WL (this was WITH an AP discount mind you) to $795.00 at Hilton.

Please ignore my ignorance-
However; I had no idea emh were available with offsite stays?!

So, you are able to book fp+ at 60 days and have emh perks?
Is this with all the disney springs linked good neighbor hotels?

We will definitely never stay onsite again if this is the case for such savings..

Lol y’all crack me up. Several posters say “after this trip”. If it really bothered you that bad cancel this trip. :-)

Not sure why that would be so surprising or hilarious? Many have already told their family of the these plans and don't want to disappoint. In our personal situation, we cancelled a Disney trip last summer for a different trip after telling DD we were going to Disney. She was disappointed so we promised we would do it for our vacation this summer. I'm not going back on my word to my daughter because I think Disney is being shortsighted and ridiculous with their nickel-and-diming. It will, however, effect my plans going forward. We fly and take ME/Disney busses, so we won't be paying for parking. My issue is that, as we've experienced with DCL, Disney likes to change the terms after we've purchased a product. This makes me not trust them and no want to give them more of my money going forward. I will deal with it for one more trip because of my promise to DD and then we're done.

I’m not cancelling this trip because the parking will still be free. I will look offsite after that.

The reason I said after this trip is because we don't have to pay for parking this trip.

I think that was DisneyArkie's point...if it REALLY bothered you THAT much, you'd cancel a trip when you still qualified for the benefit, instead of waiting until after.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter