Disney Quarterly Earnings and Say goodbye to Disney Infinity

Are we hitting a price plateau?

I'd say that's likely one cause of the attendance flattening.

Right now, Disney is still in a transition phase. While we're getting some new things in DAK, Avatarland is still not yet open, DHS is a mess, and Epcot has been stagnant for a while. I'm curious if the lack of new might be behind it as well.

Right now, Disney is still in a transition phase. While we're getting some new things in DAK, Avatarland is still not yet open, DHS is a mess, and Epcot has been stagnant for a while. I'm curious if the lack of new might be behind it as well.

Agreed, price increases, cost cutting, and construction all play a major part into that. I'm not surprised at all.

I don't quite know where to post this, but I think this is the right place?? Hopefully it is, so sorry if it's not. Anyways, I found a clip of Soarin' Around the World that contains eleven seconds of the new score and footage.
This is the clip.
Also, it might sound like the original, but there's a little difference at the end of the clip.
Again, so sorry if i didn't post this in the right place!!

I don't quite know where to post this, but I think this is the right place?? Hopefully it is, so sorry if it's not. Anyways, I found a clip of Soarin' Around the World that contains eleven seconds of the new score and footage.
This is the clip.
Also, it might sound like the original, but there's a little difference at the end of the clip.
Again, so sorry if i didn't post this in the right place!!
There was a full video posted on the news thread. The score of the new film is new but pays tribute to the old film.

Revenue for Disney Park is up but attendance is flat...

Yeah imagine that. Let's see if them inflating everything maintains their revenue expectations. I'm sure the guys in the board room are like 'well we're still UP so who cares if attendance is down'.

Any word on Playmation? Is that from the same development group as Infinity. My family loves Playmation, but I'm a bit worried, especially seeing the low prices for the gear on Amazon right now.

I would say for sure.

I am sure a lot of families that are "in the know" purposely delayed their vacation to later this year to make sure they would be there for Rivers of Light and Frozen and new Soaring.

I am sure a lot more families may be delaying their vacation until at least ONE of the new lands opens.

Article from the Orlando Sentinel today had some additional attendance and hotel occupancy details: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-earnings-20160510-story.html

Of note:

"Per-guest spending at the domestic theme parks jumped 8 percent. Per-room spending at hotels increased 5 percent. Hotel occupancy declined 1 percentage point to 88 percent.

"Domestic resort reservations are pacing up 5 percent so far this quarter, while booked rates are down 2 percent, Disney said."

Also interesting: "Overall, other theme park companies with an Orlando presence have also seen attendance slowdowns."

I've been reading some news about the stock also, and most analysts/sources are seeing attendance as stable, and theme parks not a problem. So, I fear things will have to get worse for Disney to take notice to the kinds of concerns we have here on the boards.

Not surprised so see them totally close Disney Interactive. License the IP's to other game developers like EA for Star Wars, put all the risk and finance on them and pocket the rewards. Makes total sense.

Interesting to see the other eastern parks potentially getting 2nd gates. Thats a lot of park investment worldwide overall. I think im being selfish in that while they are doing a lot at WDW, I think there's so much more they can do to bring it up to scratch.

Disneyland Paris is finally getting the love it deserves with a total refurb with bringing the standards right up in the hope they will then move to more new attractions at Paris

Article from the Orlando Sentinel today had some additional attendance and hotel occupancy details: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-earnings-20160510-story.html

Of note:

"Domestic resort reservations are pacing up 5 percent so far this quarter, while booked rates are down 2 percent, Disney said."

Someone is going to have to explain this one to me. What's the difference between "resort reservations" and "booked rates"? Or maybe this means reservations from travelers coming from within the US are up 5% but overall reservations are down 2% (probably due primarily to Brazil's economic difficulties)?

Someone is going to have to explain this one to me. What's the difference between "resort reservations" and "booked rates"? Or maybe this means reservations from travelers coming from within the US are up 5% but overall reservations are down 2% (probably due primarily to Brazil's economic difficulties)?
That might be it. I'm not exactly sure either.

Booked Rates is probably Disney Terminology for REVPAR, which is standard in the hotel industry for rate per available room. Its used as a way of measuring the average rate at which a resort is booked. It sounds like bookings are up 5% while prices slipped 2%

I *think* it means that there are 5% more reservations overall, but they are at 2% lower rates (price). Not sure though. If that's correct, it means they are not able to command quite the same rate although they are running slightly more full hotels. This could be due to people booking more lower-end resorts vs. higher end (including fewer Concierge-level bookings), discounting, etc. We don't know that part but can only speculate why.

My guess is that pricing has peaked due to the massive increases in the last 2-3 years. Maybe they can't keep pace especially on the higher-end properties.

Last edited:
After the success of Battlefront (and Disney Crossy Road!), I'm not surprised Disney is pivoting to licensing and not developing. Developing games is hard and expensive. Sell licenses and let those with the experience make the games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter