Disney princesses- when does it start?

The only princesses my dd was into were Ariel and Pocahontas and that was when she was 2.5. I tried to expose her to the others, especially Snow White since she's my favorite but my dd was never interested. By the time she had her first trip to WDW she was past the princess stage all together :sad1:
I'd keep your plans the way they are. Your dd can meet the princesses while there and the next time you can eat with them if she is into them.

We have the Sing Along Princess videos that Disney put out. They have some of the more popular songs from the movies. So although kiddo wouldn't sit through an entire movie, she would watch the Princesses singing. When we took her at 3.5 she knew them all.
I would make the reservation. You can always cancel and just see them in Town Square, but she could really develop an interest any time now. If she does and you don't have the res, getting one may be impossible at that point.

I think it depends. My son is in LOVE with the princesses and he just turned 2. But we watch the princess movies all the time (he has wanted to watch B&tB the last 6 days straight). He has a huge crush on Rapunzel. I would book her a reservation 180 days out and start introducing the movies to her.

When we took our 15 month old daughter we knew she was well acquainted with the Fab Five, Pooh & Friends, and several Disney Jr. shows. But she surprised us when she saw "Awohwa" (Aurora) and called her by name (sort of) when she saw her behind the castle.

My DD will be a week away from 3 when we go in September, and we're going to do CRT and Chef Mickey's. I wasn't sure about CRT since she was not into the princesses too much. But she just got some princess stickers and underwear and seems to like them, so we're going to try... In a way, I booked it for myself too, so that I can see the inside of the castle.

(Now if Doc McStuffins was at a character meal, I would've book that for sure...)

My daughter likes the princesses, and sparkly things, jewellery, etc., but she loves animals more. As much as she like the princesses she is obsessed with Simba, Nala, Koda, Kovu, Kiera, Lady, Tramp, Marie, Pluto, Bambi, etc. She is 9 now and that has not changed. You never know, your daughter may continue to prefer other Disney characters over the princesses.

Full disclosure: I have not been to Disney yet, however, I know from dealing with my 1.7 year old that what he want's is not actually as important as what I want. Toddlers will really go with the flow and work with what you give them. So, if you like Disney princesses, then definitely take her to CRT because the pictures you get of her will be priceless even if she's not a huge Disney princess fan later in life. However, if you aren't that into Disney princesses, then don't take her as she won't really care either way at this point. Anything you show her will be awesome. Enjoy having that control while you still do.

We took my older daughter to see Tangled when she was 2.5, and her love of princesses grew from there. We didn't do a princess meal until she was old enough to know who they are. Now we can't go without doing one. My little one, on the other hand, is 20 months and can identify all the princesses by name, but that's her big sister's influence. :)

For my girls, the love of Minnie and Mickey came before the love of Princesses. At that age (~2-3), my girls would have enjoyed Chef Mickey's more......by far. Now at ages 4 and 6, we are going to do CRT in a few months. Since we go every year or two, we can pick these experiences based on what they are interested in at the time of the vacation. If you only ever plan on going to WDW one time, maybe do both so you have the photos and memories to last forever.

My daughter is 15 and I am still waiting for her to be into princesses!

You sound just like my mum! She's always wanted a princessy girl..ha, no. At least my dad got his sporty kid! My younger brother is more into video games than princesses or sports...

Mine just recently really got into princesses, maybe 6 months ago? She turned 5 Monday, and we leave for our first WDW trip on Saturday!

(I might have steered her towards princesses a bit in anticipation of this trip!!!;))

Little girls don't HAVE to love the princesses though. There wasn't this big princess craze when I was small, I loved movies like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc but wasn't obsessed with them.

I would keep Chef Mickeys. Let her get into the princesses when she wants- show her the classic movies and see if she's interested.

There wasn't this big princess craze when I was small, I loved movies like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty etc but wasn't obsessed with them.

Disney started the Disney Princess marketing in the late 90's and it blew up sometime around 2003-04; before that there wasn't common merchandising and promotion and nobody related the various characters to each other very much.

Disney started the Disney Princess marketing in the late 90's and it blew up sometime around 2003-04; before that there wasn't common merchandising and promotion and nobody related the various characters to each other very much.

Yeah, now they seem to even market them as friends! Some of them aren't part of the group yet.... Like Merida and Sophia.

They could merge some "boys" characters- Wreck it Ralph driving Cars, Pinocchio flying Planes.... Feel free to use these Disney!

You do realize that it doesn't HAVE to be a thing, right? Indulge the other characters. Heck, if you avoid shoving all the princess stuff down her throat you'll probably save yourself a ton of money in the long run. It's not like Dis Jr. and the other characters at Disney are chopped liver (well, except for the ducks who seems to be discriminated against in terms of merchandise).

You do realize that it doesn't HAVE to be a thing, right? Indulge the other characters. Heck, if you avoid shoving all the princess stuff down her throat you'll probably save yourself a ton of money in the long run. It's not like Dis Jr. and the other characters at Disney are chopped liver (well, except for the ducks who seems to be discriminated against in terms of merchandise).

Believe me, I'm in no hurry to get her into the princesses. I was just curious as to how and when other little girls got into it. If she is never interested in them then that is fine. I wasn't sure if I should book CRT for our trip next year because even though she's not into them now, she may be next April. I know it can turn into an expensive habit...:-/

stevesgirl said:
Believe me, I'm in no hurry to get her into the princesses. I was just curious as to how and when other little girls got into it. If she is never interested in them then that is fine. I wasn't sure if I should book CRT for our trip next year because even though she's not into them now, she may be next April. I know it can turn into an expensive habit...:-/

In that case I say book it and cancel if she isn't in to it by then, that way you have it just in case.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but what about Princess Sofia? She's on Disney Junior and the shows are shorter.

My DD doesn't have much choice in being a fan of the princesses. I am a huge fan and I named her after one of them. :) Although if you ask my DH she is named for a Foo Fighter Song NOT a Disney Princess. :rotfl2:

We did CRT back in 2006 when my DD was only 16mo old. She has no memory of it, just pictures from meeting Cinderella downstairs, although she absolutely LOVED the mice. We just really wanted to get inside the castle so it was more for me than her. :)

We are going to do CRT this year because we won't be visiting Disney for a long time :sad1: My DD is 8 and my DS is 6. They are really going to enjoy getting inside the castle and that is my main reason for going this time too.

We did the Princess Breakfast at Akershaus in Norway the last 2 times that we went and we are doing it again this time too. We absolutely love that meal. The princesses come right to the table and the interaction is great. They really pay attention to the kids. Plus the food is delicious.

I agree with previous posters that you should book the reservations for CRT and then if you decide that you don't want to go you can always cancel the reservation.

Hope you have a wonderful time in whatever you chose to do. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter