Disney only cruise operator in baltic this summer?

newfamilyman

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Disney has gone from the last major cruise operator to pull out from St. Petersburg to the only major cruise operator still scheduling stops in the baltic this summer. As someone still on the 11-night cruise from Dover to Copenhagen, this is a bit frustrating. Anyone else still on Disney baltic cruises?

Not sure what you mean. Holland America is scheduled to go to the Baltics and has replaced their St. Petersburg port.
They're going on June 10, July 6, and July 31.

Another major cruise line drops Baltic cruises in wake of Ukraine war
Make that three of the world’s biggest cruise lines that have pulled the plug on a wide swath of Baltic sailings in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Europe-based MSC Cruises on Wednesday canceled all Baltic cruises for the year on its 4,842-passenger MSC Grandiosa — one of several ships it had scheduled to operate in the region.
The 2-year-old vessel instead will sail to the Norwegian Fjords, the line said.

Two more MSC Cruises ships, the 3,502-passenger MSC Preziosa and 2,550-passenger MSC Poesia also will adjust their schedules to spend more of the year in the Norwegian fjords instead of the Baltic.
The announcement from MSC Cruises came just two days after Norwegian Cruise Line and Princess Cruises canceled a significant number of their Baltic sailings for the year.
Norwegian on Monday notified travel agents it had canceled all Baltic departures scheduled to take place from June 14 to Oct. 9 on the 3,963-passenger Norwegian Getaway.
Norwegian also canceled additional Norwegian Getaway departures scheduled to take place in other parts of Europe between Oct. 18 and Nov. 27.
Norwegian Getaway will be redeployed, but Norwegian has yet to say where.
Princess on Monday dropped all round-trip Baltic sailings out of Copenhagen, Denmark, on the 3,660-passenger Enchanted Princess for the year.
All of the world’s major cruise lines, including MSC Cruises, Norwegian and Princess pulled calls at St. Petersburg, Russia, from Baltic itineraries in the days after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, citing safety concerns for passengers and crew. But initially the lines were adamant that the Baltic cruises would still operate, albeit with slightly changed itineraries.
“The Baltic ships will stay in the Baltic, [and] the Med[iterranean] ships will stay in the Med,” Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings president and CEO Frank Del Rio told Wall Street analysts during a conference call on Feb. 24, the day Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began.
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is the parent company of Norwegian, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Oceania Cruises.
This week’s cancellation of large swaths of Baltic cruises at MSC Cruises, Norwegian and Princess is a sign the lines were struggling to hold on to bookings for the itineraries without St. Petersburg on the schedule.

Known as Russia’s cultural capital and famous for its historic palaces and museums, St. Petersburg is considered the main attraction of Baltic sailings. Cruise ships that sail in the region often dock in the city for two or three days to allow for extended touring.
In a statement, Princess acknowledged the booking downturn, saying it canceled the Baltic sailings on Enchanted Princess “due to commercial considerations related to this ship’s full season of Baltic cruises.”
Noting “stronger demand for cruising from the U.K.” for the coming summer season, Princess said it would move Enchanted Princess to Southampton, England, for non-Baltic sailings.
Princess will continue to operate select Baltic cruises on two other vessels based in Europe for the coming summer, the 2,200-passenger Island Princess and 3,660-passenger Sky Princess.
Norwegian also will continue to operate a handful of Baltic cruises, including a few early season sailings on Norwegian Getaway and several more sailings scheduled to take place on its 2,340-passenger Norwegian Dawn.
Another major Baltic cruise operator, Viking, on Monday announced that it was significantly revamping its 14-night Baltic itinerary — known as Viking Homelands — for the summer. The itinerary now will be much more focused on Norway and Denmark.
In addition to dropping St. Petersburg from the itinerary, which was previously announced, Viking on Monday said it would drop Helsinki, Finland, and Tallinn, Estonia, from the itinerary. Added stops include an overnight stay in Oslo, Norway, and a visit to Bornholm, Denmark.

From ThePointsGuy.com

Not sure what Disney can do or say. They don't control wars.
Or all the different restrictions. You have countries with zero restrictions just a passport…one that requires a booster within 4 months and then a bunch with everything in between. Some require testing some don’t.

If they are going to sail out of Europe the rules for each cruise may be different. They should start letting people know if they need a third or fourth jab. Not everyone is going to be down with that.

They can do what all the other large cruise operators have done, which is to make up their mind if they are going to still maintain the cruise as scheduled and if not, inform their customers.

They can do what all the other large cruise operators have done, which is to make up their mind if they are going to still maintain the cruise as scheduled and if not, inform their customers.

I believe DCL sent out an email to anyone on these Baltic cruises stating they would be providing further information by the end of March. Whether they do that or not is yet to be seen, but at least they did provide a timeline.

I believe DCL sent out an email to anyone on these Baltic cruises stating they would be providing further information by the end of March. Whether they do that or not is yet to be seen, but at least they did provide a timeline.
That was a timeline about replacing the St. Petersburg ports. Since then, most, if not every, other major cruise line has eliminated some of the other ports in the baltic itinerary, including stops in Estonia and Finland.

So taking into account an understanding of geo-politics and international conflict I realize Disney does not control wars. With that said there are long standing alternatives in the region that could be used, they could make those days sea days, or they could cancel. Given the effort and sometimes cost to adjust plans the sooner a decision is made and communicated the better but as with many things these days Disney is the last to let it’s patrons know. And because their phone, chat and technology issues are happening it’s impossible to speak to someone in a timely manner.

Or all the different restrictions. You have countries with zero restrictions just a passport…one that requires a booster within 4 months and then a bunch with everything in between. Some require testing some don’t.

If they are going to sail out of Europe the rules for each cruise may be different. They should start letting people know if they need a third or fourth jab. Not everyone is going to be down with that.
Let's be honest, Disney doesn't know yet what the requirements will be.

So taking into account an understanding of geo-politics and international conflict I realize Disney does not control wars. With that said there are long standing alternatives in the region that could be used, they could make those days sea days, or they could cancel. Given the effort and sometimes cost to adjust plans the sooner a decision is made and communicated the better but as with many things these days Disney is the last to let it’s patrons know. And because their phone, chat and technology issues are happening it’s impossible to speak to someone in a timely manner.
No different that covid. Things are changing on a daily basis. Hard to be timely today when you don't know what is happening tomorrow, or when the Baltic cruises are schedule.

Again, too soon to know to decide. The risk of booking a cruise in this current environment.

No different that covid. Things are changing on a daily basis. Hard to be timely today when you don't know what is happening tomorrow, or when the Baltic cruises are schedule.
Well I guess our definitions of timely are different. Given the agility of other lines to adjust and maneuver I expected the same from DCL. Oh well, look forward to info when it comes.

I feel DCL has their hands full between the upgrade last week, ever-changing Covid regulations and now war. Given the other cruise lines have only announced their scheduling change in the past day or so, DCL can't be far behind. I hope.

I feel DCL has their hands full between the upgrade last week, ever-changing Covid regulations and now war. Given the other cruise lines have only announced their scheduling change in the past day or so, DCL can't be far behind. I hope.
I hope, too. That being said, for the exorbitant amount of money that they charge for these cruises, I don't think it's too much to hope or even expect that they should at the front of the pack, not the laggards at the back. They certainly don't aspire to be the laggards when it comes to their theme park or timeshare operations, so why should it be different for their cruises?

Again, too soon to know to decide. The risk of booking a cruise in this current environment.
If it's not too soon for MSC Cruises, and it's not too soon for Norwegian Cruise Line, and it's not too soon for Princess Cruise Line, and it's not too soon for Viking Cruise Line, then what is your basis of determining that it's too soon for Disney?

I hope, too. That being said, for the exorbitant amount of money that they charge for these cruises, I don't think it's too much to hope or even expect that they should at the front of the pack, not the laggards at the back. They certainly don't aspire to be the laggards when it comes to their theme park or timeshare operations, so why should it be different for their cruises?
100% agree!!

Royal Caribbean is still sailing Baltic cruises from Copenhagen or Stockholm this summer, and going to Estonia and Finland.

Let's be honest, Disney doesn't know yet what the requirements will be.
And they probably won't until a week before a cruise. Everything changes quickly. I'm not sure how Disney manages that, but that's their problem if they sail in Europe, not mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter