Disney preparing for a "very prolonged shutdown"?

And what about those high risk people who live with those healthy people who are out and working. Who gets to stay in the house? The senior parents who have managed to make it this far? Or the healthy kids (who are still at risk for catching the disease) and are now out exposing themselves to it?
Then they probably need to take precautions at home. Honestly, it's not a matter of not caring that people may get sick. I have health issues and am in the 'risk' category. I still realize that our country is going down and we'll be living in something worse than the Great Depression if we all decide we need to live in lock down until there's a cure, a vaccine, or the virus disappears.

I am so tired of hearing this. This isn’t how real life works! My son is high risk as an asthmatic. DH’s job won’t let him stay home unless it’s mandated. My girls’ school won’t let them unless it’s mandated. So then my only solution is to self-isolate my 11 year old to keep him safe? For how long?

I said this on another thread, but almost all of us have somebody high risk in our families, so then we all stay home and you still have no workforce for all the precious places you “need” to go. Except now there is no financial help for those needing to stay home.

Lastly, you’re off on your recovery rates. But even if you were right, recovery in your sense is simply not dying. But more and more studies are coming out that there are going to be so long lasting effects for people who got sick, so recovery is sort of a loose term right now.

Agree and I mean should my mother who lives alone and is older basically lock herself up for an unforseen longer period of time? and her only joy in life is looking forward to her grocery deliveries. What life is that?????

I am so sick of the let's protect the "vulnerable".. and have the "healthy" go back to life mantra. Allow people to work in many state plans also means opening bars/restaurants to get those people working again.. For me it's a sick idea that some younger guy now gets to enjoy his beer in a bar while my mom is told to stay at home and have groceries delivered.

So because there are vulnerable people (I am one of them just to be clear) who may get this virus, and may get sick enough to be hospitalized, or even die, our country and every person in this country should remain in lockdown for....months? Years?
You do realize that nobody who thinks we need to open our country again thinks it's important because they want to go out and drink a beer in a bar right?

You are calling people selfish for wanting to work and provide for their families. For wanting to visit and touch people. For wanting to live. Yet it's not selfish to want the entire country to stay home because you have a family member who might get this virus and their health issues mean they could get very sick or possibly die? (But they also might get the virus and be perfectly fine). I guess I just don't get how one is selfish but the other isn't.
You think it's not fair that your mother should lock herself up for an unforseen time, but that's what you want the entire US population to do?

I know there are die-hard Disney fans who can't wait to go and will go when it's open, but I also wonder how many will not. I'm not just applying the idea to Disney, but I wonder how many folks will not go out to eat, movies, etc. when it's finally deemed safe to do so. I know I won't.

I’m waiting on a vaccine before I go to large public gatherings.

A friend ( yes I know a lot of people) is the head manager at a Disney resort. They were one of the last to have guests. He was put on 3 days a week. 3rd shift. 20% pay cut. 2 people work each of the 3 shifts. They go around flushing toilets, running the sinks and showers and so forth in rotation to keep the building from going down hill. They haven’t been told but it’s his feeling is that it’s going to be longer closed than projected.

So because there are vulnerable people (I am one of them just to be clear) who may get this virus, and may get sick enough to be hospitalized, or even die, our country and every person in this country should remain in lockdown for....months? Years?
You do realize that nobody who thinks we need to open our country again thinks it's important because they want to go out and drink a beer in a bar right?

You are calling people selfish for wanting to work and provide for their families. For wanting to visit and touch people. For wanting to live. Yet it's not selfish to want the entire country to stay home because you have a family member who might get this virus and their health issues mean they could get very sick or possibly die? (But they also might get the virus and be perfectly fine). I guess I just don't get how one is selfish but the other isn't.
You think it's not fair that your mother should lock herself up for an unforseen time, but that's what you want the entire US population to do?

You missed the point of my post. I'll start with the easy to explain. Yes, there are people who want things to open so they can go drink a beer or go get their hair done. All you have to do is look at the protesters out there screaming at medical workers.

I also never said I expect the country to stay locked down forever. Or even until there is a vaccine. What I do want is responsible opening up things, in the correct order and when listening to HEALTH officials. Opening up tattoo parlors, hair & nail salons and massage parlors are not things that are needed right now. And in fact, actually hurt these business owners more. They will have to take such extreme precautions that they will only be able to see a fraction of regular clients, while supplying their own PPE (which by the way, can't be found) and also losing their unemployment benefits. More of these businesses will actually go out of business doing it this way.

I know at some point my family is likely to get this, including my son. But when that happens, I want there to be room in the hospital and the correct equipment to be available to treat him/us. Opening it up now, with no restrictions, will just delay the peak that we were trying to avoid. And then we will have wasted the last 5 weeks for nothing. Flattening the curve was always going to prolong how long we had to do this. I don't understand how people can't understand this. And it was never to avoid people getting it, just simply ensuring that there was enough staff and equipment to handle the cases.

I never used the world selfish, but I'll bite. Yes, I think it's selfish to want to lift orders in an extreme way. It's a slap in the face to our front line workers, especially our first responders & hospital staff who are literally risking their lives every day so the rest of us can sit at home and discuss this. Yes, I think it's selfish that people are willing to risk lives to go to the bar, out to dinner, to Disney, to get their hair done. Of course everybody wants to get back to work. News flash - we all actually want that! Some of us just see the science behind not doing it all at once or too soon. We all want to see our families and have human contact. We're all suffering. But politics should never come before human life.

You missed the point of my post. I'll start with the easy to explain. Yes, there are people who want things to open so they can go drink a beer or go get their hair done. All you have to do is look at the protesters out there screaming at medical workers.

I also never said I expect the country to stay locked down forever. Or even until there is a vaccine. What I do want is responsible opening up things, in the correct order and when listening to HEALTH officials. Opening up tattoo parlors, hair & nail salons and massage parlors are not things that are needed right now. And in fact, actually hurt these business owners more. They will have to take such extreme precautions that they will only be able to see a fraction of regular clients, while supplying their own PPE (which by the way, can't be found) and also losing their unemployment benefits. More of these businesses will actually go out of business doing it this way.

I know at some point my family is likely to get this, including my son. But when that happens, I want there to be room in the hospital and the correct equipment to be available to treat him/us. Opening it up now, with no restrictions, will just delay the peak that we were trying to avoid. And then we will have wasted the last 5 weeks for nothing. Flattening the curve was always going to prolong how long we had to do this. I don't understand how people can't understand this. And it was never to avoid people getting it, just simply ensuring that there was enough staff and equipment to handle the cases.

I never used the world selfish, but I'll bite. Yes, I think it's selfish to want to lift orders in an extreme way. It's a slap in the face to our front line workers, especially our first responders & hospital staff who are literally risking their lives every day so the rest of us can sit at home and discuss this. Yes, I think it's selfish that people are willing to risk lives to go to the bar, out to dinner, to Disney, to get their hair done. Of course everybody wants to get back to work. News flash - we all actually want that! Some of us just see the science behind not doing it all at once or too soon. We all want to see our families and have human contact. We're all suffering. But politics should never come before human life.

We laughed about this at work. What’s really the urgency to get a tattoo right now? And who really needs their nails done? What’s opening is ridiculous.

And in fact, actually hurt these business owners more. They will have to take such extreme precautions that they will only be able to see a fraction of regular clients, while supplying their own PPE (which by the way, can't be found) and also losing their unemployment benefits. More of these businesses will actually go out of business doing it this way.

I don't understand how more people don't see this. The economists and business owners, I've seen comment, not the pundits and politicians, all talk about this issue when asked about reopening. Until we solve the health care crisis, customer confidence will be unprecedentedly low, combined with the distancing restrictions, increased costs for cleaning, PPE, etc, businesses that reopen will not be able to stay in business. Their margins are tight already, we can't ask them to operate at a fraction of their previous levels and expect them to survive. They will still need enormous stimulus to remain in business, but we will have lost the "will" because these businesses are open. It's easier to get support when someone has lost 100% of their business. Banks are more willing, landlords are more willing, the government is more willing.

Opening too early is placing small businesses in the position to fail. I don't want to do that. Unlike, the narrative that people who support a delayed opening don't care about people who have lost their jobs... I really do. I don't want people to go back to a job only to lose it, permanently, in weeks or months. Income loss is a real problem, other countries are choosing to solve this in other ways, so there are alternatives.

My previous post told of our county commissioner opening our county for business despite the state of Wa. having a stay at home order in place - yesterday (lots of posts since then!). Today, the state responded. "In a letter sent on Wednesday to the Franklin County Commissioners, the Governor's Office states that the Commissioners are in direct violation of Governor Jay Inslee's "Stay Home" order. The Governor directs you to immediately retract or rescind the resolution adopted on April 21, 2020, that declares the county to be 'Open for Business' and any relevant guidance that purports to supersede state enforcement authority."

How about testing for antibodies since many people have already had it? Those who are immune get to go back into society, work, try to keep the economy going.
The problem with that theory is that nobody has yet shown that covid-19 antibodies = immunity. In fact, there are some cases in S. Korea which indicate otherwise.

Until antibodies = immunity, antibody tests (which are apparently another can of worms) really don't mean much.

That works, as long as the tests are quality controlled and have passed rigorous testing themselves to show that they produce accurate results. It also requires an understanding of what antibody levels provide immunity, if any, and how long that immunity lasts.

There's a few doughnut holes in that solution right at the moment.

Not to mention there are some serious supply chain issues with getting the stuff you need to do this sort of testing. It's not like the US is the ONLY country that wants to get it's hands on these supplies. It's going to take quite a bit of time before we get beyond testing health care workers and first responders for antibodies.

In Minnesota, the U and the Mayo clinic created their OWN antibody testing which DOES NOT depend on chemicals or equipment with known supply chain issues. I thought that was particularly smart. Even so, they are talking about testing capabilities of 10-15 K per day for each. Since we have roughly 6 million people, that still is a long *** time (200 days or so) just to get through every person in this state one time...and of course, subsequent testing for antibodies is going to be required if you test negative the first time, etc. None of this is quick. But, at least we've got something and are getting started.

Good points and also, how do we show proof of immunity? Would have to carry around some paperwork I guess.
I briefly mentioned this topic in a another thread before it got shut down for other reasons.

Having an immunity certificate would lead to so many unintended consequences that I really don’t think it’s a viable option. Just even setting up a protocol to verify authenticity of a cert is more than what the government has shown it is capable of doing so far.

Wow....those photos of boxes where people need to stand in queues really show how different the experience is going to be.

No choice though, it's the only way to do it. Anyone heading there is going to need to pack their patience for sure. I wonder how they'll space out seating in restaurants...etc. It's just a whole new world...and not in that great Aladdin-y kind of way.
I was looking at those boxes and wondering why the spacing between safe spots so different in each picture? One appears to show maybe one foot apart, another about three feet apart, and another about a mile apart. Are they testing spacing as well?

I don't understand how people don't get this part of it as well. And I'll add, not only do you want to ensure that there is a bed, but also that I'd like for the medical professionals to have a much greater understanding about how to treat this virus. I'm sure many of you on this thread are keeping up with the havoc that this virus can wreak on the body. The absolute crash that physicians are seeing in the critically ill is like nothing the medical community has ever seen before on this kind of scale. I've read that again, and again. There's the cytokine storm phenomenon, permanent lung damage, a sort of mini clotting storm, on and on. They haven't seen it.

They're learning more every single day with this thing. And I know we're likely to get it as well, but man, I'd prefer that be six months to a year from now when they know a hell of a lot more about this virus, and have a hell of a lot more tools in the tool box to treat it.

$275 + $600 is $21/hour! The processing is a major problem, but why is everyone commenting on how little unemployment is going to pay and things like "$600 extra will help." That alone is $15/hour and most of the people aside from the problem with processing is going to make more on unemployment than they did working.

Not a single person at my work wants to come back. They are all making a LOT more on unemployment with $573 PA plus the $600. The $15/hour folk we have are now pulling in an equivalent $22/hour. Not only that, but most also don't realize taxes are not taken out, so it's more than doubling of their pay until they are crying next year when their $8000 tax refunds are smaller. At $15/hour, they clear $400/week. Now they are getting $900/week.

Florida unemployment is $275 maximum. Not all of the them will get the maximum amount, probably very few actually. It’s a percentage of what they made while working. So while the extra 600 is great, it’s not exactly what you are saying.

And anyone getting unemployment can choose to have taxes held out so that’s is up to them. They ask you about it when you apply.

Unfortunately, they may be forced to shut down again if the CDC Director is right. In an interview with the Washington Post today, he warns that the second wave of COVID-19 next fall/winter will be far more deadly as it will coincide with the flu season. That's terrible news from a public health/human life perspective of course, but it has to be next to impossible for Disney to map out a strategy with such uncertainty in the weeks and months ahead. They've raised that boatload of cash, in case they need to ride this out for that prolonged period I'm afraid.
[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree ... Again respectfully...

I watched the Presidents address on this last night, and the CDC Director Robert Redfield took the podium to clarify what he said ... and what the Washington Post printed is not what he said... they totally mis-represented what he was saying... twisted it to suit the sensationalism that they were hoping for...

He said.... Robert Redfeild CDC director..... that in the fall when influenza starts back up he is urging the American people to get the influenza or "flu" shot... that is offered every fall... like it has been for years... so that if Corona virus starts showing up, that they know where, when and can address it right away and "snuff it out"... Like in the fall you get your regular flu shot, and if you start getting sick... when you go to the doctor they can determine right away... well you have had the flu shot... this might be corona virus, or or something different all together... he did say and well as Dr. Fauci and Dr. Deborah Brix .... basically said the same thing.... said, they feel Corona virus will/could/might be around in the fall, possibly... they can not predict the future... No one can... and that things are changing daily, even some times hourly... That the best way to help is the get your regular influenza "flu shot" this way if Corona starts up again... they can save time... to determine where and when it started up again...

They went over it and over it several ways... they want to contain it if it starts up again... and to get your regular influenza shot "flu shot" that is offered yearly... and that's the regular influenza "flu shot" has nothing to do with the Corona Virus or the vaccine that they are working on... this is the best way to make sure that if you get sick and have had your regular influenza shot... they can save time, and follow the trail, and not have this mess we have right now going on..

So get your regular Flu shot... pretty simple...

As well Jerome Adams - the Surgeon General took the podium... and talked about the wearing of Cloth mask again... he said... and its the same thing that he has been saying... That the mask are to protect you from infecting other people... in case you are asymptomatic, or are not sick yet if you have been expose... that the mask are not to prevent you from getting it... It is to protect you from giving it or spreading it..

So wear your mask out in public, to protect the public from you.... pretty simple...

We only watch the update from the President and the task force at night... and I watch what the Governor has to say here in Florida.... It news over load,.... and if you change the station or read on line... everyone is putting there spin on it... I basically have lost all faith in News and Media and what they report seem to be just hog wash... mixed with twisted, sensationalism...
Bring back the days of Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite...

Again Respectfully... Peace, Love and Pixie Dust...

I respectfully disagree ... Again respectfully...

I watched the Presidents address on this last night, and the CDC Director Robert Redfield took the podium to clarify what he said ... and what the Washington Post printed is not what he said... they totally mis-represented what he was saying... twisted it to suit the sensationalism that they were hoping for...

He said.... Robert Redfeild CDC director..... that in the fall when influenza starts back up he is urging the American people to get the influenza or "flu" shot... that is offered every fall... like it has been for years... so that if Corona virus starts showing up, that they know where, when and can address it right away and "snuff it out"... Like in the fall you get your regular flu shot, and if you start getting sick... when you go to the doctor they can determine right away... well you have had the flu shot... this might be corona virus, or or something different all together... he did say and well as Dr. Fauci and Dr. Deborah Brix .... basically said the same thing.... said, they feel Corona virus will/could/might be around in the fall, possibly... they can not predict the future... No one can... and that things are changing daily, even some times hourly... That the best way to help is the get your regular influenza "flu shot" this way if Corona starts up again... they can save time... to determine where and when it started up again...

They went over it and over it several ways... they want to contain it if it starts up again... and to get your regular influenza shot "flu shot" that is offered yearly... and that's the regular influenza "flu shot" has nothing to do with the Corona Virus or the vaccine that they are working on... this is the best way to make sure that if you get sick and have had your regular influenza shot... they can save time, and follow the trail, and not have this mess we have right now going on..

So get your regular Flu shot... pretty simple...

As well Jerome Adams - the Surgeon General took the podium... and talked about the wearing of Cloth mask again... he said... and its the same thing that he has been saying... That the mask are to protect you from infecting other people... in case you are asymptomatic, or are not sick yet if you have been expose... that the mask are not to prevent you from getting it... It is to protect you from giving it or spreading it..

So wear your mask out in public, to protect the public from you.... pretty simple...

We only watch the update from the President and the task force at night... and I watch what the Governor has to say here in Florida.... It news over load,.... and if you change the station or read on line... everyone is putting there spin on it... I basically have lost all faith in News and Media and what they report seem to be just hog wash... mixed with twisted, sensationalism...
Bring back the days of Dan Rather and Walter Cronkite...

Again Respectfully... Peace, Love and Pixie Dust...

I didn't get that - the way I understood is the director is worried that if people don't get their flu shot and end up in hospital, they will take up beds needed for Covid patients. The reason he said it would be more difficult is because this time we weren't really dealing with flu and Covid at same time and next fall we most likely will be.

But yes, get your flu shot this year!!!

I heard they were going to open in phases. First to locals, second to the US AND third to the rest of the world. No idea when this is all happening but it seems to make sense. And that all 3 theme parks, Disney, universal and sea world are all opening at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter