• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney rash?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
Is this as common at DL as it is at WDW?

In all of out trips to WDW in the past, I had never heard about it. Last year, I had it bad on both legs. It started out small and by the 5th day it was horrible. I still have an area that you can still see. The dr said that the blood vessels have been stained and it probably won't go away.

We're planning a trip to DL but we're only spending 2 day and then we will go to San Diego for 4 days. I'm just hoping that I don't get the rash again.

This is a good question - I have also fallen victim to the rash (I read somewhere that it's from reflective specs in the walkways at MK specifically) and am curious is this is a DL problem too...

You can call it whatever you want but the only place I've ever gotten this rash is at Disney World! And I've been lots of places where several days of intense walking was required! It was horrible and got uglier every day. I, too, can still see the marks on my ankles. I guess it's never going completely away.

I got "the rash" last July at WDW, but didn't get it in February even after doing the 10K. I hope I don't get it at DL in May. I was miserable. Does the temperature have an effect?

Thanks for the link. I hope I never get that! I also wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature or humidity.

I have gotten this but I think in my case it is too much weight on the legs. I never wear shorts. Seemed to happen from carrying heavy loads at work, and walking up and down stairs, all indoors. Maybe also being a little overweight, 165 on a 5' 7'' frame when I used to be 140 never got it.

I should clarify that I know that Disney didn't give me the rash. I called it that because that was the name first aid gave me in the MK. I know it's from the heat reflecting. She said it usually happens to people over 50 ( I had just had my 50th) My rash was really bad. Much worse than any of the pictures on the link. They say it shouldn't hurt but it felt like it was absorbing the heat and on fire when we're were at MK. It wasn't as painful at other parks. It took over a month for the raised area to go down and several more moths for the redness to fade. I do wear short and usually sandals. My family would disown me if I wore compression sock :scared: I was just wondering if it's as common at DL. We will be there the first week of Aug. ( the same week we were in WDW last year). On the upside, my DD found a hidden Mickey in the rash.

I've never had it at DL, only at WDW, and boy is it uncomfortable. Elevated legs and ice packs help.

To the OP: since your doctor knows you've had the rash before, would s/he give you a travel prescription just in case? There is a pharmacy at the CVS on Katella and Harbor where you could get it filled quickly. Or maybe you could get a Rx filled before you leave, then just keep the medication in your travel bag. If you don't need to use the Rx, great! But if you do get the rash, you'll be able to put something on it ASAP. We have travel meds in the bag on every trip, and they've saved the day many times.

To the OP: since your doctor knows you've had the rash before, would s/he give you a travel prescription just in case? There is a pharmacy at the CVS on Katella and Harbor where you could get it filled quickly. Or maybe you could get a Rx filled before you leave, then just keep the medication in your travel bag. If you don't need to use the Rx, great! But if you do get the rash, you'll be able to put something on it ASAP. We have travel meds in the bag on every trip, and they've saved the day many times.
There is no Rx for it since it's enlarged red blood cells. The only way that I've heard to prevent it is to wear compression socks like they give you in the hospital to prevent blood clots.
I'm glad to hear that it's not as common at DL as it is at WDW.

Wow! I've gotten this plenty of times at DW, but never knew what it was called or that other people have also gotten it. I thought I was just weird! We usually go in August so it's always hot and humid. The one time I went in April with DD I didn't get it. I always assumed it was some kind of heat rash. The last time we were there it was the worst it's ever been. Thanks Jerryp49 for the link!

...The only way that I've heard to prevent it is to wear compression socks like they give you in the hospital to prevent blood clots...

Well, at least compression socks aren't as dull as they used to be (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fashion+compression+socks&sprefix=fashion+compress,aps,187). And I've seen people wearing the compression sleeves on their arms and legs at DLR, so that shouldn't be any big deal. I think most people would think you had some sort of sport injury.

I get this every year and every year it seems to be worse than the year before. I found that elevating my legs at night as well as putting cold wet washcloths on them helps. To minimize the redness I try to cover my legs before going out for the day with baby powder it covers somewhat so they don't look so red.

It happens to some people who are walking more than normal. It usually happens when it is hot out. My understanding is it is a combo of vasculitis and heat rash. My son has had it playing golf, but never at Disneyland. My daughter uses compression socks in the park, but that was after she shattered her leg last year, and it helps prevent swelling. They have some really nice and cute ones these days. She get from Pro Compression. She started wearing them for marathons, but found them helpful for long days in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter