• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney on Christmas and New Years - Am I Crazy?!?!?

WDWFantasmicFan

Uber Disney Fan
So today I went ahead and booked a 3 week vacation to Disney for Christmas and New Year 2018/19. Our current plans are for MK for Christmas Day and Epcot for NYE. Am I crazy?!

A few points;
- We've been plenty of times before so know which FP's to plan for
- Would it be ideal to book dining in the parks on those days?
- Should we consider doing park open till park close?
- Would it be worth looking to stay in a Epcot area Resort for one night on NYE? (there'll be 8 of us, so that'd be cost permitting...). Or is there a non-Epcot area resort we could walk to?
- Any tips for Christmas Day and NYE at Disney?

If you're crazy, then so am I:)---We're going this year December 24th-January 1st. I've been planning for almost a year! When I get back, I'd be happy to share what strategies worked.

Include me on the crazy train...woo woo! We'll be there Dec 23-Jan 1 this year. From what I've been reading staying at a resort in walking distance of Epcot for NYE is well worth it. But for us its cost prohibitive.

If you're crazy, then so am I:)---We're going this year December 24th-January 1st. I've been planning for almost a year! When I get back, I'd be happy to share what strategies worked.
Have a magical trip (and hope it isn't too crazy busy!). Look forward to hearing your strategies!

Include me on the crazy train...woo woo! We'll be there Dec 23-Jan 1 this year. From what I've been reading staying at a resort in walking distance of Epcot for NYE is well worth it. But for us its cost prohibitive.
Yes, that is my worry. I'll look into it, but it may be too expensive for me too. Have a great trip!

Sounds awesome! We went for Christmas week one year and had a great time! Remember to check out all of the holiday decorations at the Deluxe resorts when the parks get too crowded for you. We did that and it really helped plus they look so great during the holidays! I'm jealous!!

Last edited:
Yes, that is my worry. I'll look into it, but it may be too expensive for me too. Have a great trip!

Since you are booking this plenty of time in advance, I'd recommend looking into renting DVC points. You can stay at a deluxe for the price of staying at a moderate or even less. I'm looking into staying at the Boardwalk next Labor Day week and the price will be about $170/night renting points - that includes taxes! It will cost more than that during the holidays of course, but will still be significantly cheaper than booking a regular room.

Last edited:

Not crazy at all!
Been there, done that, loved it!!

It's not necessary to stay at an Epcot resort NYE. Just chill at Epcot for about an hour and a half after the fireworks. Then take your resort bus with ease.

Sounds awesome! We went for Christmas week one year and had a great time! Remember to check out all of the holiday decorations at the Deluxe resorts when the parks get too crowded for you. We did that and it really helped plus they look so great during the holidays! I'm jealous!!
It should be good, i'm looking forward to it just a tad worried about the crowds (although we do tend to go in summer, so used to reasonably busy crowds anyway). Resort hopping to check out the Christmas decorations is definitely on our list of things to do!

It’s a good crazy. Being 3 weeks means you’ll have plenty of non-busy days, so you can plan easier days on the really busy days. For those busiest days, definitely plan on-park restaurants and no break outside the park. You can strategically place meals, shows, etc. to get some rest time. If you are planning some pay experiences (dessert parties, CP meals, etc.) plan them on busy days to get out of the crowds.

Walked my distance to Epcot would be very wise for NYE, in my experience.

Since you are booking this plenty of time in advance, I'd recommend looking into renting DVC points. You can stay at a deluxe for the price of staying at a moderate or even less. I'm looking into staying at the Boardwalk next Labor Day week and the price will be about $170/night renting points - that includes taxes!
Ooooh, that sounds like it could be an option. I'm a bit of Disney Resort newbie (been to Disney quite a bit, but never stayed onsite), how do you rent DVC points? How does it all work?

Since you'll have a 21 day stay I'm thinking it'll give enough time to explore the beauty of the holiday spirit a la Disney without mad rushing and crazed prices for hard ticket items. We are still on the see saw as to whether we'll step foot in MK for Christmas Day but are decided that EPCOT is the answer for New Year's Eve.

Based on what I'm reading/hearing you should find a park and stick to it on both of those days.

We'll be there December 22 through January 2nd or 3rd and I'm trying my best to make a low crowd experience through most of NYE and giggle worthy day of the 25th of December.
Good luck with your planning!

Not crazy at all!
Been there, done that, loved it!!

It's not necessary to stay at an Epcot resort NYE. Just chill at Epcot for about an hour and a half after the fireworks. Then take your resort bus with ease.
We'd be staying off site, and i've heard horror stories of traffic leaving the park, which is why I was considering a Epcot resort for 1 night. Or will the traffic die down a bit if we wait it out in the park for an hour or so?

Ooooh, that sounds like it could be an option. I'm a bit of Disney Resort newbie (been to Disney quite a bit, but never stayed onsite), how do you rent DVC points? How does it all work?

I use David's, but they do have a minimum number of points you have to book, so I don't think you can do just one night - just saw that you are staying offsite for your trip.

We'd be staying off site, and i've heard horror stories of traffic leaving the park, which is why I was considering a Epcot resort for 1 night. Or will the traffic die down a bit if we wait it out in the park for an hour or so?

I wonder if you might book a dinner at one of the Epcot resorts, then park your car there and eat, go to the park for the fireworks, then take your time going back to your car after the fireworks.

It’s a good crazy. Being 3 weeks means you’ll have plenty of non-busy days, so you can plan easier days on the really busy days. For those busiest days, definitely plan on-park restaurants and no break outside the park. You can strategically place meals, shows, etc. to get some rest time. If you are planning some pay experiences (dessert parties, CP meals, etc.) plan them on busy days to get out of the crowds.

Walked my distance to Epcot would be very wise for NYE, in my experience.
I don't mind a good crazy!! Yes, non-busy days sound good - we are going 2 weeks before xmas and returning in early January, so hoping at least our first week will be relatively quiet in comparison. We are planning to do a dessert party on the 29th (as we have a 50th birthday in our party on that date), and hopefully (if I can get the booking) will rent one of those private boat pontoons for the Epcot NYE fireworks - if they are still running those?? We may do CRT on Christmas Day, but also considering somewhere like Liberty Tree Tavern.

Since you'll have a 21 day stay I'm thinking it'll give enough time to explore the beauty of the holiday spirit a la Disney without mad rushing and crazed prices for hard ticket items. We are still on the see saw as to whether we'll step foot in MK for Christmas Day but are decided that EPCOT is the answer for New Year's Eve.

Based on what I'm reading/hearing you should find a park and stick to it on both of those days.

We'll be there December 22 through January 2nd or 3rd and I'm trying my best to make a low crowd experience through most of NYE and giggle worthy day of the 25th of December.
Good luck with your planning!
Yes, we have plenty of time to enjoy the holiday offerings across the resort, and have some 'down time' back at the villa etc. Not going to bother with MVMCP as we'll be able to see most of the offerings Christmas week anyway. We are also on a see saw for MK on Christmas Day, but Epcot on NYE is for certain.

Have a magical trip! Please do report back with any tips & tricks you learn along the way!

I use David's, but they do have a minimum number of points you have to book, so I don't think you can do just one night - just saw that you are staying offsite for your trip.
I'll still take a look, as if they come up at >$200 per night, maybe I could stretch to a couple of days in a resort. Or maybe another DVC rental company may not have a minimum. Definitely something to look into, so thanks for suggesting it :)
I wonder if you might book a dinner at one of the Epcot resorts, then park your car there and eat, go to the park for the fireworks, then take your time going back to your car after the fireworks.
Thats a possibility too. That way I may avoid the main roads which will be congested with everyone leaving the park from the front. Alternatively, I did wonder whether it'd be better to park at DHS and walk along the Boardwalk back to the car? Do you think there'd be any benefit to that or would traffic still be just as bad?

I'll still take a look, as if they come up at >$200 per night, maybe I could stretch to a couple of days in a resort. Or maybe another DVC rental company may not have a minimum. Definitely something to look into, so thanks for suggesting it :)

Thats a possibility too. That way I may avoid the main roads which will be congested with everyone leaving the park from the front. Alternatively, I did wonder whether it'd be better to park at DHS and walk along the Boardwalk back to the car? Do you think there'd be any benefit to that or would traffic still be just as bad?

No problem, I think renting points is definitely worth looking into! They have a cost calculator on their website that is very easy to use! The price is probably over $200/night though considering the holidays are "peak" pricing and Labor Day week isn't.

I've never been there for NYE, so I can't offer much advice there. Maybe someone else here who has been to Epcot during that time can offer more tips.

Have a fabulous trip!!

No problem, I think renting points is definitely worth looking into! They have a cost calculator on their website that is very easy to use! The price is probably over $200/night though considering the holidays are "peak" pricing and Labor Day week isn't.

I've never been there for NYE, so I can't offer much advice there. Maybe someone else here who has been to Epcot during that time can offer more tips.

Have a fabulous trip!!
Bookings aren't open for the date I want yet (as it goes into 2019), but the 30th-31st Dec 2018 is coming up at $986 for a 2 bedroom Boardwalk villa (there is 8 of us, so that'll probably be cheaper than separate rooms). It is a lot of money, but not sure if it'd be worth it to avoid the crazy traffic and crowds on NYE. Will definitely keep it in mind for future trips too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter