Disney or Universal First?!

aprilbabes

Mouseketeer
Heading to Disney and Universal in April. This will be our 5th Disney trip (although we haven’t been in a few years) and first time at Universal. We’ll be staying at a Disney for 5 nights (Poly) and universal (probably PB) for 2. I just can’t figure out which to do first!! My original thought was to do Universal first because after 5 nights at Disney, we’d be tired and the thought of packing up and switching resorts and starting again seemed dreadful. However, now I’m hearing that Universal is more laid back and relaxed and the “better” way to end the trip.

I don't think there's a right or wrong. Universal is more laid back as there isn't much planning involved. I say just flip a coin

I don't think there's a right or wrong way. We actually wound up mixing our Universal days with Disney days back in November and it was really fun. We had our own vehicle, though.

We did Universal before Disney on our last trip (was our first time at Universal) and it was fine. I think you’ll be fine either way.

We're doing Universal first -- our first time there -- in 3 weeks. Two nights at Portofino Bay (with a 2 day park-to-park ticket) and then 6 nights at the Polynesian (with 5 day park hoppers).

We're actually planning to spend longer days at Universal, so we figured doing that first was best. Our "plan" for Disney is parks in the morning, afternoon pool breaks, and then parks in the evening.

We normally do Universal last, and this trip we are just because of the dates. We are going in December and Universal is in the middle of the month instead of the beginning when we’re going to Disney. Universal has the express pass with Royal Pacific so we wanted to go there when it was busier and the wait times wouldn’t affect us as much.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are using Magic Express. Disney has the luggage check in at the resort on the way back, and I would rather do that than have ME to the resort. Not dealt no with luggage at the end of your trip is awesome.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are using Magic Express. Disney has the luggage check in at the resort on the way back, and I would rather do that than have ME to the resort. Not dealt no with luggage at the end of your trip is awesome.

This is a great point. I don't think there is a right or wrong to the order, but ME at the end of the trip is a great tip.

You can easily plan for afternoon breaks at Universal, too, because you will get so much more done on the Express Pass. I don't know the PB pool, but the Royal Pacific and Cabana Bay pools are amazing and our kids love spending time there. Last year, we were allowed to pool hop from Royal to Cabana. It was fun.

We usually do Disney first then Universal. However, the last week in April (April 27-29th) at Disney is the World Cheerleading and Dance Competition. Although the competition is only 3 days, the entire week before is filled with cheerleaders and dancers (my daughter and self included). I am not sure which days in April your vacation is so I just thought I would let you know :). Hope you enjoy your vacation!!

We're doing Universal first -- our first time there -- in 3 weeks. Two nights at Portofino Bay (with a 2 day park-to-park ticket) and then 6 nights at the Polynesian (with 5 day park hoppers).

We're actually planning to spend longer days at Universal, so we figured doing that first was best. Our "plan" for Disney is parks in the morning, afternoon pool breaks, and then parks in the evening.

You will love US/IOA. The Portofino is wonderful but it is the furthest away from the parks. Be prepared to wait for the boat! We love US/IOA but we always stay at Hard Rock. You will love the FOTL passes that come with your hotel stay!

We usually do Disney first then Universal. However, the last week in April (April 27-29th) at Disney is the World Cheerleading and Dance Competition. Although the competition is only 3 days, the entire week before is filled with cheerleaders and dancers (my daughter and self included). I am not sure which days in April your vacation is so I just thought I would let you know :). Hope you enjoy your vacation!!
Our daughter is also planning to be at the competition. This will be her first time and we have no idea what it will be like. Which resort do the girls usually stay at?
Thank you :)

Our daughter is also planning to be at the competition. This will be her first time and we have no idea what it will be like. Which resort do the girls usually stay at?
Thank you :)
The cheerleaders are usually always housed at All Star Sports and All Star Movies. Last year my daughter competed in the Dance Competition and they were housed at Coronado. You will have a great time!

Thank you for the reply. This is Mrs. DennyBoy :) Is your daughter in the Dance Competition next year or the Cheerleading?

On our combo WDW/US trip we had already been to WDW a couple times but it was our first time at US. I think we liked having something new (US) to look forward to at the end of the week.

I think our 2 days at Universal were more relaxing for us because everything is close together and the Express Pass you get with PBH means no real advance planning. So a nice way to end after 5.5 days at WDW.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter