Disney preparing for a "very prolonged shutdown"?

After watching last night's "briefing" (none of them are brief...we need a new word for them).......about how the virus behaves under different temperatures and humidity.

One of the findings was that the virus lives for up to 2 hours on surfaces in an environment with a temperature of 95 degrees and 80% humidity, with no "solar"....so on a cloudy day. So then I took the 95 degrees and 80% humidity levels and ran it through a heat index calculator. And that's 134 degrees. And so, ok. Good to know. It's not even completely safe to outside on a cloudy day that is not compatible with human life. The virus will live 2 hours longer than I will. Awesome.

LOL! I mean...what on earth are they doing? It can still live for 2 hours on surfaces under those conditions, and that's supposed to make me feel *better*!!??!! I'm waiting for them to bring a microwave up on the dais so we can see if the virus does better on the "defrost" or "popcorn" settings.

So, if you do head to Disney this summer, if you happen to get a cloudy day for your MK day, and the heat index is lower than 134 degrees Fahrenheit, make sure to wear gloves, a mask and maybe just ride Dumbo.

Good grief.

UV light still comes through on cloudy days. Some of the worst sunburns are gotten on cloudy days.

With UV light, it changes the temp and humidity required greatly.

UV light still comes through on cloudy days. Some of the worst sunburns are gotten on cloudy days.

With UV light, it changes the temp and humidity required greatly.

View attachment 490815

True, good point. So, if you're outside, in the summer, you might not encounter much of the virus on surfaces.

Inside however, is a different story. COVID-19 apparently loves air-conditioning. Here's an outbreak that occurred in China that the CDC posted.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764-f1
Patient "A1" ate at this restaurant, and then developed a cough and a fever later in the day. The person infected nine other people in that restaurant, from that one meal. This restaurant had no windows, and so that was likely a factor. Opening a window apparently helps.

But think about your local restaurants, how many of them open windows in the summer? I was thinking of Victoria and Albert's at WDW....that's a windowless restaurant. Other than the entrance door....many restaurants at WDW are like that. There may be plate glass windows allowing light in, or off to the side of a larger lobby in the hotels, but they are mostly closed environments, with air conditioning.

True, good point. So, if you're outside, in the summer, you might not encounter much of the virus on surfaces.

Inside however, is a different story. COVID-19 apparently loves air-conditioning. Here's an outbreak that occurred in China that the CDC posted.

Patient "A1" ate at this restaurant, and then developed a cough and a fever later in the day. The person infected nine other people in that restaurant, from that one meal. This restaurant had no windows, and so that was likely a factor. Opening a window apparently helps.

But think about your local restaurants, how many of them open windows in the summer? I was thinking of Victoria and Albert's at WDW....that's a windowless restaurant. Other than the entrance door....many restaurants at WDW are like that. There may be plate glass windows allowing light in, or off to the side of a larger lobby in the hotels, but they are mostly closed environments, with air conditioning.

I am honestly confused that it’s taken this long to find out that opening a window helps. I have been out of child care for 17 years. Back then we were told to keep windows slightly open through flu season. Even if it was cold to at least open them for a few hours each day.

A lot of places here do have patios and balconies that they could use but not sure it would be enough to keep them open. Certainly may help along with take out and delivery. They can start using them here Monday so I guess we shall see.

That's new. Given that the source of blame was originally pinned on bats carrying the disease sold in a wet market in Wuhan, that sounds like either droplets from an infected person might have ended up being recirculated in the system, or the cooling towers must have been in contact with the bats or an infected engineer.

As for windows in restaurants, I've noticed BOG having a lack of them, despite it having windows on the inside, although those windows serve a different purpose. That said, air conditioners have been a disease problem since the 1970s, with Legionnaire's Disease being the disease that most commonly associated with air conditioners, but of course, the disease problem can easily be fixed through proper and regular maintenance. Can't see why that wouldn't be the case with COVID-19, seeing as the aftermath would make that even more rigorous.

That's new. Given that the source of blame was originally pinned on bats carrying the disease sold in a wet market in Wuhan, that sounds like either droplets from an infected person might have ended up being recirculated in the system, or the cooling towers must have been in contact with the bats or an infected engineer.

As for windows in restaurants, I've noticed BOG having a lack of them, despite it having windows on the inside, although those windows serve a different purpose. That said, air conditioners have been a disease problem since the 1970s, with Legionnaire's Disease being the disease that most commonly associated with air conditioners, but of course, the disease problem can easily be fixed through proper and regular maintenance. Can't see why that wouldn't be the case with COVID-19, seeing as the aftermath would make that even more rigorous.

I think they still believe that the virus started in that wet market in Wuhan, and that it's likely from one of the animals sold there, that ate bat poop.

One of the families that ate at this restaurant came from Wuhan to the city of Guangzhou, which is about 600 miles to the south. They traveled there and dined at this restaurant on January 24th, and then they were able to trace 8 additional cases to that one person, because they all dined at the same restaurant. He or she developed a fever and cough the next day, so they were very close to being symptomatic. But yes, the air conditioning thing is concerning. While this virus can live for long periods of time on surfaces, there's somewhat of an airborne quality to it. Not as bad as the measles, but worse than the flu for sure. Norovirus, lives much longer on surfaces, and that's why it's really rough on cruise ships. I've wondered if people on the cruise ships were getting sick because of the ventilation systems as well as touching things with the virus on it.

Here's the link to the whole CDC report....

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#tnF1

[
ventilation systems
I believe whenever preppers are putting together supplies for one situation or other, a couple of the things on their list of "outbreak" supplies pertain to this. I've seen mention of rolls of plastic and duct tape for multiple uses - tape around windows in case of gas or biological release, and also to tape up vents in one's home to make a "sick room". This is supposed to help prevent the spread of "whatever" through the house, and then opening the windows in the sick room. I've even seen pics of plastic taped up around doors into the room so anyone entering or exiting has to go through the flap. All precautionary, but at least covering the vents makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter