Disney preparing for a "very prolonged shutdown"?

Where I live (in Wa.) the county commissioner decided, today, that the governor's stay-at-home order is "unconstitutional" and he has reopened the county. Anyone who wants to go back to work, can. Businesses can reopen, people can where they want - no guidelines. Sheriff's dept. is backing him up - won't stop anyone or businesses from doing what they do. Meanwhile, numbers are just starting to go up here, even though there are areas in this state where numbers are going down. Seems half the politicians have lost their minds and the rest of us will pay for it. So, I'm staying home and saving for my next DW trip of course!
Oh, wow. I grew up in WA, so I had to look it up. In-laws lived in Kennewick (which I know is Benton) when DH and I got married. They always had some "very fine things" to say about the local "leadership." Nothing can go wrong here.

If you are high risk you are able to stay home and continue having deliveries for necessities. Let the healthy people go out and work.
And what about those high risk people who live with those healthy people who are out and working. Who gets to stay in the house? The senior parents who have managed to make it this far? Or the healthy kids (who are still at risk for catching the disease) and are now out exposing themselves to it?

There’s also the fact that there people out there that are merely carriers and show no symptoms at all. A healthy individual can come in contact with a carrier and not know it and now they are sick.
The best thing to do is wait it out, there are so many scientists out there who are working nonstop to find a vaccine and if possible a cure for this illness. They are having some good results with antibodies which is a good thing.
I am also one of those high risk people and I take every precaution I can, and I am terrified of a second wave coming towards us. So we need to be adult about what is happening and not be selfish as there is more at stake than just your health.

I’m so glad to hear that someone is opening a state again. If you are high risk you are able to stay home and continue having deliveries for necessities. Let the healthy people go out and work.
Disney can’t stay closed until the risk of the virus is gone. Or they’ll never open again. The virus has a 98% recovery rate (and likely higher as studies are confirming that many have it and don’t even know).

I am so tired of hearing this. This isn’t how real life works! My son is high risk as an asthmatic. DH’s job won’t let him stay home unless it’s mandated. My girls’ school won’t let them unless it’s mandated. So then my only solution is to self-isolate my 11 year old to keep him safe? For how long?

I said this on another thread, but almost all of us have somebody high risk in our families, so then we all stay home and you still have no workforce for all the precious places you “need” to go. Except now there is no financial help for those needing to stay home.

Lastly, you’re off on your recovery rates. But even if you were right, recovery in your sense is simply not dying. But more and more studies are coming out that there are going to be so long lasting effects for people who got sick, so recovery is sort of a loose term right now.

And what about those high risk people who live with those healthy people who are out and working. Who gets to stay in the house? The senior parents who have managed to make it this far? Or the healthy kids (who are still at risk for catching the disease) and are now out exposing themselves to it?
Agree and I mean should my mother who lives alone and is older basically lock herself up for an unforseen longer period of time? and her only joy in life is looking forward to her grocery deliveries. What life is that?????

I am so sick of the let's protect the "vulnerable".. and have the "healthy" go back to life mantra. Allow people to work in many state plans also means opening bars/restaurants to get those people working again.. For me it's a sick idea that some younger guy now gets to enjoy his beer in a bar while my mom is told to stay at home and have groceries delivered.

I’m so glad to hear that someone is opening a state again. If you are high risk you are able to stay home and continue having deliveries for necessities. Let the healthy people go out and work.
Disney can’t stay closed until the risk of the virus is gone. Or they’ll never open again. The virus has a 98% recovery rate (and likely higher as studies are confirming that many have it and don’t even know).
No, the state isn't opening. Our county is defying the Governor's stay-at-home order and opening just here. The state is closed until May 4th. This is not how government should be operating.

How would they possibly sanitze everything? I mean the grocery store can station an employee at the front to wipe down the handles of the carts, but how could Disney replicate this? They would have to keep stopping rides so that cast members can wipe things down. It's not practical. We need a vaccine or a viable treatment; lets all pray/send good thoughts/or do whatever is acceptable for your chosen belief system that the scientists will solve this thing for us.
On a colossal scale, the size of the Parks would definitely make it a logistical nightmare, yet it's easier to do it in the Disney Stores, which I'd expect will be the first large non-Parks part of Disney to re-open, local government lockdown depending. I can't possibly imagine Disney being able to constantly sanitise everything inside the Parks and Resorts, nor can I see them socially distance everyone or using thermometers to check every guests' temperatures where the local climate could lead to false positives being given.

However, and as I've mentioned numerous times, I can see the Disney Stores scrapping their controversial forced reusable bags if local ordinances (or a lack thereof) permit, seeing as I've heard grocery stores have been discouraging them, and since their image is now being tarnished by scientific concerns regarding them potentially being a vector of disease, and due to previous research highlighting hygiene concerns, I don't think CMs and guests will be confident enough to promote reusable bags, even after this is all over.

Also, the refillable mugs programme would necessitate sanitary protocols being in place for them as well. As much as they are a good idea in the grander scheme of things (particularly since they help to reduce single-use cup wastage and provide a lidded drinking vessel), similar concerns seen in the reusable bags could see a rethink in them, even though cups are a lot easier to clean in my honest opinion.

In the meantime, we can only pray that the steadfast efforts in finding a vaccine and/or viable treatment are fast enough to get us back to normal, lest we continue social distancing and/or lockdowns at the expense of the economy. But I can definitely see some changes becoming permanent, particularly with reusables.

Florida is just starting to plan for some sensible re-openings of some parts of the economy. We reopened 7/10 of one percent of our coastline and the Internet went nuts.

But WDW...I dunno. It sounds more simple than it is.

But just remember our last wait for a bus, or our last wait for the monorail, or our last bus or monorail ride, or parking lot tram ride, or our last walk down main street -- the picture starts to come into focus.

I can't imagine WDW reopening until the covid-19 threat is GONE.

My family was just having this discussion last night at dinner. We have a 2 week trip booked for the beginning of August this year. My kids were discussing how they would manage ride Q's etc. My wife brought up the transportation situation. Lines for buses, monorails etc., not to mention the "pack them in like a sardine" factor ON the buses, monorails and boats.

There is no way they are going to open and function anywhere near normal for a very long time. I just don't understand how they could even begin too at this point. Even if they did, with really tight restrictions on all this in place, it would make a WDW vacation very very different. It also, at least to our family, would not make it worth the cost unless prices were slashed to compensate.

No, the state isn't opening. Our county is defying the Governor's stay-at-home order and opening just here. The state is closed until May 4th. This is not how government should be operating.

Yeah, this piecemeal approach is not going to work well, with some places opening and some not. We need a comprehensive national plan with goals to meet for reopening certain sectors at a time, and in my opinion, the key to being able to do that is testing on a massive scale ... both testing for the actual disease plus antibody testing. I don't think we're anywhere near the capacity we need to safely reopen anything right now.

On the question of Disney, I think it is just too logistically challenging to expect they are going to open in the next few months (and possibly have to shut down again). The workforce, the training, the ride maintenance, the re-establishing of food deliveries, the setting up of new protocols for sanitizing things better (not that I think it would be a huge help). I think Disney will reopen incrementally, when it seems to be getting safer, and maybe first select some of the resorts to open, followed by just one park at a time. I know just a trip to Orlando to enjoy AKL or Beach Club for a few nights may not be an impressive vacation, but I don't think their goal would be to draw visitors from all over. I think mainly the first guests would be locals or within a few hours drive who just want a break from their house. I know if I felt more safe about the virus situation, I sure wouldn't mind a trip where I just enjoy lounging by a pool, and have someone make my bed and feed me!

Agree and I mean should my mother who lives alone and is older basically lock herself up for an unforseen longer period of time? and her only joy in life is looking forward to her grocery deliveries. What life is that?????

I am so sick of the let's protect the "vulnerable".. and have the "healthy" go back to life mantra. Allow people to work in many state plans also means opening bars/restaurants to get those people working again.. For me it's a sick idea that some younger guy now gets to enjoy his beer in a bar while my mom is told to stay at home and have groceries delivered.

So because your mother would choose not to go out and about no one else in the country should be able to either? I just want to make sure I correctly understand your argument.

I am so tired of hearing this. This isn’t how real life works! My son is high risk as an asthmatic. DH’s job won’t let him stay home unless it’s mandated. My girls’ school won’t let them unless it’s mandated. So then my only solution is to self-isolate my 11 year old to keep him safe? For how long?

I said this on another thread, but almost all of us have somebody high risk in our families, so then we all stay home and you still have no workforce for all the precious places you “need” to go. Except now there is no financial help for those needing to stay home.

Lastly, you’re off on your recovery rates. But even if you were right, recovery in your sense is simply not dying. But more and more studies are coming out that there are going to be so long lasting effects for people who got sick, so recovery is sort of a loose term right now.

Thank you for saying all of this. My husband has mild asthma, so are concerned enough that I do all of the trips out that need to happen. We're also doing all of the shopping for my in-laws (deliveries to our house....I schlep it down to them), they're 88 and 85. My sister is taking care of plugging the holes for my late 70s parents, my father being incredibly compromised with COPD. I don't think he'll ever leave the house again. It's hard for me to even talk about that.

We're also beginning to see studies that people with "less severe" cases that did not require hospitalization, may have long term lung damage, even if you are young. I'm just so weary of COVID-19 being compared to the flu, whether it be from a contagion standpoint (not even close), a mortality rate (not even close)...and just from the obvious standpoint that I'm reading new discoveries about this virus every day.

Also, keep in mind that according to the CDC guidelines on the "reopening of America" on the whitehouse website it isn't until Phase 3 that "Vulnerable Individuals" should head back out, and when they do this is what the CDC says, not just about the Vulnerable, but also about the rest of us.

VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS can resume public interactions, but should practice physical distancing, minimizing exposure to social settings where distancing may not be practical, unless precautionary measures are observed.

LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments.

That's Phase 3. Low-Risk populations should minimize time spent in crowded environments. Vulnerable need to social distance and minimize social settings. A social setting to me sounds like...a party, a wedding....certainly not Disney world.

Also, when you take a peek at who the vulnerable are, well, let's face it, we're not the healthiest lot in America. And Disney in particular has a fan base that lines up well with America. Morbid Obesity is preexisting condition in young people. I'm reading a lot about obese and morbidly obese young men either getting very ill, or dying for this virus. Diabetes and Hypertension are vulnerabilities listed. That would be an awful lot of just overweight people with those. Any type of lung issues, breathing issues puts you at an increased risk, including asthma. And anyone taking medications to suppress their immunity, like chemo patients, and those with diseases like Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, transplant recipients and multiple sclerosis.

That's a lot of people.

You do realise that healthy young people are dying from this as well right?

My family was just having this discussion last night at dinner. We have a 2 week trip booked for the beginning of August this year. My kids were discussing how they would manage ride Q's etc. My wife brought up the transportation situation. Lines for buses, monorails etc., not to mention the "pack them in like a sardine" factor ON the buses, monorails and boats.

There is no way they are going to open and function anywhere near normal for a very long time. I just don't understand how they could even begin too at this point. Even if they did, with really tight restrictions on all this in place, it would make a WDW vacation very very different. It also, at least to our family, would not make it worth the cost unless prices were slashed to compensate.

Right, and every time I think of the packed buses, parks, and especially restaurants, I think of the "Super Spreader Events" that we've learned about all over this country. The Biogen event in Boston at the end of February was one of them. 99 people who were at that event, left feeling fine, got on planes and returns to six states and a couple of countries....they all ended up with COVID-19 because someone at that conference was a super spreader.

There are also lots and lots of business conferences and group events at Disney, including weddings. When the same people are around each other for several days, but then also co-mingling with people in the parks.

And like I said in another post, Governor DeSantis is thinking that one way to go is to have guests checking into Florida hotels/resorts to have to take a rapid COVID-19 test. Again, ok. When we have a spare zillion of those? And even when we get to the point where we have enough to test sick people, and healthcare workers. Who should get the next batch? I'm thinking essential workers, like those working in chicken/meat processing plants. Delivery services, truckers...on and on.

I would not be surprised if the Disney parks shutdown lasts into next year, for all the reasons you list above.

Are you folks not paying attention to the news coming out of Florida right now? Everything points to a Disney opening fairly soon.

You can post common sense facts all day long but if Disney and the Florida Governor decide they are ready all of those things just don’t matter.

Are you folks not paying attention to the news coming out of Florida right now? Everything points to a Disney opening fairly soon.

You can post common sense facts all day long but if Disney and the Florida Governor decide they are ready all of those things just don’t matter.
Perhaps a limited opening until the 2nd wave...

According to an article in the FT, Disney has laid off 100,000 cast members this week. 70,000 in Orlando alone. They will keep their health benefits, but Florida pays only $275 a week in unemployment, for just 12 weeks. The $600 extra from the CARES act would help. But keep in mind that Florida has processed a whopping 6% of their unemployment claims. These cast members are going to have to get in line behind everyone else.
$275 + $600 is $21/hour! The processing is a major problem, but why is everyone commenting on how little unemployment is going to pay and things like "$600 extra will help." That alone is $15/hour and most of the people aside from the problem with processing is going to make more on unemployment than they did working.

Not a single person at my work wants to come back. They are all making a LOT more on unemployment with $573 PA plus the $600. The $15/hour folk we have are now pulling in an equivalent $22/hour. Not only that, but most also don't realize taxes are not taken out, so it's more than doubling of their pay until they are crying next year when their $8000 tax refunds are smaller. At $15/hour, they clear $400/week. Now they are getting $900/week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter